Kings Island

Old March 23rd 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Default Kings Island

On the Cincinatti TAC, Kings Island amusement park is depicted with a
drawing of what looks like the Eiffel Tower. My flight path was to be
right over it, but I was vectored thirty miles away, so did not get to
see it. My question is, other than the visual effect, why isn't there a
regular obstruction symbol for it? IT makes the location pretty vague
on the charts.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old March 23rd 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark T. Dame

Jose wrote:
On the Cincinatti TAC, Kings Island amusement park is depicted with a
drawing of what looks like the Eiffel Tower. My flight path was to be
right over it, but I was vectored thirty miles away, so did not get to
see it. My question is, other than the visual effect, why isn't there a
regular obstruction symbol for it? IT makes the location pretty vague
on the charts.

Because it is a replica of the Eiffel Tower and is very distinctive.
It's probably the best single landmark in the area, so I suppose the
chart makers felt that it would good to emphasize on the TAC.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## VP, Product Development
Old March 23rd 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Because it is a replica of the Eiffel Tower and is very distinctive. It's probably the best single landmark in the area, so I suppose the chart makers felt that it would good to emphasize on the TAC.

Sorry I missed it. But the chart should also indicate how high it is, no?

Jose
Old March 24th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

It happens that I drove past it on I-71 today - and yup, it does look
like the Eiffel Tower.
So does the one in Las Vegas - but it is surrounded by tall buildings.
The Cincinnati version does stick up like a sore thumb, but isn't
nearly as tall as the original (It is 1/3 scale). BTW - the Tokyo
Tower looks like the Eiffel as well, and is a bit taller.

David Johnson

Old March 24th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom McQuinn

I never thought about it from this perspective. The first thing I
usually see is one of the rides that is built on a brightly colored
vertical shaft. The Eiffel tower is something I have to look a little
more closely to see (from the air). To me, the symbol on the chart is
just pointing out the amusement park, not the tower itself. And there
are a multiple obstructions rising out of there!

Tom

Old March 26th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark T. Dame

Jose wrote:

But the chart should also indicate how high it is, no?

You would think. I don't have my flight bag with me at work right now,
so I'll have to look at it later.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## VP, Product Development
## MFM Software, Inc. (http://www.mfm.com/)
"Some settling may have occurred during shipping and handling."
-- My cereal box

NAS Whidbey Island Mack Naval Aviation 0 October 16th 05 12:56 AM
Mackinac Island Jon Kraus Piloting 38 July 16th 05 04:55 AM
Mackinac Island Jon Kraus Owning 29 July 16th 05 03:53 AM
Orca Island, WA Robert M. Gary Piloting 11 June 5th 04 04:38 PM
MS FS 2004 for Christmas...but the Kings are like some cruel lump of coal in the stocking :-) Jack Allison Piloting 19 January 6th 04 09:08 PM