Roeger Hooks for ASW Sailplanes?

Old October 20th 12, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Default Roeger Hooks for ASW Sailplanes?

Saw one installed on a buddies DG...anyone know if there's any approvals for install on Schliecher's? Looks like a good idea and not too spendy...

Rob S.
ASW-19
Old October 21st 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You could email A.S. or John Murray.
Old October 23rd 12, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Hmmm...ok. Will do. Have looked at most/if not all of the TN's for 19's and haven't found it addressed. Perhaps it's overkill (based on conversations with -19 bailout survivors), but still would like to stack the deck in my favor.

Thanks.

RS
Old October 23rd 12, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 22, 2012 10:32:25 PM UTC-4, RAS56 wrote:
Hmmm...ok. Will do. Have looked at most/if not all of the TN's for 19's and haven't found it addressed. Perhaps it's overkill (based on conversations with -19 bailout survivors), but still would like to stack the deck in my favor.

Thanks.

RS

Right; it concerned me a bit moving from a 304C (with the hook) to a 19.
I imagined braining myself attempting to bail out. However, what I've
heard is that the canopy stays stuck on by air pressure after you pull
all the handles, and you have to push it off.

My bigger concern is the instrument panel. It's a fair chore to extricate
my tired old bulk at the end of a flight sitting on the ground. I quail in
horror at getting out against positive G, or at breaking my legs coming
out in negative G.

-- Matt
Old October 23rd 12, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:02:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Lots of good information about canopy behavior during bail-out. http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/roegerhaken-e.html

Craig
Old October 24th 12, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Matt,

Not to toot my own horn (too much!) but I wrote an article about a gent's bailout experience in a -19 earlier this year for Soaring Cafe.

Link to the article is he

http://soaringcafe.com/2012/05/the-b...are-you-ready/

Regards,

Rob
Old October 24th 12, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:02:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, October 22, 2012 10:32:25 PM UTC-4, RAS56 wrote: Hmmm...ok. Will do. Have looked at most/if not all of the TN's for 19's and haven't found it addressed. Perhaps it's overkill (based on conversations with -19 bailout survivors), but still would like to stack the deck in my favor. Thanks. RS Right; it concerned me a bit moving from a 304C (with the hook) to a 19. I imagined braining myself attempting to bail out. However, what I've heard is that the canopy stays stuck on by air pressure after you pull all the handles, and you have to push it off. My bigger concern is the instrument panel. It's a fair chore to extricate my tired old bulk at the end of a flight sitting on the ground. I quail in horror at getting out against positive G, or at breaking my legs coming out in negative G. -- Matt

Tilt up panel for '19 is not particularly hard to do and has no significant effect on Wt & Bal. We've done a couple of them.
A look at "modern" Schleicher cockpits and canopies would be useful in determining how to get a similar result in older Schleicher gliders.
FWIW the best technique I've heard, if one could remember to do it is to cross arms so left hand grabs the right latch and Rt grabs left. Thus when canopy is released, you don't get hit in the kisser.
UH

Pics/Drawings of Roeger Hook Installation in LS8 Papa3[_2_] Soaring 0 April 27th 12 08:09 PM
Final Approach, pt 3 - Houston Hooks 35.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_3_] Aviation Photos 5 April 9th 09 10:27 AM
OTTFUR HOOKS Paul Moslin Soaring 0 January 5th 09 09:15 PM
Retrofitting Roeger Hook Chip Bearden Soaring 2 September 20th 07 11:54 PM
Q: Bridle hooks for Blanik L13? Roger Worden Soaring 2 March 4th 06 01:59 AM