Winter ASI Repair in US?

Old May 5th 15, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Winter ASI Repair in US?

I see a couple of old threads suggesting that Winter ASIs need to go back to Germany for repair and recalibration. One of the ASIs in our Grob 103 is reading 8-10kts low vs two known good units. Anyone had any luck with a shop in the US? Otherwise, it's off the the Fatherland with this one...

Erik Mann (P3)
Old November 10th 20, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 9:26:23 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
I see a couple of old threads suggesting that Winter ASIs need to go back to Germany for repair and recalibration. One of the ASIs in our Grob 103 is reading 8-10kts low vs two known good units. Anyone had any luck with a shop in the US? Otherwise, it's off the the Fatherland with this one...

Yeah, I know, five years too late. I'll respond here, in the event that some future friend has this problem, too.

Keystone Instruments in Lockhaven, PA will fix any Winter airspeed indicators without having to ship them over the ocean to the Fatherland.

I'm not sure if it's not much cheaper than buying a new instrument, though.
Old November 10th 20, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 4:36:30 PM UTC-8, Piet Barber wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 9:26:23 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
I see a couple of old threads suggesting that Winter ASIs need to go back to Germany for repair and recalibration. One of the ASIs in our Grob 103 is reading 8-10kts low vs two known good units. Anyone had any luck with a shop in the US? Otherwise, it's off the the Fatherland with this one...

Yeah, I know, five years too late. I'll respond here, in the event that some future friend has this problem, too.

Keystone Instruments in Lockhaven, PA will fix any Winter airspeed indicators without having to ship them over the ocean to the Fatherland.

I'm not sure if it's not much cheaper than buying a new instrument, though.

It’s been a number of years now, but I bundled up 8 or 10 broken air speeds, altimeters and vario’s and sent the bunch back to Germany.. Took a couple of months, but several were repaired and re-certified at about 25% of new costs. They advised that some units were beyond economic repair.
JJ
Old November 10th 20, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 7:36:30 PM UTC-5, Piet Barber wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 9:26:23 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
I see a couple of old threads suggesting that Winter ASIs need to go back to Germany for repair and recalibration. One of the ASIs in our Grob 103 is reading 8-10kts low vs two known good units. Anyone had any luck with a shop in the US? Otherwise, it's off the the Fatherland with this one...

Yeah, I know, five years too late. I'll respond here, in the event that some future friend has this problem, too.

Keystone Instruments in Lockhaven, PA will fix any Winter airspeed indicators without having to ship them over the ocean to the Fatherland.

I'm not sure if it's not much cheaper than buying a new instrument, though.

I have used Keystone Instruments for all manner of work, including my Winter altimeter and transponder checks. Great to work with, great service and the prices to me were quite good.