I hate cell towers

Old June 16th 04, 02:35 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:fDIzc.55160$HG.2608@attbi_s53...
He hasn't given any indication that he wants the towers removed. He

wants
the
*strobes* removed.

Right.

Man, my sentence structure must be garbled lately -- it seems like

everyone
is misinterpreting my posts!

What posts?

Old June 16th 04, 04:26 AM
Peter Duniho

"EDR" wrote in message
That's it! That's the word, "sparsly populated", not "uncongested"!
There is no definition for either of those words in the FAA lexicon.

No, you're right, there's not. One of those "funny" places in the FARs
where the FAA never really tells exactly what they mean.

I like to think of it this way: if it's actually possible to be below 500'
and at least 2000' laterally from the nearest man-made structure, that's
"sparsely populated". Or in other words, if you can't get 2000'
laterally away from the nearest man-made structure, thus rendering the
theoretical "below 500' AGL" allowance moot, that's NOT "sparsely
populated".

To state it yet another way: if you can apply the regulation to get below
500', then you're in "sparsely populated" terrority.

Pete

Old June 16th 04, 11:06 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:55:02 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

Just like when they added the third brake light to motor vehicles, there was
an increase in rear-end accidents with vehicles that didn't have the third
brake light.

I am sure there was, and that it will increase over time as they
become more rare.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old June 16th 04, 11:07 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Has anyone else grown annoyed by the proliferation of cell towers with
strobe lights?

Every time we're coming into land in Iowa City -- especially when Mary is
flying, and I'm concentrating exclusively on traffic avoidance -- I spot

one
or more cell tower strobes out of the corner of my eye, and momentarily
tense up. There always follows a nervous moment or two while we determine
that it's really not another aircraft...

Who is the idiot that decreed that all cell towers should have *strobe*
lights on them? What was wrong with the simple red lights that other
obstructions sport?

Near Cardiff airport in the UK there are a couple of 1000ft masts
that are actually used as visual reporting points. Wenvoe had a
period of having strobes up it. It looked very cool from the ground,
no idea about from the air as I didn't fly at the time. However within
a couple of years (maybe more, I lose track of time) it was back to
red lights.

Paul

Old June 16th 04, 11:12 AM
Cub Driver

On 15 Jun 2004 19:41:51 GMT, wrote:

Please explain. I am only a student pilot and would like to know what areas
could one be less that 500 AGL without issues, other than approach or
departure.

Mike, the requirement is that you stay 500 feet from anything manmade.
You can for example skim the surface of a frozen lake, either turning
to one side or climbing if you come across a snowmobile. (To cite an
example from my own experience.) Same over a lake that is not busy
with traffic. Same indeed over land, though I would wager that you'd
get into trouble in a wooded, built-up area such as I live in, in SE
New Hampshire. It's much more difficult over land to be sure you are
500 feet from a human or a human artifact such as a tent, for example.

Old June 16th 04, 11:37 AM
Cub Driver

On 15 Jun 2004 17:31:25 GMT, wrote:

My only reason for asking is this, if we are not supposed to fly lower the
500ft AGL, why would this be a concern? The only location I could see that
this would matter is in the approach path.

First time I used Flight Sim, I was astonished at how unlike the local
terrain the image on the monitor was. It was full of cell phone
antennae, which I had never seen, and missing most of the landmarks I
regularly used.

I don't know if I've ever seen a cell-phone tower. (Plenty of towers,
of course, and I suppose some of them serve as cell-phone towers as
well.)

Old June 16th 04, 05:04 PM
Peter Duniho

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
I am sure there was

You are "sure"? How convenient. In that case, I'm just as "sure" that
there wasn't.

Old June 16th 04, 09:43 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Well, if you have to worry about hitting a 200 foot tower five miles from
the airport, you are in deeper doo-doo than any strobe is going to help...

Or you're in a helicopter.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 17th 04, 05:33 AM
aaronw

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 05:59:46 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

Increasingly, I am seeing strobes within red traffic lights, and even
within red octagonal stop signs. They do increase awareness, but of
course in the end will lead to accidents at the traffic lights / stop
signs that are not so equipped.

I have seen some of these strobe inside the red lights and the few
places I've seen them are generally when they are unexpected. it's a
two-lane divided highway or similar, and there is a solitary
intersection, and it's the only one for miles. It really gets your
attention there because, well, the light is unexpected in that area.

aw
Old June 17th 04, 11:08 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:04:03 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

You are "sure"? How convenient. In that case, I'm just as "sure" that
there wasn't.

Fine. Don't drive in Boston during the Democratic National Convention