Legality of owning ex-military intercontinental aircraft.

Old August 23rd 03, 04:24 AM
Bill Silvey

Default Legality of owning ex-military intercontinental aircraft.

Hiya group.

I can't recall if I've asked this before, but does anyone know what the
legal status of a privately purchased airframe like, say, a B47 or B36 (or,
heaven forbid, a B52 or Tu-95) would be presuming the owner could refurbish
the aircraft to operational capability?

I think at least the FAA if not the USAF and more than a few other parties
would kinda have a few reservations about someone owning an operational bird
like that.

--
http://www.delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org
Remove the X's in my email address to respond.

Old August 23rd 03, 05:23 AM
make

Bill Silvey wrote:
Hiya group.

I can't recall if I've asked this before, but does anyone know what the
legal status of a privately purchased airframe like, say, a B47 or B36 (or,
heaven forbid, a B52 or Tu-95) would be presuming the owner could refurbish
the aircraft to operational capability?

What about an ICBM or SSBN+SLBMs?

Old August 23rd 03, 05:24 AM
Bill Silvey

"make" wrote in message

Bill Silvey wrote:
Hiya group.

I can't recall if I've asked this before, but does anyone know what
the legal status of a privately purchased airframe like, say, a B47
or B36 (or, heaven forbid, a B52 or Tu-95) would be presuming the
owner could refurbish the aircraft to operational capability?

What about an ICBM or SSBN+SLBMs?

The community of Narcoosee, just south of Orlando, has intercontinental
striking capability.

(The VFW has a Pershing-I sitting in it's parking lot.)

Old August 23rd 03, 05:33 AM
Dave Kearton

"Bill Silvey" wrote in message
om...
| "make" wrote in message
|
| Bill Silvey wrote:
| Hiya group.
|
| I can't recall if I've asked this before, but does anyone know what
| the legal status of a privately purchased airframe like, say, a B47
| or B36 (or, heaven forbid, a B52 or Tu-95) would be presuming the
| owner could refurbish the aircraft to operational capability?
|

| What about an ICBM or SSBN+SLBMs?
|
| The community of Narcoosee, just south of Orlando, has intercontinental
| striking capability.
|
| (The VFW has a Pershing-I sitting in it's parking lot.)

This could mean trouble if the peace talks with Osceola County break down

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old August 23rd 03, 09:28 AM
David Bromage

Bill Silvey wrote:
I can't recall if I've asked this before, but does anyone know what the
legal status of a privately purchased airframe like, say, a B47 or

B36 (or,
heaven forbid, a B52 or Tu-95) would be presuming the owner could

refurbish
the aircraft to operational capability?

It would have to be demilled sufficiently so it would not be a military
threat, but otherwise it wouldn't be much different to owning any other
warbird. Just more expensive.

At the moment I think the biggest jet warbirds are the handful of
privately owned Canberras. There is an Avro Vulcan being restored at
London Southend.

Cheers
David

Old August 23rd 03, 09:33 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Bill Silvey" wrote in message
om...
Hiya group.

I can't recall if I've asked this before, but does anyone know what the
legal status of a privately purchased airframe like, say, a B47 or B36

(or,
heaven forbid, a B52 or Tu-95) would be presuming the owner could

refurbish
the aircraft to operational capability?

I think at least the FAA if not the USAF and more than a few other parties
would kinda have a few reservations about someone owning an operational

bird
like that.

There's a group attempting to do that with an Avro Vulcan.

Keith

Old August 23rd 03, 11:01 AM
Nick Pedley

"David Bromage" wrote in message
Bill Silvey wrote:
I can't recall if I've asked this before, but does anyone know what the
legal status of a privately purchased airframe like, say, a B47 or

B36 (or,
heaven forbid, a B52 or Tu-95) would be presuming the owner could

refurbish
the aircraft to operational capability?

It would have to be demilled sufficiently so it would not be a military
threat, but otherwise it wouldn't be much different to owning any other
warbird. Just more expensive.

At the moment I think the biggest jet warbirds are the handful of
privately owned Canberras. There is an Avro Vulcan being restored at
London Southend.

Are you confusing the Southend Vulcan XL426 http://www.avrovulcan.com/ which
is being kept to high-speed taxi condition and the ex-RAF display Vulcan
XH558 www.tvoc.co.uk which they are trying to get flying again at
Bruntingthorpe?

Nick

Old August 23rd 03, 11:17 AM
Cub Driver

I can't recall if I've asked this before, but does anyone know what the
legal status of a privately purchased airframe like, say, a B47 or B36 (or,
heaven forbid, a B52 or Tu-95) would be presuming the owner could refurbish
the aircraft to operational capability?

It would depend on the status of the various disarmament treaties. The
lads at Fort Worth were restoring a B-36 some time ago (they may still
be at it) and had originally hoped to make it airworthy. The only way
they could have done this, under the treaties then existing, was if
the U.S. military had retired one of its nuclear delivery systems (not
a system: a platform: an airplane, missile, or sub).

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old August 23rd 03, 12:51 PM
BUFDRVR

It would have to be demilled sufficiently so it would not be a military
threat, but otherwise it wouldn't be much different to owning any other
warbird. Just more expensive.

With the exception of B-52s. Even B-52 display aircraft are accounted for in
START II and a limit set at a specific number. Additionally, *all* B-52 display
aircraft are owned by the Air Force Museum. You may pay for refurbishment, you
may pay to keep it looking good, but tommorow the Air Force Museum can come and
take it back.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old August 23rd 03, 02:38 PM
mah

Bill Silvey wrote:

The community of Narcoosee, just south of Orlando, has intercontinental
striking capability.

(The VFW has a Pershing-I sitting in it's parking lot.)

--

Now, when the next Florida recount comes, which faction will they
support?

MAH