OT - Plasma TV question

Old February 26th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OT - Plasma TV question

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:59:57 GMT, Jose
wrote:

Looking at HD (1080), for the first time I can say as a filmmaker that a
TV transfer captures what I shot.

I haven't seen 'em or kept up with this stuff. Is it as big a leap as
the Rank flying-spot telecines of the early '80s over optical film
chains? What about latitude/dynamic range of transparency versus
video?

Don
Old February 26th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt Whiting writes:

I'm still using a 20 year old CRT as one on of my TVs.

Huh; mine turns 20 this year, some to think of it. And it's the first
and only TV I've ever owned in my life (I'm 51 now).
Old February 26th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
Huh; mine turns 20 this year, some to think of it. And it's the first
and only TV I've ever owned in my life (I'm 51 now).

I have a Toshiba IDTV that I bought about 15 years ago... Still has a great
picture... IDTV was the predecessor to HD and I was able to compare it
side-by-side with the other high end TVs at the audio-video store... It does
not use an interlaced picture and as such, the difference is very
noticeable... Not as good as HDTV, but good enough until it finally quits
working or the HDTV units come down in price a bit... I'm tired of paying
the prices to be on the bleeding edge of technology...

If I want to watch an HDTV broadcast, I watch it on my computer... I have an
ATI HDTV tuner card in it...

It sucks to move though since it weighs around 200 lbs and the weight is not
at a point that makes it easy for one person to easily carry... It's more
like pick it up and have someone else move the entertainment center
underneath it...

Old February 26th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I haven't seen 'em or kept up with this stuff. Is it as big a leap as
the Rank flying-spot telecines of the early '80s over optical film
chains? What about latitude/dynamic range of transparency versus
video?

I haven't compared the rank with a standard film chain (at least not an
"equivalent" one), but it is enough of a leap that I would never convert
film to (plain) video, but I would have no problem seeing my film on
1080HD. I mean wow.

Of course it's not the same as film by a long shot, but it's soooo much
further away from video it's not even funny!

Film still has much better dynamic range and better latitude. But for a
video transfer, 1080 is not bad at all.

Jose
Old February 26th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Flyingmonk" wrote)
Let me ask you a question Jay. Is the phrase "Yellow belly" a derogatory
term derived from when the US were fighting the Japanese?

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-2-25_TheHighTheMighty.wmv

No. It means yellow - scarred, yellow streak running down your back -
chicken. Coward. For whatever reason, sometimes the word "liver" or
"liver'd" was thrown into the mix, too. Maybe that was a chicken who was
also a coward? Also, "belly" is an added emphasis to "yellow" - as used in
the clip by The Duke.

Google will have "yellow/coward's" derivation. Civil War, maybe
Revolutionary War ...now (I'm) going to have to look it up. You got me
curious. g

(Oh, oh. Here I go...)
But if it were, so what? "Derogatory????"

The Japs earned every bit of scorn(?) that's been heaped on them. They were
as bad, or worse, than the Nazi's.

Montblack ...belly.
http://www.island.net/~blues/huddy.html
Leadbelly
[328k, 17seconds, .WAV]

Old February 26th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
I didn't even try to define it.

Sure you did. From your post: "...then you'll see my DEFINITION of decent"
(emphasis added, since you seem to be having trouble seeing it).

I suggested how you could know it when you see it.

Hmmm...so we're going with the ever-popular definition also used for
pornography. Glad to see the subject treated so rigorously.

If you are happy with a cheap projector on a cheap screen, then what is
your problem with me not being happy with it?

We're not talking about what makes you happy. We're talking about your
incredibly vague and non-useful definition of "decent", and your willingness
to use such a vague definition as a basis for your claim of the minimum
price point for a DLP projector.

My standards are simply higher than yours.

Again, how do you know? Answer: you don't. You have no idea what my
standards are, or how they relate to yours.

Not a problem for me, and I'm not sure why it bothers you so much.

What bothers me are your proclamations of certainty, without anything close
to a justification for making them.

Pete

Old February 26th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dang, dude, you've purchased two DOZEN big screen TVs/projectors?

Of those models. Another dozen much brighter ones. And I still have most
of them.

Okay, Moo, I give up. What are you DOING with so many giganto-humongous
TVs???
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 26th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Small LCD items have the crystal with reflected ambient light providing
visibility; on ones that will be viewed in the dark, there has to be
back-lighting.

The projection LCD displays have a backlight bulb, which shines through
the
semi-transparent crystal, giving the light to be reflected off of the
screen.

Thanks, Jim. I thought LCDs were lit from within each little
chip/pixel/whatever. I didn't realize there was a single light bulb
providing the light.

Appreciate the primer -- thanks again.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 27th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Let me ask you a question Jay. Is the phrase "Yellow belly" a
derogatory term derived from when the US were fighting the Japanese?

Like Montblack sez, "Yellow" meant "coward" in America long before the
Japanese bombed us.

Besides, I don't think anyone ever accused the Japs of being cowards.
Stupid, conniving *******s, perhaps -- but no one is going to argue that
they weren't stupid, conniving BRAVE *******s.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 27th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm guessing you'll wire the whole thing up with Monster Cable products
too. Have fun.

I was truly enjoying that exchange, until the very end. Then you went and
piqued my curiosity yet again.

What's wrong with "Monster Cable" products??
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM
Winching: Steel vs. Plasma Bob Johnson Soaring 10 August 12th 03 05:41 PM