A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Winter ASI Repair in US?

Old May 5th 15, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Winter ASI Repair in US?

I see a couple of old threads suggesting that Winter ASIs need to go back to Germany for repair and recalibration. One of the ASIs in our Grob 103 is reading 8-10kts low vs two known good units. Anyone had any luck with a shop in the US? Otherwise, it's off the the Fatherland with this one...

Erik Mann (P3)
Old November 10th 20, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 9:26:23 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
I see a couple of old threads suggesting that Winter ASIs need to go back to Germany for repair and recalibration. One of the ASIs in our Grob 103 is reading 8-10kts low vs two known good units. Anyone had any luck with a shop in the US? Otherwise, it's off the the Fatherland with this one...

Yeah, I know, five years too late. I'll respond here, in the event that some future friend has this problem, too.

Keystone Instruments in Lockhaven, PA will fix any Winter airspeed indicators without having to ship them over the ocean to the Fatherland.

I'm not sure if it's not much cheaper than buying a new instrument, though.
Old November 10th 20, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 4:36:30 PM UTC-8, Piet Barber wrote:

Yeah, I know, five years too late. I'll respond here, in the event that some future friend has this problem, too.

Keystone Instruments in Lockhaven, PA will fix any Winter airspeed indicators without having to ship them over the ocean to the Fatherland.

It’s been a number of years now, but I bundled up 8 or 10 broken air speeds, altimeters and vario’s and sent the bunch back to Germany.. Took a couple of months, but several were repaired and re-certified at about 25% of new costs. They advised that some units were beyond economic repair.
JJ
Old November 10th 20, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 7:36:30 PM UTC-5, Piet Barber wrote:

I have used Keystone Instruments for all manner of work, including my Winter altimeter and transponder checks. Great to work with, great service and the prices to me were quite good.
Old November 10th 20, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 9:38:42 AM UTC-5, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 7:36:30 PM UTC-5, Piet Barber wrote:

I have used Keystone Instruments for all manner of work, including my Winter altimeter and transponder checks. Great to work with, great service and the prices to me were quite good.

Ditto
UH