PING: Aircraft Identification - 4 attachments

Old May 23rd 07, 11:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Blondie

Default PING: Aircraft Identification - 4 attachments

Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

Yello

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	122008.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	11717  Click image for larger version

Name:	122005.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	11718  Click image for larger version

Name:	122006.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	11719  Click image for larger version

Name:	122007.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	11720
Old May 24th 07, 12:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

Blondie wrote:
Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

Yello

Appears to be a beautifully done CGI creation.

But wow, wouldn't that be something to fly. I am thinking that with the
18 engines (I kind of lost count) the Flight Engineer(s) would be REAL busy.

Was there a caption or otherwise information with the pictures?

Cheers,

Dave

Old May 24th 07, 12:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
The Raven

Default Aircraft Identification - 4 attachments

"Blondie" wrote in message
news
Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

The B&W pic looks like it could be real but the rest appear to be scaled up
CGI representations (with extra engines).

Would make for an exciting R/C aircraft, assuming someone could afford all
those engines.

--
The Raven
http://www.80snostalgia.com/download...unds/wings.mp3

Old May 24th 07, 12:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

The Raven wrote:
"Blondie" wrote in message
news
Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

The B&W pic looks like it could be real but the rest appear to be scaled up
CGI representations (with extra engines).

Would make for an exciting R/C aircraft, assuming someone could afford all
those engines.

Yes indeed now that you mention it. The b&w photo looks like some
Italian creation from the late 1930's.

On an r/c would you be able to use those high torque electric motors? I
know zip about modern r/c building and other stuff. My sole experience
with any kind of model airplane was back around 1956. I think it had a
fox engine and made a hell of a lot of noise, and I flew it with these
nylon lines attached to a handle. I met it's demise one day when my
best buddy Roger Craft was flying it and it went into the back of his
dad's new car. Now that wasn't pretty ...

Cheers,

Dave

Old May 24th 07, 01:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Robert[_2_]

On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:38:13 GMT, Blondie wrote:

Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

Yello

It's a Kalinin K-7.
---
Robert
http://fire.prohosting.com/hud607/uncommon
Old May 24th 07, 01:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Meyer

Default PING: Aircraft Identification - 4 attachments - k-7-2.jpg (1/1)

In article ,
Blondie wrote:

Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

Yello

The photo shows the Kalinin K-7. It did fly fairly OK but was destroyed
in a crash: Lookee he
http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/k-7.html

The other images are kinda cool. A scaled-up fantasy version. Pretty
convincing. They'd be even more convincing if the concrete tarmac were
replaced by grass. Where do they come from?

--
One is always considered mad when one perfects something that others can
not grasp.*- Ed Wood

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k-7-2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	11722
Old May 24th 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Dohm

"CWO4 Dave Mann" wrote in message
. ..
The Raven wrote:
"Blondie" wrote in message
[...]

Oooof. That sounds like a crash leading up to a crash. :-(

Peter

Old May 24th 07, 02:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
The Raven

The Raven wrote:
"Blondie" wrote in message
news
Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually
existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

The B&W pic looks like it could be real but the rest appear to be scaled
up CGI representations (with extra engines).

Would make for an exciting R/C aircraft, assuming someone could afford
all those engines.

Yes indeed now that you mention it. The b&w photo looks like some Italian
creation from the late 1930's.

On an r/c would you be able to use those high torque electric motors?

The latest modern brushless outrunner electrics make as much power as glow
fueled engined.

In reality you'd probably only use a few motors/engines and dummy up the
rest, 18 is a tad too many.

The power out of some of the newer engines is phenomenal but a plane like
this would be best suited (as in sounds best) with a bunch of 4 stroke
motors.

I know zip about modern r/c building and other stuff. My sole experience
with any kind of model airplane was back around 1956. I think it had a
fox engine and made a hell of a lot of noise, and I flew it with these
nylon lines attached to a handle. I met it's demise one day when my best
buddy Roger Craft was flying it and it went into the back of his dad's new
car. Now that wasn't pretty ...

I could imagine.....perhaps I shouldn't.

Old May 24th 07, 03:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Gene S. Park

The aircraft appears to be Soviet and similar to

Designed by World War I aviator Konstantin Kalinin with a wingspan greater
than a B-52's and a much greater wing area, the K-7 was one of the biggest
aircraft built before the jet age. It was only one engine short of the B-52
as well, having the curious arrangement of six pulling on the wing leading
edge and one pushing at the rear.

The K-7's very brief first flight showed up instability and serious
vibration caused by the airframe resonating with the engine frequency. The
solution to this 'flutter' was thought to be to shorten and strengthen the
tail booms, little being known then about the natural frequencies of
structures and their response to vibration. On the 11th flight, during a
speed test, the port tailboom vibrated, fractured, jammed the elevator and
caused the giant aircraft to plough into the ground, killing 15.

Undaunted by this disaster, Kalinin's team began construction of two further
K-7s in a new factory, but the vicissitudes of Stalin's Russia saw the
project abandoned, and in 1938 the arrest and execution of Kalinin on
trumped up espionage and sabotage charges.

Seems they knew how to deal with their FEMA types.

"Blondie" wrote in message
news
Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

Yello

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kalinin_k-7.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	11723
Old May 24th 07, 03:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Gene S. Park

Here is the photo of the Kalinin

Gene

"Blondie" wrote in message
news
Hello All,

Downloaded these pics and was wondering if this aircraft actually existed.
By the looks of its' mammoth size I think it is actually a very detailed
drawing. It looks like it has a wingspan wider than the Spruce Goose!
If this were an actual aircraft that had been constructed I am sure it
would have been in many TV documentaries.

Yello

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kalinin_k-7.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	11724

Old Warbird For Sale - 2 attachments Clem Aviation Photos 4 December 27th 06 02:21 AM
DOUGLAS F3D SKYNIGHT HELP - 2 attachments (1/2) Jim John Aviation Photos 5 November 14th 06 01:41 AM
Ping Sport Pilot Barbra Olson Story Debunked! Proof Cellphones Work in Aircraft. Sport Pilot Piloting 0 January 21st 05 07:05 PM