AN hardware CAD files

Old September 8th 04, 04:17 AM
Leon McAtee

Default AN hardware CAD files

Is there an online source of downloadable CAD files for common AN
hardware? I don't see any reason to redraw what I'm sure has been
done many times.
=========================
Leon McAtee
Old September 8th 04, 10:04 AM
smjmitchell

There are some commercial libraries but you have to buy them.

For many other types of hardware you can download the files from the
hardware manufacturers web sites (usually for free) but not for any AN
hardware that I am aware of.

Dan is right though ... it is no big deal to draw them (I have done this for
some hardware). They don't have to be perfect so long as the overal
dimensions are correct. If you are going to do this you first need to get
the AN / MS data sheets which have all the required dimensions. You can get
these from the STINET site. http://stinet.dtic.mil/str/index.html

From: (Leon McAtee)
Date: 9/7/2004 10:17 PM Central Daylight Time
Is there an online source of downloadable CAD files for common AN
hardware? I don't see any reason to redraw what I'm sure has been
done many times.
=========================
Leon McAtee

I use MicroStation. Several years ago I made cels of each AN bolt, washer

an
nut. With the nut and washers you only have to draw one of each type the

scale
as needed. With the bolts draw one of each length of a given size and

scale as
needed to the desired size.

It's easy to set up a cel file for each type of item and in each size.

It will take an hour or two depending on your skill, but it really is

worth it.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old September 8th 04, 10:51 AM
Pierre

Thanks for the link, (i was happy there for a while, as I've been looking
for this type of data for quite some time) although there seems to be a
problem.

- Very hard to find the information
- Once the report required has been found I get a:
"You have attempted to access a page without proper authorization"

Hmmm, too bad, it would really have been great to have access to the actual
mil-specs...

u...

Old September 8th 04, 03:57 PM
Rich S.

IIRC, Mr. Wanttaja has a story about drawing AN bolts and some peculiar head
markings.

How 'bout an encore, Ron?

Rich

Old September 9th 04, 07:28 AM
Craig

"Pierre" wrote in message m...
Thanks for the link, (i was happy there for a while, as I've been looking
for this type of data for quite some time) although there seems to be a
problem.

- Very hard to find the information
- Once the report required has been found I get a:
"You have attempted to access a page without proper authorization"

Hmmm, too bad, it would really have been great to have access to the actual
mil-specs...

Which ones do you need? I've got a fairly good number of them in my
hard files here at the house.

Craig C.

Old September 10th 04, 01:49 AM
Leon McAtee

"smjmitchell" wrote in message . au...
There are some commercial libraries but you have to buy them.

For many other types of hardware you can download the files from the
hardware manufacturers web sites (usually for free) but not for any AN
hardware that I am aware of.

Dan is right though ... it is no big deal to draw them (I have done this for
some hardware).

I've begun the task of drawing the basics - as I need them. There
must be a "gazillion" different nuts out there, or it seems that way.
Once I get a good batch of files I'll post them on my web site for
download. No reason not to share.

CAD is something that I'm glad I taught myself. Slow at first, but
now, it really saves time and material. The reason for needing
hardware drawings was to make sure I had room to actually get a socket
on my aileron hinge mounts. Nice to know that there will be room
before mixing up the resin. There was! :-)

Also being able to print accurate full size templates takes a lot of
the work out of making things. Not a big deal if you follow the
plans, but if you venture as far out in the Experimental part of our
hobby as I have............

If you've never used CAD - Learn. Do a Google for DeltaCad for a good
first CAD program (free download). So simple I bet that even someone
that flunked geometry can make useable drawings in less than a 1/2
hour.
====================
Leon McAtee
Still looking for Aeronca C-3 factory drawings.

Old September 10th 04, 04:38 AM
QDurham

For many other types of hardware you can download the files from the
hardware manufacturers web sites (usually for free) but not for any AN
hardware that I am aware of.

Go get an Aircraft Spruce catalog.

Quent
Old September 10th 04, 01:53 PM
Pierre

It`s be nice to have the most commen type of hardware complete spec sitting
in a binder on a shelf just for when I need it.

The first thing that comes to mind is the thickness of bolt heads and nuts
(bolt length and grip length is in all catalogs but thickness of heads is
another story) i.e. MS21042, AN354 and AN365, etc.
Anchor nuts would be nice as well.
The idea is that when I`m making a drawing, I don`t need the intricate
details of the nut shape, but it`d be nice to know how thick it is (short of
buying one of each and measuring one myself!)

Also, strength values is not typically in catalogs. That would be nice to
have

Thanks for any help

"Craig" wrote in message
om...
"Pierre" wrote in message

m...
Thanks for the link, (i was happy there for a while, as I've been

looking
for this type of data for quite some time) although there seems to be a
problem.

- Very hard to find the information
- Once the report required has been found I get a:
"You have attempted to access a page without proper authorization"

Hmmm, too bad, it would really have been great to have access to the

actual
mil-specs...

Which ones do you need? I've got a fairly good number of them in my
hard files here at the house.

Craig C.

Extra 200 image files Peter Orlov Aerobatics 0 May 20th 04 11:19 PM
Go over the Binaries Files to see a real Hero Badwater Bill Home Built 0 March 20th 04 03:35 AM
Hardware Lou Parker Home Built 10 January 31st 04 12:21 PM
hardware to mount avionics trays Matthew M. Jurotich Home Built 1 November 17th 03 10:56 PM
Need help with hardware Paul Mennen Home Built 8 August 29th 03 03:54 AM