naval avaitor #1

Old March 5th 04, 05:45 AM
DAVE GEE

Default naval avaitor #1

Hi group:

Can anyone here point me to a page that will tell me who
Naval Aviator #1 is? I found #5 but after a day of looking
cannot find before that.
from what I can glean every aviator is given a number
when they are put in service, someone must be the first.
also what is it up to now?

TIA
Dave G.

Old March 5th 04, 06:51 AM
Krztalizer

Can anyone here point me to a page that will tell me who
Naval Aviator #1 is?

Wouldn't that be Eugene Ely? Since he was the first to actually fly off a
ship, and be in the Navy, ...? Just a guess of course.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old March 5th 04, 07:31 AM
Dave in San Diego

"DAVE GEE" wrote in news:104g5034eb2o686
@corp.supernews.com:

Hi group:

Can anyone here point me to a page that will tell me who
Naval Aviator #1 is? I found #5 but after a day of looking
cannot find before that.
from what I can glean every aviator is given a number
when they are put in service, someone must be the first.
also what is it up to now?

Right here!

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP01.PDF

The first 15 (read in four columns):
Naval Navy Air
Aviator Pilot
Number Name Service Number
1 Ellyson, Theodore G. USN 1
2 Rodgers, John USN
3 Towers, John H. USN 2
4 Herbster, Victor D. USN 5
5 Cunningham, Alfred A. USMC 14
6 Smith, Bernard L. USMC 6
7 Chevalier, Godfrey deC USN 7
8 Bellinger, Patrick N. L. USN 4
9 Billingsley, William D. USN
10 Murray, James M. USN
11 Mustin, Henry C. USN 3
12 McIlvain, William M. USMC 9
13 Richardson, Holden C. USN 12
14 Saufley, Richard C. USN 8
15 Bronson, Clarence K. USN 10

--
-
"For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes
Old March 5th 04, 02:19 PM
Frank Minich

from what I can glean every aviator is given a number
when they are put in service, someone must be the first.
also what is it up to now?

The USN stopped issuing "Naval Aviator Numbers" sometime before I got my
wings in 74.

****er,
Frank

Old March 5th 04, 02:39 PM
vincent p. norris

from what I can glean every aviator is given a number
when they are put in service, someone must be the first.
also what is it up to now?

The USN stopped issuing "Naval Aviator Numbers" sometime before I got my
wings in 74.

I got my wings early in 1951. My number, preceded by a V, is about
1500 (not sure it's a good idea to publish the exact number).

But there MUST have been more than 1500 naval aviators prior to 1951.

Can anyone explain?

vince norris
Old March 5th 04, 10:25 PM
DAVE GEE

Thanks all for the great information!
This is a very interesting group.

Dave G.

Old March 6th 04, 12:51 PM
Robert Moore

vincent p. norris wrote

I got my wings early in 1951. My number, preceded by a V, is about
1500 (not sure it's a good idea to publish the exact number).

Hmmmm....strange, I never questioned my Sept 25, 1959 number
of 15753.

Bob Moore
Old March 7th 04, 02:39 AM
Dave in San Diego

Robert Moore wrote in
. 7:

vincent p. norris wrote

I got my wings early in 1951. My number, preceded by a V, is about
1500 (not sure it's a good idea to publish the exact number).

Hmmmm....strange, I never questioned my Sept 25, 1959 number
of 15753.

Bob Moore

Here's a link from my previous post for an explanation of how the system
worked back then. They changed how they issued numbers a couple of times.

Dave in San Diego
AT1 USN Ret.

--
-
Old March 7th 04, 12:17 PM
vincent p. norris

I got my wings early in 1951. My number, preceded by a V, is about
1500 (not sure it's a good idea to publish the exact number).

Hmmmm....strange, I never questioned my Sept 25, 1959 number
of 15753.

Bob Moore

Doesn't it seem odd, Bob, that the numbers went from 1 to 1500 in
almost half a century, which included WW II, and then from 1500 to
15,000 in less than a decade?

vince norris
Old March 7th 04, 01:19 PM
Robert Moore

Dave in San Diego wrote
Here's a link from my previous post for an explanation of how the system
worked back then. They changed how they issued numbers a couple of times.

Hmmm...must be going blind, can't see the link. :-)

Bob Moore