FAI/IGC/CAI File Name Decoding - Automated!!

Old September 15th 05, 09:19 PM
ContestID67

Default FAI/IGC/CAI File Name Decoding - Automated!!

See my other posting "IGC File Name Decoding Made Easy" on this topic.

Several people asked me to automate the "onerous" task of translating
FAI/IGC/CAI flight recorder file names.

I created an Excel spreadsheet which does the trick. See
http://www.skysoaring.com/FAI_Flight...e_Decoder_V1.x.
There is some error checking in this version and I am adding more.

Enter (copy/paste) the filename into the yellow box. The results of
the decoding immediately appear below in the green box.

Let me know if you find this useful. If so, and I find the time, I
will try to create a standalone visual basic tool.

Enjoy, John
johnatderosaweb.com

Old September 16th 05, 09:51 PM
ContestID67

Looks like the system didn't want to allow my URL which should have
ended in a .xls. Similar to it eating email ids. This may be a
security feature.

Let's try this again. The correct URL is;

http://www.skysoaring.com/FAI_Flight...Decoder_V1.xls

That is...
http://www.skysoaring.com/
with the filename
FAI_Flight_Recorder_Filename_Decoder_V1.xls

If you cannot download it, just send me an email and I will forward the
latest version to you.

Enjoy, John
johnatderosaweb.com

Old September 17th 05, 01:53 PM
Paul Remde

Hi John,

Cool. Good idea. That link works well for me. I'll add a link to it from
my Soaring Links pages.

You may want to note that the last digit is the flight number for the day.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

ups.com...

Old September 17th 05, 07:00 PM

Hi John,
thank you for the decode spread sheet.
In case you are looking for improvements, I do have a suggestion.
You could re-implement the code as a Windows system patch that would
display the information while the mouse cursor hoovers over the an IGC
filename in file lister programs such as Windows Explorer.
Bela

Old September 20th 05, 07:17 PM
ContestID67

For those without Excel installed, there is an Excel "viewer" available
at http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp.

This allows you to view and use an Excel spreadsheet without owning the
full version.

Old September 23rd 05, 08:26 PM
ContestID67

Please see some background information about this thread in the topic

Old September 23rd 05, 08:39 PM
ContestID67

In the "IGC File Name Decoding Made Easy" it was mentioned about the EW
Avionics recorders (and other recorders) which take a long base10
serial number and convert it to base36 (0-9, a-z) to fit in the file
name format.

"Cambridge, Garrecht (Volkslogger), Zander all use the external serial.
Filser,LX,Colibri,PrintTechnik convert external serial directly to
base36" - Peter Wyld

Peter also comments that depending on the Model of EW recorder, they
take the serial number on the case and add 2000 (B models) or 9000(D
models). A models stay the same. Whew.

From a post by Martin Gregorie I see the following example for an EW

model D

The A line from a trace: AEWAD0430 99429850
The serial number on the case: D0430
The serial number in a filename: 79Y

Taking D0430 and adding 9000 per Peter Wyld's post, I get a base10
serial number of 9430.

Taking 79Y and converting it to Base10.

79Y = 7x36x36 + 9x36 + 34 = 9430. Hey, it works.

All I need now is to get Excel to do the math in reverse and deal with
the add 2000 or 9000 to the SN. I'll report back.

Enjoy, John
johnatderosaweb.com

Old September 23rd 05, 08:57 PM
ContestID67

I noticed in Peter Wyld's comments: "Cambridge, Garrecht (Volkslogger),
Zander all use the external serial.
Filser, LX, Colibri, PrintTechnik convert external serial directly to
base36"

Two models are not mentioned in the CAI document dealing with
manufacturer file name encoding.

Zander
PrintTechnik

Does anyone have one of these recorders and could share with me an
example filename so I can figure out what the missing information is?

Thanks, John

Old September 23rd 05, 10:20 PM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article .com,
ContestID67 writes
In the "IGC File Name Decoding Made Easy" it was mentioned about the EW
Avionics recorders (and other recorders) which take a long base10
serial number and convert it to base36 (0-9, a-z) to fit in the file
name format.

"Cambridge, Garrecht (Volkslogger), Zander all use the external serial.
Filser,LX,Colibri,PrintTechnik convert external serial directly to
base36" - Peter Wyld

Peter also comments that depending on the Model of EW recorder, they
take the serial number on the case and add 2000 (B models) or 9000(D
models). A models stay the same. Whew.

What about the Model C? I don't think there were many of these, but I
believe there were some.

From a post by Martin Gregorie I see the following example for an EW

model D

The A line from a trace: AEWAD0430 99429850
The serial number on the case: D0430
The serial number in a filename: 79Y

Taking D0430 and adding 9000 per Peter Wyld's post, I get a base10
serial number of 9430.

Taking 79Y and converting it to Base10.

79Y = 7x36x36 + 9x36 + 34 = 9430. Hey, it works.

All I need now is to get Excel to do the math in reverse and deal with
the add 2000 or 9000 to the SN. I'll report back.

Enjoy, John
johnatderosaweb.com

The problem with deciding to decode Base-36 or Base-10 according to the
manufacturer code is that while a specific manufacturer may use Base-10
now, any future recorder models will not get approval for Base 10 serial
numbers, they will need to use Base-36.

For instance, Legacy Cambridge models use base-10, but 302 uses base-36.

I would therefore urge you to display both the Base-36 and the Base-10
serial numbers as it is not possible to determine the model from the
filename (if you ignore EW).

Tim Newport-Peace

"Indecision is the Key to Flexibility."
Old September 24th 05, 09:26 AM
Peter Wyld

At 21:36 23 September 2005, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
In article ,
ContestID67 writes
In the 'IGC File Name Decoding Made Easy' it was mentioned
about the EW
Avionics recorders (and other recorders) which take
a long base10
serial number and convert it to base36 (0-9, a-z) to
fit in the file
name format.

'Cambridge, Garrecht (Volkslogger), Zander all use
the external serial.
Filser,LX,Colibri,PrintTechnik convert external serial
directly to
base36' - Peter Wyld

Peter also comments that depending on the Model of
EW recorder, they
take the serial number on the case and add 2000 (B
models) or 9000(D
models). A models stay the same. Whew.

What about the Model C? I don't think there were many
of these, but I
believe there were some.

Model EWC - add 6000 (range 6001-8999, 4MP-5EF)
Model EWF - add 5000 (range 5001-5999, 3UX-4MN)

I have an Excel spreadsheet which converts logger serial
numbers to the b36 part of a filename. It's pretty
ugly, but you're welcome to it if you want it.