reccomendations in Phoenix?

Old November 6th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
driftingtrack

Default reccomendations in Phoenix?

Hello. i just passed my PP ASEL checkride Saturday and find myself on a
business trip to beautiful Phoenix. Would anyone care to reccomend a
friendly flight school with a(some) decent/nice 172(s) where i might take
either a checkout and some solo time or a dual sight-seeing flight?
Old November 6th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

driftingtrack wrote:
Hello. i just passed my PP ASEL checkride Saturday and find myself on a
business trip to beautiful Phoenix. Would anyone care to reccomend a
friendly flight school with a(some) decent/nice 172(s) where i might take
either a checkout and some solo time or a dual sight-seeing flight?

Which side of town? On the west side, Glendale. On the east side,
drive down to Chandler (CHD) or FFZ. North side is Deer Valley (DVT).
Warning about DVT - lots, and I mean *LOTS* of training.

Check out avweb.com and make sure you call in advance to set up
a time and CFI no matter where you decide to go.

Old November 6th 06, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
driftingtrack

Blanche wrote in
:

Which side of town? On the west side, Glendale. On the east side,
drive down to Chandler (CHD) or FFZ. North side is Deer Valley (DVT).
Warning about DVT - lots, and I mean *LOTS* of training.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. i'm not sure exactly where we'll be
and it's only the one time so i don't mind driving a bit. Sounds like
DVT will be a little too busy. i'll check the others out. Which of them
would be your favorite?

Check out avweb.com and make sure you call in advance to set up
a time and CFI no matter where you decide to go.

Avweb: Good idea. Thanks. Wilco.

Call in advance: Obviously. Unfortunately, i'm not sure yet if/when i'll
be able to go. It all depends on the work schedule while we are out
there. I've been to Phoenix several times and have always liked it (but
that might be because i've never been during the summer ) so if this
doesn't work out, i'm sure i will get back soon.

Old November 6th 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Driftingtrack,

On the Scottsdale side, I'd recommend http://www.arizonaflightworks.com/

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 6th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Timmay

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Driftingtrack,

Would anyone care to reccomend a
friendly flight school with a(some) decent/nice 172(s) where i might take
either a checkout and some solo time or a dual sight-seeing flight?

On the Scottsdale side, I'd recommend http://www.arizonaflightworks.com/

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Come on up to PRC, it's a half-hour flight to Sedona, an hour up to the
Grand Canyon, a 1:15 drive up from the valley. There are two FBO's here
that rent aircraft. Can't go wrong!

Old November 7th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_2_]

Blanche wrote:

driftingtrack wrote:
Hello. i just passed my PP ASEL checkride Saturday and find myself on
a business trip to beautiful Phoenix. Would anyone care to reccomend
a friendly flight school with a(some) decent/nice 172(s) where i might
take either a checkout and some solo time or a dual sight-seeing
flight?

Which side of town? On the west side, Glendale. On the east side,
drive down to Chandler (CHD) or FFZ. North side is Deer Valley (DVT).
Warning about DVT - lots, and I mean *LOTS* of training.

Yes, these are all good suggestions. I fly out of DVT and it does get busy occasionally, but all these
airports are very GA-friendly, and are all towered, so if you're comfortable with the communications, it's
no big deal. Our weather has been beautiful, so you're coming at the right time of the year. The valley is
very spread out and lots of road traffic, so I would second Blanche's recommendation to just go with
whichever airport is convenient. Otherwise you're spending all your time getting to the airport!

Have a good visit!

Mike
Old November 11th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
driftingtrack

Come on up to PRC, it's a half-hour flight to Sedona, an hour up to
the Grand Canyon, a 1:15 drive up from the valley. There are two FBO's
here that rent aircraft. Can't go wrong!

THANK YOU all for some great reccomendations. We chose to take the drive
up to Prescott (PRC) and had a GREAT flight. I called the fbo number
listed on airnav and they gave us numbers for 2 of the 3 flight schools
there (1 is an Embry Riddle location.) Called North Aire and got a very
friendly response to all my questions from James. Because of the length
of the checkride, we decided to just take a dual flight up to the grand
canyon. Ash, our flight instructor couldn't have been nicer. After some
discussion of the differences in density altitude and their nice new
fuel-injected 180HP 172 from our 500ft elevation and 150HP carbeurated
airplane at home, we took off. I have read and can recite all of the
relevant information about a high and hot airport, but when we added full
power for a short field style T/O, i was shocked at just HOW DRAMATIC the
difference was. I considered for a brief second aborting the T/O after i
released the brakes because of how little acceleration we had. Of course
this was just newbie/lowlander paranoia and everything went off just
fine. Then we flew up to the grand canyon for a literally breathtaking
view. I had never seen it and i am thankful for the ability to see it
from the air.

THANK YOU James and especially Ash for a great experiance, some amazing
views, and some good lesons in the real world effects of density
altitude. Ash even threw in a discussion of an ILS approach just for the
fun of it. I guess i'll have to take another commercial flight out there
when i don't have so much work to do and try to take advantage of some of
the other suggestions here.

peace
DT

Phoenix Area non-profit Flying Club! [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 June 25th 06 06:22 AM
Phoenix Area Flying Clubs.. Dan Piloting 7 April 5th 06 11:17 PM
Phoenix based pilots Jeff Piloting 8 May 12th 04 02:16 AM
AIM-54 Phoenix missile Sujay Vijayendra Military Aviation 89 November 3rd 03 09:47 PM
How did the Iranians get the Phoenix to work? Ragnar Military Aviation 22 October 2nd 03 02:49 AM