Young Eagles/Compensation

Old November 19th 05, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Young Eagles/Compensation

The board for my EAA chapter has just adopted a policy where the chapter
reimburses chapter members up to $75 of their rental aircraft expenses for
giving Young Eagle rides.

Aside from the issue that I'm not particularly comforable with the idea of
where the chapter's hard earned money is going, I don't think it is a fit
with the FAR's either. Yep, I've read the FAR's to research this topic, and
can't find a exception where this would be allowed for private
(non-commercial) pilots.

Have I missed something?

Old November 19th 05, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:
The board for my EAA chapter has just adopted a policy where the

chapter
reimburses chapter members up to $75 of their rental aircraft

expenses for
giving Young Eagle rides.

Aside from the issue that I'm not particularly comforable with

the idea of
where the chapter's hard earned money is going...

As a former EAA Chapter Officer, that's more than uncomfortable to
me. If members don't want to fly kids for the delight of doing so,
then it should be of no interest to Chapter management to spend
other members' money like that. Chapter management should ask
themselves exactly what they're accomplishing. Or just fly a kid
or two at a time. Honestly tell his/her Mom/Dad no thanx
necessary; I was subsidized to do it. $75 lousy bucks; if all that
big a deal, it may not be cynical to suggest that member may not
have enough rental time currency to fly the kid in virtual perfect
safety.

Fred F.

Old November 19th 05, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It does require that you send the FSDO a copy of your logs, medical,
etc BEFORE the flight. It also requires a drug test. AOPA has some drug
test exceptions but you have to remember to go online and apply for
them.

-Robert

Old November 19th 05, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"TaxSrv" wrote in message
. ..
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:
[...]

I have the same concerns. Also, it seems to be a conflict that under "the
plan", people who rent airplanes get compensated, wheras people who actually
own airplanes don't. Not that I want to be compensated, but if renters are
put in a world of financial hurt by spending $75 out of pocket on a rental,
I'm out at least 1/2 that on fuel alone, not to mention wear and tear plus
the fixed cost of owning my own airplane...

It just seems like a poorly though out idea to me... Hmm, MY dues go to pay
for YOUR gas, and at the same time I'm still paying for MY gas? Naah...

KB

Old November 19th 05, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As secretary and treasurer of an EAA Chapter, I would be uncomfortable
with reimbursement to aviators. And if you are just reimbursing renters
that wouldn't be fair to owners. They incur probably more of an expense
in flying Young Eagles than renters.

I have flown many Young Eagles over the years in my own Cherokee 180 and
fortune, but nobody is twisting my arm.

My reward for flying Young Eagles is my passion of flying and sharing
the experience with kids. Especially when they grab the yoke and
realize that flying is FUN!

Nick
PA28-180

Old April 15th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kyle Boatright wrote:

The board for my EAA chapter has just adopted a policy where the
chapter reimburses chapter members up to $75 of their rental aircraft
expenses for giving Young Eagle rides.

Aside from the issue that I'm not particularly comforable with the
idea of where the chapter's hard earned money is going, I don't think
it is a fit with the FAR's either. Yep, I've read the FAR's to
research this topic, and can't find a exception where this would be
allowed for private (non-commercial) pilots.

Have I missed something?

It may be worth reminding your board that the cost of renting a plane
rented solely for the purpose of flying young eagles is a tax deductable
expense, as are the direct costs of fuel, oil, landing fees and tiedowns
(not at your home base) associated with a young eagles flight. Owners
are only eligible for the direct costs and cannot deduct the hourly cost
of the airplane. With that in mind, if they give a subsidy to anyone,
it should be to owners to offset the inability to deduct use of the
airplane. That said, if you need to offer financial incentives to the
pilots, are you really sure you want those pilots being the ambassadors?
If the $75 is an issue, then as someone else said, the pilots are
likely not all that current. If they are current, then flying the kids
isn't all that different than taking a solo flight around the patch on a
sunny weekend, only it is far more rewarding. If it were my EAA
chapter, I'd be looking for a new chapter and be certain to let them
know why I was quitting.

Young Eagles + AvWeb Montblack Owning 18 April 15th 06 12:07 AM
Young Eagles + AvWeb Montblack Home Built 21 April 15th 06 12:07 AM
millionaire on the Internet... in weeks! Malcolm Austin Soaring 0 November 5th 04 11:14 PM
What Don Young, R-AK says about ATC privatization Chip Jones Instrument Flight Rules 2 September 19th 03 05:10 AM
What Don Young, R-AK says about ATC privatization Chip Jones Piloting 2 September 19th 03 05:10 AM