A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

COVID-19 Operational Considerations

Old April 28th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default COVID-19 Operational Considerations

Thirty seconds into the video and I'm laughing so hard I've got tears
running down my cheeks.Â* A lot of folks who watch this (and you know who
you are) will think that people with southern or mid western accents are
dumb.Â* No - they just know how to laugh at this situation.Â* You should,
too.Â* (You know who you are.)

On 4/27/2020 5:21 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
Meanwhile in Florida, Darwinism rears its head.

https://youtu.be/Vfmaza3lPDc

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 28th 20, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 9:32:09 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:

--
Dan, 5J

The fact that some folks would think she is being serious is hilarious. The joke is on them.
Old April 28th 20, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 11:51:14 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 9:32:09 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:

--
Dan, 5J

The fact that some folks would think she is being serious is hilarious. The joke is on them.

I guess we'll throw the Canadian a bone on this one. We're nice guys, after all.

These guys aren't sarcastic at all. Watch soon, this keeps getting deleted from Youtube for absolutely no defensible reason.

Covid-19 perspective from a couple of ER docs.

Cliff notes conclusion: "the lockdown is unjustified". These guys support my assertion that we can go soaring safely (with some significant tweaks to our normal ops). QT please watch. Sorry it's long. It's quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJegzdhQjdI

T8

PS: My club has decided to open, with a couple of pages of new operational requirements, heavy on social distancing and hygiene. I've read this once through, it seems quite thorough and reasonable.
Old April 28th 20, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Yes,not sure about those guys.

My first question is that they are taking their test results for the folks who come in to get a test and extrapolating it to the whole population. What about sampling bias? Mostly those with symptoms or known exposure are getting tested. Doesn't seem like a good sample to extrapolate to say something about asymptomatic transmission. To 'follow the science' they need to account for this bias. (It might even strengthen their case?)

Second question is that they dismiss NY and say it's no worse than a bad flu season. CDC shows flu deaths at 40k maybe 60k for a bad year. This is for the whole year over the whole country. NY has 20k Covid deaths. But this is for only a small part of the year and country. Their numbers here just don't make sense to me.

Third, they flaunting not wearing a mask as making a stronger immune system.. This seems a case of what doesn't kill you might make you stronger, and they are only telling half the story.

They may have a axe or two to grind in wanting to reopen their clinic for general procedures, and also don't like government intrusiveness.

I think the virus can be really bad with high concentrations of folks over an extended time. (Like NYC subways, meatpacking plants, and Mardi Gras.) We probably underreacted there.

In areas where these docs practice we probably overreacted. There may be some good messages in what they are saying, but their overstatements may have killed the good.

Old April 28th 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 4:37:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:

My first question is that they are taking their test results for the folks who come in to get a test and extrapolating it to the whole population. What about sampling bias? Mostly those with symptoms or known exposure are getting tested. Doesn't seem like a good sample to extrapolate to say something about asymptomatic transmission. To 'follow the science' they need to account for this bias. (It might even strengthen their case?)

Second question is that they dismiss NY and say it's no worse than a bad flu season. CDC shows flu deaths at 40k maybe 60k for a bad year. This is for the whole year over the whole country. NY has 20k Covid deaths. But this is for only a small part of the year and country. Their numbers here just don't make sense to me.

Third, they flaunting not wearing a mask as making a stronger immune system. This seems a case of what doesn't kill you might make you stronger, and they are only telling half the story.

They may have a axe or two to grind in wanting to reopen their clinic for general procedures, and also don't like government intrusiveness.

I think the virus can be really bad with high concentrations of folks over an extended time. (Like NYC subways, meatpacking plants, and Mardi Gras.) We probably underreacted there.

In areas where these docs practice we probably overreacted. There may be some good messages in what they are saying, but their overstatements may have killed the good.

They've cooked the books regarding wuhan flu deaths. If you have respiratory symptoms and die from being run over by a bus it is scored as a covid kill. It might be slightly more dangerous than seasonal flu, slightly, maybe.
Fly or forever hide in your basement.
Old April 29th 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 4:47:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Third, they flaunting not wearing a mask as making a stronger immune system. This seems a case of what doesn't kill you might make you stronger, and they are only telling half the story.

They've cooked the books regarding wuhan flu deaths. If you have respiratory symptoms and die from being run over by a bus it is scored as a covid kill. It might be slightly more dangerous than seasonal flu, slightly, maybe.

If they "cooked the books" , presumably it was to benefit someone. Who would that someone be?
UH
Old April 29th 20, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 7:15:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 4:47:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:

If they "cooked the books" , presumably it was to benefit someone. Who would that someone be?
UH

Hospitals for one. More money for covid than colds. https://www.wibc.com/blogs/chicks/ve...n-ventilators/
Old April 29th 20, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

You know what? I agree. I didn't even get snookered, I snookered myself. Confirmation bias through and through.

Thanks for being nice about it.

T8
Old April 29th 20, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 8:06:20 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:

You know what? I agree. I didn't even get snookered, I snookered myself.. Confirmation bias through and through.

Thanks for being nice about it.

T8

One comment on "follow the money" thinking. Most hospitals (and medical practices whose core business is elective procedures) are taking a massive financial hit due to this. Not surprising to me that some in the hit would start coming up with ways to argue against restrictions. Human nature. And by the way, they may be doctors, but that does not qualify them as epidemiologists.

Another comment on the completely unsubstantiated assertion of "cooked books" re deaths. 1. Some data please. 2. Although it may be considered semantics, IMO all deaths above the expected average baseline are due to the COVID situation, whether COVID is the direct cause of death or not. (There may be another significant change in the oveall environment, but no one has enumerated it). This included deaths due to a) not seeking care for some non-COVID illness or condition; b) deaths from other causes due to not being able to get a bed taken by a COVID patient, etc. etc. So the epidemic impact is the increase in deaths over baseline. Easily and accurately measured.
Old April 29th 20, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I understand in some places usual average death rate is down. Attributed to less motor vehicle accidents, sadly probably also due to less people getting medical care as medical mistakes are one of the top causes of death in Western countries. For evidence of hinkyness in overall corvid death numbers look at the reported pneumonia death average and the recent pneumonia death average. My opinion is this is just a flu with flu like death rates give or take and all sorts of people are jumping up and down to push various agendas. None of which I care about, I just want to fly.