A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Where are you Butterfly vario?

Old June 5th 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Where are you Butterfly vario?

So what is the latest on the availability of the Butterfly vario? Wonder if it will "fly" in any Uvalde WGC sailplanes?

Also, will it deliver full featured or will the featurs dribble in over time?

Sure would like to see something on YouTube including a sampling of the audio. How about it Butterfly Avionics?

Old June 5th 12, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Jun 5, 7:50*am, wrote:
So what is the latest on the availability of the Butterfly vario? Wonder if it will "fly" in any Uvalde WGC sailplanes?

Sure would like to see something on YouTube including a sampling of the audio. How about it Butterfly Avionics?

I was told today that I will have my order of Butterfly Varios shipped
at the end of next week.

http://www.craggyaero.com/butterfly.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old June 5th 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Jun 5, 8:50*am, wrote:

I have one of the early positions for receiving a Butterfly vario
(from Craggy) and plan on doing a full youtube video review on it. As
a side note, I took delivery of a V7 vario at this year's SSA
convention and have completely loved it! The V7 is beautiful, has a
fast and accurate response to lift, amazingly configurable, beautiful,
has tons of info available in such a compact package, and did I
mention enough that it is the most beautiful vario currently on the
market? It will be fun to have both varios in the cockpit to
compare and contrast. Hopefully I will have some inflight video
reviews within the next month...if the Butterfly really ends up
shipping...I thought I was going to be getting mine in April...

Bruno - B4
Old June 5th 12, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:52:32 PM UTC-4, Bruno wrote:

I took delivery of a V7 vario at this year's SSA
convention and have completely loved it! The V7 is beautiful, has a
market?

I can only second that. I've only done a few flights with my new V7, but so far, it seems great. The backup navigation function and the FLARM display are nice to have.

In addition to the above, it is an ideal hub to take in GPS data from a PowerFlarm or a logger and to distribute it to a PDA. It delivers airspeed, altitude and compensated vertical speed to my PDA running XCSoar and syncs the MC setting. For those flying with an upgradable, reliable and cost-effective PDA, the V7 seems like an ideal instrument that avoids feature duplication.

Old June 5th 12, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Dec 2010

And I will second your second. Installed my V7 in the off season and have about 5 flights on it so I'm still learning, but I really like it. I really like the way it was fairly easy to install and the data sharing between my Nano, the V7 and my Oudie has worked great. Had a little problem with a recent firmware update until I figured out I had to go into one of the submenus of the Oudie (hardware) and "tell" the Oudie to look at the V7... Once I'd done that, the update was a snap.

Question for my fellow V7 users..I'm interested in how you've set up the speed/vario displays...what info are you having it show you in the various modes, especially speed mode...arrival altitude? Also, I have left the default sound profile as the setup, but am not too keen on it. Anyone changed this to one they like better?

If I had a wish list, it would be that I wish I could "temporarily" access some of the other wealth of data buried inside the vario...battery voltage, for example. I would not want to take up a display spot on the vario permanently showing that value, but it would be nice to have a user-selectable "sub-menu" of say...4 or 5 items that pushing a button the pilot could easily and rapidly cycle thru to check it as I fly. Now, it's a long period of heads-down cycling thru menus to pull that out of the V7...not the safest thing to do inflight. But if I could rapidly do it, that would be neat to have...but not a "need" by any measure...definitely a "want"!

Good product, good company, happy camper!
Old June 5th 12, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:24:19 PM UTC-5, RAS56 wrote:
And I will second your second. Installed my V7 in the off season and have about 5 flights on it so I'm still learning, but I really like it. I really like the way it was fairly easy to install and the data sharing between my Nano, the V7 and my Oudie has worked great. Had a little problem with a recent firmware update until I figured out I had to go into one of the submenus of the Oudie (hardware) and "tell" the Oudie to look at the V7... Once I'd done that, the update was a snap.

Question for my fellow V7 users..I'm interested in how you've set up the speed/vario displays...what info are you having it show you in the various modes, especially speed mode...arrival altitude? Also, I have left the default sound profile as the setup, but am not too keen on it. Anyone changed this to one they like better?

If I had a wish list, it would be that I wish I could "temporarily" access some of the other wealth of data buried inside the vario...battery voltage, for example. I would not want to take up a display spot on the vario permanently showing that value, but it would be nice to have a user-selectable "sub-menu" of say...4 or 5 items that pushing a button the pilot could easily and rapidly cycle thru to check it as I fly. Now, it's a long period of heads-down cycling thru menus to pull that out of the V7...not the safest thing to do inflight. But if I could rapidly do it, that would be neat to have...but not a "need" by any measure...definitely a "want"!

Good product, good company, happy camper!

you guys are killing me with your positive reviews of the V7!!! I already wanted one bad enough...
Old June 5th 12, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:24:19 PM UTC-4, RAS56 wrote:

If I had a wish list, it would be that I wish I could "temporarily" access some of the other
wealth of data buried inside the vario...battery voltage, for example. I would not want to take up a display spot on the vario permanently showing that value, but it would be nice to have a user-selectable "sub-menu" of say....4 or 5 items that pushing a button the pilot could easily and rapidly cycle thru to check it as I fly.

That's exactly what I'd like to have, too. You can't make use of the data when it isn't readily available. Generally, I can set up my PDA to show me the vario data, but if I'd like to use the vario as standby navigation instrument (e.g., "find my way home" function), I'd need to be able to switch to this without having to go into some configuration menu.

When the "SC" button is set up as a momentary switch, it could reasonably cycle through modes. Or one could activate the info screen by holding the SC switch for a little longer.

This sort of thing could be easily done via a software update, so here's hoping.
Old June 5th 12, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:50:04 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

Help...my thread is being hijacked! Can any of our euro friends comment on the Butterfly vario?

Old June 5th 12, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Dec 2010

On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:39:56 AM UTC+9, David Reitter wrote:
On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:24:19 PM UTC-4, RAS56 wrote:

If I had a wish list, it would be that I wish I could "temporarily" access some of the other
wealth of data buried inside the vario...battery voltage, for example. I would not want to take up a display spot on the vario permanently showing that value, but it would be nice to have a user-selectable "sub-menu" of say...4 or 5 items that pushing a button the pilot could easily and rapidly cycle thru to check it as I fly.

That's exactly what I'd like to have, too. You can't make use of the data when it isn't readily available. Generally, I can set up my PDA to show me the vario data, but if I'd like to use the vario as standby navigation instrument (e.g., "find my way home" function), I'd need to be able to switch to this without having to go into some configuration menu.

David,

Go he

http://www.lxnav.com/contact.html

And chime in. I just did...and as responsive, tuned in to the market and savvy as these folks have been with their products, I'm expecting good things to happen! Will let all know if I hear something back.

TONY- to quote a tired slogan.." Just Do It!" You won't regret it! Mongo likes V7!!

Old June 6th 12, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Jun 5, 9:52*am, Bruno wrote:
On Jun 5, 8:50*am, wrote:

I have one of the early positions for receiving a Butterfly vario
(from Craggy) and plan on doing a full youtube video review on it. *As
a side note, I took delivery of a V7 vario at this year's SSA
convention and have completely loved it! *The V7 is beautiful, has a
market? * *It will be fun to have both varios in the cockpit to
compare and contrast. *Hopefully I will have some inflight video
reviews within the next month...if the Butterfly really ends up
shipping...I thought I was going to be getting mine in April...

Bruno - B4

The LXNAV V7 vario is really popular. It can be configured to work
with a variety of GPS and Displays. One of the interesting things is
the Baud rates are recommended to be set as high as possible. I am
currently running a Portable PowerFlarm to V7 to Craggy Aero Ultimate
Le. Bruno is running a NANO to V7 to Craggy Aero Ultimate Le.

http://www.craggyaero.com/lx_nav.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com