Gas Prices -- Help at last?

Old October 9th 05, 03:24 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 13:40:56 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

For example, here in Iowa City (and our sister city, Coralville) we spend
something approaching $18 million annually on the bus system. That is
enough to buy every single rider a pretty decent (better than the Mighty
Grape) used car -- every year.

one day you might think about eating those cars. :-)
you and your kids need a clean environment to _survive_, cars don't help
you to survive.

#m
--
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010920-8.html
Old October 9th 05, 03:27 PM
Jose

I don't believe anyone here has argued in favor of unfettered industrial
waste.

You appear to be.

The bottom line is this: If we've been unable to build new refineries
because we made them a regulatory nightmare, it's time to ratchet the
regulations back a notch or three.

That's not the measure of the worth of regulation.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old October 9th 05, 03:28 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:06:09 GMT, .Blueskies. wrote:

Put the vehicles on rails, power them with electricity, and define the route. Amazing how folks will build along the
route to take advantage of the easily available transportation. Oh wait, that was back in the 1800's....

and they are building a new system in Phoenix, AZ:
http://www.valleymetro.org/rail/

#m
Old October 9th 05, 03:29 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 13:42:57 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

Nice folks -- but we tend to avoid discussing politics with them...

this is a good idea if you want to keep your guests.

#m
Old October 9th 05, 05:00 PM
Newps

Martin Hotze wrote:

hydrogen powered vehicles might be a good solution everywhere,

You'll never see hydrogen powered cars in any number. It takes too much
energy to put the hydrogen in a bottle for my use in a car.

Old October 9th 05, 06:49 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 10:00:56 -0600, Newps wrote:

hydrogen powered vehicles might be a good solution everywhere,

You'll never see hydrogen powered cars in any number. It takes too much
energy to put the hydrogen in a bottle for my use in a car.

given the fact that there is no oil or gas available (timewarp yourself to
the future): what kind of energy and energy storage would you use for
powering small units like cars?

#m
Old October 9th 05, 06:51 PM
Matt Whiting

Martin Hotze wrote:
On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 13:40:56 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

In case you haven't noticed, "Mass transit" is something most Americans use
only as a last resort -- and for very good reasons.

mostly because of the ego. it is the same here, too. (but using the bus
here is not seen as being poor or something)

Shows how little you understand Americans.

Matt
Old October 9th 05, 06:55 PM
Jose

But if no pollution is allowed, we'd be in real trouble. Even the smoke from a
campfire is pollution.

True. Breathing causes pollution too.

But that's not the point. Reasonable limits must be placed on pollution
through external means (such as "onerous legislative barriers") because
big business has no incentive not to pollute, and us little folks have
little or no recourse against them should they decide (within the law)
to foul our nest while they feather theirs.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old October 9th 05, 07:13 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 17:51:25 GMT, Matt Whiting wrote:

mostly because of the ego. it is the same here, too. (but using the bus
here is not seen as being poor or something)

Shows how little you understand Americans.

Ot might be different in the big metros like NY/DC or LA (IIRC there is a
train connecting cities along the cost) - I've never been to the really big
metros; but the areas where I've been I never saw business-like dressed
people waiting or boarding a bus.

Matt

#m
Old October 9th 05, 07:50 PM
Bob Noel

In article ,
Martin Hotze wrote:

but the areas where I've been I never saw business-like dressed
people waiting or boarding a bus.

because it would be a colossal waste of their time?

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule