Is it possible to switch from VFR to IFR and back?

Old November 29th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Is it possible to switch from VFR to IFR and back?

Dave Stadt writes:

What in the world does a parachute have to do with roll stability.

If the plane is unstable, you can just pull the chute.

Do you believe the parachute makes the plane more stable?

I think the Martians do it.

Old November 29th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Dave Stadt writes:

What in the world does a parachute have to do with roll stability.

If the plane is unstable, you can just pull the chute.

You might wish to look up the term "roll stability" to understand just how
absurd your notion is.

Neil

Old November 29th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Neil,

You might wish to look up the term "roll stability" to understand just how
absurd your notion is.

Why do you still honor this guy with answers?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 29th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

"Neil Gould" wrote in
:

You might wish to look up the term "roll stability" to understand just
how absurd your notion is.

Neil

You are wasting your time Neil. He won't look it up.....

Allen
Old November 29th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Garret

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Dave Stadt writes:

What in the world does a parachute have to do with roll stability.

If the plane is unstable, you can just pull the chute.

I suppose you can, but that would be an exceedingly foolish thing to do.
To begin with, the plane *is* unstable (unless the autopilot is engaged
and working properly). That is just a fact (notwithstanding what your
simulator has to say about it). So if your plan is to pull the chute at
the onset of instability then you'll have to pull it as soon as your
wheels leave the ground. That would be unwise.

But I presume you meant to say that if you end up out of control in IMC
as a result of the plane's instability then you can save yourself by
pulling the chute. No, you can't. The chute only works below 133 KIAS.
Faster than that and it shreds. If you let the situation deteriorate to
the point where you can't recover you are almost certainly in a spiral
dive, and the chances that your airspeed will be less than 133 KIAS at
that point are vanishingly small.

Sorry, Anthony, there is simply no way around the fact that flying a
real airplane in IMC is significantly harder than you think it is.

rg
Old November 29th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Neil Gould

Recently, Thomas Borchert posted:

Neil,

You might wish to look up the term "roll stability" to understand
just how absurd your notion is.

Why do you still honor this guy with answers?

Notice that my answers send him elsewhere and underscore the inaccuracy of
his ideas? ;-)

Neil

Old November 29th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Neil Gould

Allen,

Recently, A Lieberma posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote in
:

You might wish to look up the term "roll stability" to understand
just how absurd your notion is.

Neil

You are wasting your time Neil. He won't look it up.....

I don't expect that he will. However, someone who wants to know why his
notion is bizarre might, and can then draw their own conclusions about his
knowledge of the topic. That is the reader I'm writing to in my responses
to Mxsmanic.

Neil

Old November 29th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

"Neil Gould" wrote in
:

Notice that my answers send him elsewhere and underscore the
inaccuracy of his ideas? ;-)

Here lies the problem... IT DOES NOT send him elsewhere. He only replies
back with more bizarre answers.

The best thing to rid of a troll is to totally ignore him.

Allen
Old November 29th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

T o d d P a t t i s t writes:

There are quite a few cases of pilotless aircraft doing a
halfway decent job of flying and landing themselves. I've
heard of it with respect to Cubs and Champs that were
hand-propped without being tied down, and gliders that the
pilot bailed out of. I'm not saying they were all fully
roll stable in level flight, but it is not true that "Every
one of them will end up in a pile of aluminum oxide if the
controls are released."

Logically, if the airplane is well designed, and if there are no
disturbances to its equilibrium in straight and level flight, it will
not suddenly spiral out of control. Some types of disturbances to
that equilibrium may encourage instabilities that will take the
aircraft out of straight and level flight. These instabilities may
damp themselves out, returning the aircraft to straight and level or
something close to it, or they may reinforce themselves over time,
ultimately becoming serious enough to drive the aircraft into terrain.

There are a lot of possibilities. Asserting that all aircraft (or
even all GA aircraft) will crash shortly after one takes one's hands
off the controls is overly extreme and broad.

Old November 29th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
N2310D

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Ron Garret writes:

When it's trimmed as well as I
can manage and the air is smooth, my SR22 still rolls a few tenths of a
degree per second.

But it has a parachute, doesn't it?

Way to go, manic!! You just scored another tally mark in your bid for
usenet idiot of the month. You really don't know how stupid you sound most
of the time, do you?