Convert Cherokee 140 to 180?

Old January 8th 05, 09:43 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Tim Long" wrote in message
Our 140 is coming up on 1600 hrs TBO.
I know that some may say sell the plane and buy a 180, but we have a plane
whose condition we know

In a plane like a Cherokee the engine is the number one point of concern- by
the time you've overhauled or done an engine swap you no longer have "a
plane whose condition you know" in one very significant sense. You may,
however, have a warranty, for a few years anyway.

avionics than most and would hate to do the new buy thing and then spend a
lot extra getting the plane's condition up to that of our current one.

Easily avoided: there are guys like you out there selling above-average
PA-28-180s etc. trading up to even bigger faster planes. The higher up the
totem pole you go the more likely you'll find one with the goodies you want.

-cwk.

Old January 9th 05, 08:06 AM
Roger

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:43:01 GMT, "Colin W Kingsbury"
wrote:

"Tim Long" wrote in message
Our 140 is coming up on 1600 hrs TBO.
I know that some may say sell the plane and buy a 180, but we have a plane
whose condition we know

In a plane like a Cherokee the engine is the number one point of concern- by
the time you've overhauled or done an engine swap you no longer have "a
plane whose condition you know" in one very significant sense. You may,
however, have a warranty, for a few years anyway.

As I recall changing the engine to a 180 HP does not make the 140 a
180 as I believe the fuselage on the 140 is shorter.

avionics than most and would hate to do the new buy thing and then spend a
lot extra getting the plane's condition up to that of our current one.

Spend a lot. That way the next guy saves a lot. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 9th 05, 05:13 PM

Roger wrote:
: As I recall changing the engine to a 180 HP does not make the 140 a
: 180 as I believe the fuselage on the 140 is shorter.

That's partially true. The 140/180 in general doesn't get you the updated
cowling or the third window (so it's like an older -180). It also doesn't give you a
baggage compartment or real back seats. We got a field approval to put a baggage
floor behind the rear seats in ours, but haven't actually done the modification yet.
The rear seats are the horribly uncomfortable plywood slab jumpseats. A buddy of mine
has a '65 -150 (same as a 'C' model 180 but with an 0-320) with a baggage floor and
bench seat in the rear. The PA28 airframe didn't get any longer until about '73 when
the 180 was briefly called a "Challenger." IIRC. There are lots of -180s without the
stretched fuselage. Fortunately I never ride back there, so I don't care...

The other thing it doesn't do is give you legally much more weight increase.
Our -140 was 2150 gross. With the 180, it's 2200 T.O., 2150 landing. Oh, and for
speed comparisons, I plan for 115 kts TAS and pretty much get it in still air at
reasonable altitudes and loading. At 6000' DA, 65% power, I'll get 130-135 mph TAS
depending on weight and CG. Loading doesn't seem to affect climb rate much at
all until you get over a certain point where it kill it. From my 2100 MSL airport,
it'll do between 800-600 fpm no matter if it's just me or am full with three people
and full fuel on board. Much more than that, and it's a pucker.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old January 11th 05, 04:42 PM
xyzzy

Aaron Coolidge wrote:

xyzzy wrote:
: Aaron Coolidge wrote:

: I'd be happy to arrange a demonstration if anyone's in the area.

: Where's "the area"?

Southeastern Massachusetts.

drat