How is an "Aircraft Checkout" Logged in a Logbook?

Old January 27th 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default How is an "Aircraft Checkout" Logged in a Logbook?

How is an "Aircraft Checkout" Logged in a Logbook? Is it considered
"flight training"? Just trying to make sure I get all the right
columns filled in my logbook for it. Thanks in advance! By the way,
I was the one who was getting "checked out" (by an FBO).
Old January 27th 09, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 26, 4:30*pm, "
wrote:
How is an "Aircraft Checkout" Logged in a Logbook? *Is it considered
"flight training"? *Just trying to make sure I get all the right
columns filled in my logbook for it. *Thanks in advance! *By the way,
I was the one who was getting "checked out" (by an FBO).

When I do insurance checkouts for pilots the insurance co usually asks
for specific wording. For an FBO checkout you can just say "checkout".
You can log instruction for both instruction and evaluation. Its
pretty difficult for one to happen without the other. Most would agree
that they learned more on their checkride than flying solo, despite
the fact that the FAA says you can't instruct during a checkride.

-Robert
Old January 27th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Your "checkout" at the FBO should have been by a qualified CFI.
He could have signed your logbook to authenticate the check out for
insurance purposes as Dual Given, so you can log Dual Received and PIC.
BT

Old January 27th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 26, 4:30*pm, "
wrote:
How is an "Aircraft Checkout" Logged in a Logbook? *Is it considered
"flight training"? *Just trying to make sure I get all the right
columns filled in my logbook for it. *Thanks in advance! *By the way,
I was the one who was getting "checked out" (by an FBO).

BTW: I should add that some small FBOs don't have CFIs just sitting
around so you will occasionally check out with the FBO owner (who is
not a CFI). Its just logged as straight PIC.

-Robert
Old January 28th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:

BTW: I should add that some small FBOs don't have CFIs just sitting
around so you will occasionally check out with the FBO owner (who is
not a CFI). Its just logged as straight PIC.

Depending on the need for the checkout, that might work.

I've had insurance companies specify "a CFI with XX+ hours in a XX-XX
type aircraft". In those cases, I just logged them as "dual given" with
the CFI(I)'s number.