Narrow Runways

Old May 11th 05, 11:09 PM
Matt Whiting

Markus Voget wrote:

"nrp" wrote:

There was a writeup a few weeks ago on the retired South African
Airways 747 that was flown to its museum airfield & landed on a 50'
wide asphalt strip, down and stopped in 2300 ft. There was about 3 ft
edge distance for the 747 gear. It was an incredible piece of
airmanship.

Indeed!
http://www.skypark.org/747Landing.htm

Too cool!

Matt
Old May 11th 05, 11:16 PM
Matt Whiting

On 2005-05-11, Kyle Boatright wrote:

What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are you
comfortable?

The narrowest was at Woodland State (W27) which is 1965x25, in a 172
when I had about 14 hours.

I must be comfortable with 2500x48 since that's where my plane is based.
It still freaks me out to land at night (the lights are significantly
wider, maybe 80-100' apart). It makes the runway look short and stubby.
I don't think I've ever used more than the center 20' of the runway
except once when a brake grabbed a little and I swerved. Closest I've
come to groundlooping a tricycle gear plane!

I don't remember which field was narrowest, but I believe it was near
Pittsburgh, PA. I'll have to check my log book. I DO remember the
shortest I landed at. It is K9B1. It is less than 1700' with
obstructions at both ends. Landing the Skylane was no problem,
requiring only about 1000' with light braking. However, the sight
picture when I turned final was unnerving. The book said I had plenty
of space so I trusted the numbers.

I learned to fly at a 1900' strip, but that had trees at only one end.
Taking off from Marlboro was very interesting. It was a hot summer day
(about 90 as I recall), but I was loaded fairly light, just me, one pax
and about 4 hours of fuel. I don't recall the exact details now, but I
think the book said I needed about 1500' to clear a 50' obstacle. I
pulled onto the runway with my tail feathers almost touching the chain
link fence at one end, ran up to nearly full RPM and then released the
brakes. We cleared the trees by 30-40'.

Matt
Old May 11th 05, 11:51 PM
Charles O'Rourke

Matt Whiting wrote:
I don't remember which field was narrowest, but I believe it was near
Pittsburgh, PA. I'll have to check my log book. I DO remember the
shortest I landed at. It is K9B1. It is less than 1700' with
obstructions at both ends. Landing the Skylane was no problem,
requiring only about 1000' with light braking. However, the sight
picture when I turned final was unnerving. The book said I had plenty
of space so I trusted the numbers.

The pilot I bought my plane from learned at Marlboro (9B1), and he
demonstrated the STOL characteristics of my plane by landing and taking
off at 9B1. What a blast! Coming in down over those trees on short
final is a thrill.

Charles.
-N8385U
Old May 12th 05, 12:29 AM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:38:50 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are you
comfortable? Among other things, I had an interesting experience yesterday
with a runway that was far narrower than any I'd used before...

http://www.airnav.com/airport/7D5

Trees at one end, power lines and railroad tracks at the other.

Been in and out of this one in a little bit of everything. Scariest
one for me was a Malibu Mirage. Easiest was an A-1 Husky (departed off
of what passes for a ramp pointing toward the runway)

Don't remember what the main gear "track" width is on the Malibu, but
there wasn't a lot of room to spare...

What's really, really scary is the guy that useta own it based a P-51
and later a BD-10 there.

TC
Old May 12th 05, 12:41 AM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:29:40 GMT, wrote:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/7D5

Trees at one end, power lines and railroad tracks at the other.

Been in and out of this one in a little bit of everything. Scariest
one for me was a Malibu Mirage. Easiest was an A-1 Husky (departed off
of what passes for a ramp pointing toward the runway)

Forgot to mention that quite a few trips to 7D5 were as a student
pilot...

TC
Old May 12th 05, 12:54 AM

20' wide, Kezer airport near Ft. Worth TX in a Piper Warrior

picture on AirNav's site: http://www.airnav.com/airport/61TE

On approach, it was as though I was landing on an R/C park's airstrip
:-)

I had a fair crosswind too, but kept the wheels on the pavement.

Old May 12th 05, 01:02 AM
Bushleague

6B6 in a Beech 18. Quite actually the taxiway is worse due to wing tip
clearance to the parked aircraft.

Bush

wrote:

What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are you
comfortable? Among other things, I had an interesting experience yesterday
with a runway that was far narrower than any I'd used before...

We had gone to Dallas for Mother's day, and returned to Atlanta yesterday in
my RV-6, which is set-up for basic VFR. The weather was marginal for most
of the way, and we made two unscheduled stops and a couple of 180 degree
course reversals to avoid weather that was below my minimums. This turned a
3.5 hour trip into an 8 hour odyssey.

Our first 180 turn and unscheduled stop occurred when the ceiling was lower
than forecast, below my personal minimums, and dropping along our route of
flight. I hit the "nearest" function on the GPS, and retreated to the
nearest airfield to give the FSS a call on the cell phone (we were too low
for radio communication). As we overflew the airfield, I noticed that all
it was was a paved strip and a paved ramp. No buildings nearby. Also, the
strip looked fairly narrow, but I went ahead with the landing anyway.

On very short final, it became obvious that this strip redefined narrow.
Accoring to the AFD, it is 50' wide, but what the AFD didn't say is that 3'
tall sagebrush grows right to the edge of the strip, and occasionally cuts
into the 50' useful width. Given that 3' sagebrush will hit the RV-6's
wingtips, I probably had 10'-12' clear on each side. Catching the sagebrush
with a wingtip would have almost certainly caused a groundloop.

With this in mind, and concentrating hard enough to cause permanant forehead
wrinkles, I managed to keep the airplane centered on landing and rollout,
then taxiied (sp?) to the ramp, where I shut down, pulled out the cell phone
and got exactly zero signal... (Sometimes you can't win.)

So, we fired up again, taxiied out, and I kept the bird out of the weeds on
takeoff and off we went. In the 30 minutes our detour consumed, the weather
along the route improved meaningfully, and we made another 225 miles before
the next unplanned stop.

After a 3 hour wait and a couple of visits with the on-field FSS at
Greenville, MS, we found a safe path around the line of storms on the
Alabama/Mississippi border and came on home. One of the real advantages to
a relatively high performance airplane is that if the weather allows, you
can get above most of the cumulus and eyeball your way around the convective
stuff. I'm not sure we would have gotten around yesterday's weather in a
C-172 or Cherokee...

Old May 12th 05, 02:11 AM
BTIZ

I remember that narrow runway at Tew-Mac... but when my CFI took me there he
said it was 21ft...

There is also a runway in NW Abilene TX.. that must have been about 30ft
wide..

BT

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are
you
comfortable?

IIRC Tew-Mac in MA was 26' wide, and it was fine.

My CFII was tired of me landing left of centerline at KBED (150' wide)
so he took me to Tew-Mac. He proved to me that I can land on the
centerline and I proved to him that I can land on the centerline when I
want to. :-)

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old May 12th 05, 02:25 AM
Montblack

("Markus Voget" wrote)
[ nrp wrote]
There was a writeup a few weeks ago on the retired South African
Airways 747 that was flown to its museum airfield & landed on a 50'
wide asphalt strip, down and stopped in 2300 ft. There was about 3 ft
edge distance for the 747 gear. It was an incredible piece of
airmanship.

Indeed!
http://www.skypark.org/747Landing.htm

(Favorite part of the story)
"We joined right-hand downwind for 11 and got the gear and flap 30, landing
flap out early."

Joined? Joined who way out there, the C-5 Galaxy landing in front of them?

Anyone know what size the "pattern" would be for a 747?

2 miles abeam the numbers? 1.5 miles? 3 miles? 4 miles?

Montblack

Old May 12th 05, 02:45 AM
George Patterson

Kyle Boatright wrote:
What's the narrowest runway you've ever used?

I've flown into a number of grass strips. No runway at all.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

Narrow Foil Strips for Ground Plane Dennis Mountains Home Built 22 August 29th 04 01:09 AM
Winds on long runways Casey Wilson Piloting 15 July 17th 04 08:35 AM
Cylinder Wrenches for 0-320A Narrow Deck DAVE Home Built 1 December 31st 03 02:45 PM
Extreme Runways JohnMcGrew Piloting 9 October 25th 03 02:57 PM
fs2002 - increase intensity taxiway and runways' lights? Mark Cherry Simulators 0 September 23rd 03 01:08 AM