Strange landing at SJC

Old August 21st 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fillard Millmore

Default Strange landing at SJC

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in news:6D_qk.361$5C.65@trnddc02:

No, they can't operate with tailwinds that high. Typicla limits are 15
knots, though I have operated with a limit of 25 for take off and landing
in an airport with only one way in and out. We had special perfomrance
sheets for that.

Bertie

Oh yeah, since you haven't done it, it could never happen.

Did little Anthony inherit this trait from you?

Old August 21st 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,alt.fan.karl-malden.nose
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Fillard Millmore" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
news

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in news:6D_qk.361$5C.65@trnddc02:

No, they can't operate with tailwinds that high. Typicla limits are
15 knots, though I have operated with a limit of 25 for take off and
landing in an airport with only one way in and out. We had special
perfomrance sheets for that.

Bertie

Oh yeah, since you haven't done it, it could never happen.

Nope, because the manufaturers say so , dickbreath.

Bertie
Old August 21st 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
morgan mair fheal

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

"Fillard Millmore" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
news

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in news:6D_qk.361$5C.65@trnddc02:

No, they can't operate with tailwinds that high. Typicla limits are
15 knots, though I have operated with a limit of 25 for take off and
landing in an airport with only one way in and out. We had special
perfomrance sheets for that.

Bertie

Oh yeah, since you haven't done it, it could never happen.

Nope, because the manufaturers say so , dickbreath.

besides if you dont really know whats where
theres traffic from moffet that travels roughly the same n-s direction
but a few miles west

and traffic from north takes a south leg either side of the airport
then turns base down near capitol expressway before turning final

arf meow arf - raggedy ann and andy for president and vice
limp and spineless lint for brains is better yet and nice
then rueing pair of shrub and dick the republican lice
call me desdenova seven seven seven seven seven seven
Old August 24th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Alexander Avtanski" wrote in message

I checked the approach audio too - at about 24min 20sec of this
recording some guy says something about "we've lost a receiver", but I
can't make the rest. Here's the audio (don't forget to scroll to the
24:20 mark!):

http://avtanski.net/images/var/KSJC-...2008-2130Z.mp3

What's this about? Just curious...

FAA flight check uses NAV receivers in the back of the plane coupled to a
computer that checks the ILS equipment. They could have had some type of
glitch in the middle of a run which would require them to do the last run
over. That's my guess.

FAA flight check has numerous planes. They have a few Lear 35s, but most of
their planes are King-Airs. All of them have 2 digit N numbers.

Old August 24th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_3_]

"Mike" wrote in message
"Alexander Avtanski" wrote in message

I checked the approach audio too - at about 24min 20sec of this
recording some guy says something about "we've lost a receiver", but I
can't make the rest. Here's the audio (don't forget to scroll to the
24:20 mark!):

http://avtanski.net/images/var/KSJC-...2008-2130Z.mp3

What's this about? Just curious...

FAA flight check uses NAV receivers in the back of the plane coupled to a
computer that checks the ILS equipment. They could have had some type of
glitch in the middle of a run which would require them to do the last run
over. That's my guess.

FAA flight check has numerous planes. They have a few Lear 35s, but most
of their planes are King-Airs. All of them have 2 digit N numbers.

I used to watch the FAA conduct check flights at TEB and at other times at
SJC. They oftentimes made several runs at the approach NAVAID...on coarse
and at the limit instrument deviation. I don't know exactly what their plan
was but it was more than 1 pass.

Old August 26th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

The number of passes they make depends on what type of ILS it is and what
check they are doing. I've seen them take several hours to do a CAT III
ILS. For a typical CAT I ILS they will check it once per year making about
3 approaches and an arc. Every other year they will do a more extensive
check. The equipment is also checked extensively on the ground at regular
intervals.

Old August 26th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Mike writes:

The number of passes they make depends on what type of ILS it is and what
check they are doing. I've seen them take several hours to do a CAT III
ILS. For a typical CAT I ILS they will check it once per year making about
3 approaches and an arc. Every other year they will do a more extensive
check. The equipment is also checked extensively on the ground at regular
intervals.

How do they fly the plane with sufficient precision to make the check valid?
Or do they use methods that are independent of the precision of the aircraft's
movements (if so, what are they?)?
Old August 26th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tauno Voipio

Mxsmanic wrote:
Mike writes:

The number of passes they make depends on what type of ILS it is and what
check they are doing. I've seen them take several hours to do a CAT III
ILS. For a typical CAT I ILS they will check it once per year making about
3 approaches and an arc. Every other year they will do a more extensive
check. The equipment is also checked extensively on the ground at regular
intervals.

How do they fly the plane with sufficient precision to make the check valid?
Or do they use methods that are independent of the precision of the aircraft's
movements (if so, what are they?)?

They're using differential GPS with a reference
station near the threshold, and usually also an
optical theodolite to track the approcahes.

--

Tauno Voipio (CPL(A), avionics engineer)
Old August 26th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Mike writes:

The number of passes they make depends on what type of ILS it is and what
check they are doing. I've seen them take several hours to do a CAT III
ILS. For a typical CAT I ILS they will check it once per year making
about
3 approaches and an arc. Every other year they will do a more extensive
check. The equipment is also checked extensively on the ground at
regular
intervals.

How do they fly the plane with sufficient precision to make the check
valid?
Or do they use methods that are independent of the precision of the
aircraft's
movements (if so, what are they?)?

There are a number of different checks that are done. Some are, and this
list is not exhaustive:
1. Installation checks.
2. Routine periodic maintenance checks.
3. Suspected problem (complaints) checks.

The Routine checks are done by simply flying a pre-defined profile and
looking for anything that is out of place. In the other cases, special
equipment is loaded and used in conjunction with regular avionics to monitor
and measure a very large list of parameters. When the data is collected and
analyzed an action plan is created and executed, and then the system is
retested to make sure the problem found is fixed. As you would imagine they
find all kinds of things like bad radios, antennae, new RF energy sources,
RF reflections not there before (new building or billboard put up), etc, and
in some cases, a problem is never found or could not be reproduced. So they
just log it and keep a watch on it.

--
Regards, BobF.

Old August 26th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Mike writes:

The number of passes they make depends on what type of ILS it is and
what check they are doing. I've seen them take several hours to do a
CAT III ILS. For a typical CAT I ILS they will check it once per
year making about 3 approaches and an arc. Every other year they
will do a more extensive check. The equipment is also checked
extensively on the ground at regular intervals.

How do they fly the plane with sufficient precision to make the check
valid? Or do they use methods that are independent of the precision of
the aircraft's movements (if so, what are they?)?

What's it to you? You don't fly.

Bertie

Saw something strange... (0/1) jc[_4_] Aviation Photos 0 January 31st 08 06:16 PM
strange houstondan Piloting 10 February 14th 06 05:02 PM
Seems a little strange- Capt.Doug Piloting 20 January 30th 05 02:30 AM
Strange one about the 296 kage Piloting 0 June 13th 04 01:42 AM
Strange one??? Big John Piloting 15 March 4th 04 12:25 AM