Letter to the FAA

Old June 7th 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

Default Letter to the FAA

Walt,
Convince me,
Please list at least the dates and locations of fatal tow accidents since, say, 1950 which were caused by failure of a tow release on the tug initiated by a "kiting' glider. Of course, Schweizer releases mounted non inverted.
Thank you.
Old June 7th 17, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Reading some of the comments on here are disgusting and immature. We have a gentlemen here who has raised concerns after losing his job as a tow pilot from a near fatal accident all while he is taking the high road by avoiding to speak negative of anyone. If you are unable to see that the motivation for this letter, it is for your own benefit. For the people here who are balking at an effort to improve safety, you are the ones who are a massive lead weight to the sport of soaring, this sport would be better off without you. I've first hand seen too many soaring accidents that are quickly covered up and not talked about which leads to no change and then history repeating itself again for no good excuse.

For the ones on here who want freedom, I ask you these question: If your automobile had a recall that was for your safety, would you not do it? If a taxi cab service had the freedom to disregard a recall for a faulty tire that explodes, would you want them to exercise their freedom to not replace the faulty dangerous tire?

Look at the improvements made with spectra ropes. These kind of ropes seldom fail and that's why everyone has switched to them. Can anyone say that this was a poor decision to switch to a more reliable system?

It appears that the Soaring Safety Foundation has become ineffective despite their claims for great success and this is why a pilot is going straight to the FAA. To publicly run down a tow pilot after they lost their job when they are trying to help make advancements for the sport is extremely distasteful. Perhaps a better approach would be to join forces to help find the best solution, which some of you are doing.

I'm shocked that some insurance companies will still cover a towplane that has a defective tow hook much like this discussed. Why would anyone not want to upgrade to a safer system is beyond my comprehension for reasonable thinking except for those who wish to live on the edge and have no regard for their own life.

Old June 7th 17, 12:30 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Williams View Post
Walt,
Convince me,
Please list at least the dates and locations of fatal tow accidents since, say, 1950 which were caused by failure of a tow release on the tug initiated by a "kiting' glider. Of course, Schweizer releases mounted non inverted.
Thank you.
Scott,

I am currently doing as complete an analysis of the situation as I can to support my position and this will take some time but I'm curious. How many fatal accidents attributable to a Schweizer hook failure to release in a kiting situation would it take to have you on my side? One? Two? Five? Come back with a specific number and I will share with you what I have.

I CAN tell you the date, place and the name of the pilot who last found himself 1 second from being on that list. It was 4-20-17 at SLGP and the pilots name was Walt Connelly. Had the rope not broken....

Walt
Old June 7th 17, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

I don't like the flippant responses either. My argument was that a letter to the FAA was not going to have the effect desired and in fact could have draconian and unintended consequences.

As a tow pilot (and a CFI-G) with many tows under my belt and having been in some dire situations (all with Tost hooks) I understand that this is a fundamentally risky endeavor, on both ends of the rope. I/we work very hard to manage that risk and we have to continue.

My point is that we as a sport (or industry) need to work everyday to manage risk, identify the issues, analyze/understand what's happening and work hard to remediate the hazards. We really can't expect the FAA to do this from their perspective without causing more problems.

The callous and flippant remarks are truly the sign of hazardous attitudes and or immaturity. Having been yanked around to the point of losing control of the tow plane and or looking back in my mirror and seeing the complete underside of a glider while I'm in a level attitude after the glider pilot lost control (the rope broke and we made it home) - it's a very hopeless and terrible feeling. It makes sense that it provokes a reaction on the part of the tow pilot. That should be respected. The "rugged independence" and individualism of sailplane flying is only true after you get off tow - until then it's a team sport.

I just don't see the FAA reaction or "fix" as viable or appropriate.

And as I said before, I'd never tow with anything other than the Tost setup..

I hardly ever post here - mostly lurk. I do find it very interesting and illuminating to read these long and contentious subjects - it reveals a lot.

Tom
Old June 7th 17, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

as a PIC, you always have the option to decide that the risk is not within acceptable limits it's no different than the wind being to strong for you. no one is using a cattle prod to jockey you into the towplane. you can refuse to fly, and if you aren't comfortable, i hope you have refused.

has your club/operation switched to a TOST release? if not, why? you could refuse to tow until they switch, both because it makes you uncomfortable, and as a means of getting your point across. we all have the option of staying on the ground regardless of what the regs say. maybe you've already done that. lobby your clubs leadership to switch releases. if they don't want to pay for it and you're so passionate, talk to people, take up a collection amongst them, and pay some for the release yourself. have you done these things?

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 8:43:10 PM UTC-4, Walt Connelly wrote:
Before I send my letter to the FAA I'd like to ask if anyone has ever
attempted to get them to see the light and end the use of Schweizer
hooks on tow planes here in the land of the free and the home of the
brave. It is a well known fact and clearly stated in the SSA/SSF and
FAA circulars and literature that under certain conditions (the exact
condition that the tow pilot will need to release) that it can be near
impossible to release the glider. Tow planes have crashed, lives have
been lost and at the same time everyone knows that this is a dangerous
situation.

Along with the conversion to Tost hooks I'd like to see it made
mandatory that the release handles be up high, near the throttle and
quickly available to the tow pilot with adequate mechanical advantage. I
can assure you that one does not have the time to go ducking and
reaching and feeling for a handle down on the floor of a Pawnee while
the glider kites in back of you.

The idea of requiring nose hooks on all gliders does not seem to be
feasible although it has been brought up to me as something that needs
to be addressed. My understanding is that the CG hook is meant for
ground/winch launch operations, however I have probably done thousands
of CG hook aero tows with no problem. For the most part these are ships
being flown by the best and most aware pilots. I'd like more input from
experience pilots on this point.

I currently have a number of highly experienced pilots from all levels
of aviation in agreement with me and willing to help me in this cause.

If one life is saved as a result of this endeavor then it will be well
worth it.

Walt Connelly

--
Walt Connelly

Old June 7th 17, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 12:43:06 PM UTC-6, Walt Connelly wrote:
Frank Whiteley;948185 Wrote:
On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 9:32:03 PM UTC-6, JS wrote:-
On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 5:43:09 PM UTC-7, Walt Connelly wrote:-
ND;948042 Wrote: -
I, along with many others, agree with burt on this one walt. go
through
steve northcraft if you choose to pursue this further.

[...]

Who is Steve Northcraft and what authority does he have to affect the
situation?

Walt

--
Walt Connelly-

He's just the chair of the SSA Government Liaison Committee.
Other than that Mrs Kennedy, how was Dallas?
Jim-

Tried to PM Walt at an AOL address with Steve's contact info. SSA
committees and member information are only visible when logged into the
SSA web site.

Frank Whiteley

Frank,

I am in receipt of your email with Steve Northcraft's contact
information. What exactly would you have me do? Submit my report to him
for presentation to the FAA?

My problem is that I have found accidents as far back as 1999 which
acknowledged that the tow hook release mechanism revealed the potential
for binding of the release latch when the aircraft being towed moved
significantly above the normal horizon position. (NTSB SEA99FA080)
This among others and the acknowledgement in SSA, SFF (page 9 SSF Tow
pilot training course and FAA Advisory Circular, Date 3/3/08 AC #
43.13.2B) that the release might fail to operate AT THE VERY MOMENT WHEN
IT MIGHT SAVE THE TOW PILOT'S LIFE.

I can attest to the fact that these things can occur in the wink of
an eye and at certain altitudes they will be potentially fatal
regardless of the type of hook or release handle availability. That
does NOT negate the fact that the tow pilot deserves a fighting chance
to survive and should not be held captive to an antiquated system when
that system is known to be prone to failure when needed the most. Been
there, done that.

A Canadian soaring club 30 years ago recognized this problem as a
result of an accident, they now have Tost hooks and a release up near
the throttle as per Dave Springford.

The BGA recognized this problem and now it is mandated that the
release handle be located close to the throttle and I am informed by
reliable sources that Tost hooks are the norm.

So where is the SSA, SFF in this regard? What actions have they
taken to recognize and correct this? I would be happy to put this in
Steve's lap if I thought it would be properly addressed and acted on.

It is NOT my intention to inhibit in any way the soaring world here
in the USA. My sole intention is to save the life of the next tow pilot
who finds his or herself in a sudden kiting situation while down low
with a Schweizer hook and an ineffective release handle.

Walt Connelly

--
Walt Connelly

At least discuss your proposal with Steve. There may be history with the FAA on this issue.

Frank Whiteley
Old June 7th 17, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How many fatal accidents attributable to a Schweizer hook failure to
release in a kiting situation would it take to have you on my side?
One? Two? Five?

If that is your logic recreational flight is not defensible. We average half dozen glider pilot fatalities in the US per year. Are you going to write a letter about that? Being a tow pilot, even with an Elmira Death Hook, is safer than being a glider pilot. If it is worth it to get the FAA involved to save towpilots it would be hypocritical and morally wrong not to get the FAA involved in saving glider pilots.
Old June 7th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Nice reply - still chuckling. Glad some of us can keep our sense of humor.

On 6/6/2017 5:17 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 6:18:49 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
So practice that abstinence and stop flying.

Some of us lack self control to stay on the ground, we need Walt's letter to save us

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 7th 17, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

Even one is a tragedy,

Please Share,
Scott

How many fatal accidents attributable to a Schweizer hook failure to
release in a kiting situation would it take to have you on my side?
One? Two? Five? Come back with a specific number and I will share
with you what I have.

I CAN tell you the date, place and the name of the pilot who last
found himself 1 second from being on that list. It was 4-20-17 at SLGP
and the pilots name was Walt Connelly. Had the rope not broken....

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

from latest news letter on vulcan, hope it is of intrest to some of you if you dont get the news letter PAUL H Aviation Photos 0 January 27th 13 12:21 PM
A LETTER OF THANKS minimoa Soaring 0 September 14th 10 12:06 AM
Letter from TSA? Emily Piloting 14 August 14th 06 11:33 PM
A letter to a friend... Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com Naval Aviation 3 August 23rd 05 12:23 AM
Letter from TSA Rosspilot Piloting 2 November 20th 03 02:12 AM