A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Results from 12th National Soaring Contest in Elmira - 1941

Old October 13th 12, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Results from 12th National Soaring Contest in Elmira - 1941

Anybody have a scoresheet ... and/or participant list ... with addresses would be ideal.

Thanks,

KK
Old October 13th 12, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 7:02:16 AM UTC-4, KiloKilo wrote:
Anybody have a scoresheet ... and/or participant list ... with addresses would be ideal.

Thanks,

KK

This may help:
http://www.pgcsoaring.org/07_history.html

JP
Old October 13th 12, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]
external usenet poster

JP,

Yes, thanks ... I am a PGC member (and the PGC site webmaster) and this club history article by Lew Hull actually spurred my request to ras. According to Lew Hull(a PGC founding father)our club was founded by glider pilots keenly involved/interested in XC and racing. These gentlemen had a vision and purchased the wondeful site we all enjoy today. I just wanted to see who was participating in the '41 contest and perhaps fill in more details ... and highlight PGC's XC/Racing heritage.

KK
Old October 13th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:30:37 AM UTC-6, KiloKilo wrote:
JP,

Yes, thanks ... I am a PGC member (and the PGC site webmaster) and this club history article by Lew Hull actually spurred my request to ras. According to Lew Hull(a PGC founding father)our club was founded by glider pilots keenly involved/interested in XC and racing. These gentlemen had a vision and purchased the wondeful site we all enjoy today. I just wanted to see who was participating in the '41 contest and perhaps fill in more details .... and highlight PGC's XC/Racing heritage.

KK

Ken,

There is an article in the 1941 Soaring archives, but no score sheet.

Frank Whiteley
Old October 13th 12, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:54:58 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:

JP,

Yes, thanks ... I am a PGC member (and the PGC site webmaster) and this club history article by Lew Hull actually spurred my request to ras. According to Lew Hull(a PGC founding father)our club was founded by glider pilots keenly involved/interested in XC and racing. These gentlemen had a vision and purchased the wondeful site we all enjoy today. I just wanted to see who was participating in the '41 contest and perhaps fill in more details .... and highlight PGC's XC/Racing heritage.

KK

Ken,

Frank Whiteley

Thanks, Frank ... I'm afraid the details may be lost to history ... KK

KK
Old October 15th 12, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:28:56 PM UTC-5, KiloKilo wrote:

JP,

Yes, thanks ... I am a PGC member (and the PGC site webmaster) and this club history article by Lew Hull actually spurred my request to ras. According to Lew Hull(a PGC founding father)our club was founded by glider pilots keenly involved/interested in XC and racing. These gentlemen had a vision and purchased the wondeful site we all enjoy today. I just wanted to see who was participating in the '41 contest and perhaps fill in more details ... and highlight PGC's XC/Racing heritage.

KK

Ken,

Frank Whiteley

KK

the score sheet is on the back page of the July/August 1941 Soaring. Johnny Robinson won with 2130 points.

Stan Smith got 5th, his son Peter now runs the National Soaring Museum and posts here occasionally, maybe he has some info from the contest.
Old October 15th 12, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:16:24 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:

JP,

KK

Ken,

Frank Whiteley

KK

the score sheet is on the back page of the July/August 1941 Soaring. Johnny Robinson won with 2130 points.

Stan Smith got 5th, his son Peter now runs the National Soaring Museum and posts here occasionally, maybe he has some info from the contest.

Great catch Tony. That didn't show up in the search. Reading cover to cover is the only way, eh?

Frank
Old October 15th 12, 11:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]
external usenet poster

Wonderful to know it is available ... I don't have access to issues that far back ... if someone could scan and send a copy, I would greatly appreciate it. We can then add to the PGC history page.

Ken Kochanski
PGC Webmaster

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:16:24 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

JP,

KK

Ken,

Frank Whiteley

KK

Old October 15th 12, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 15, 2012 5:14:36 AM UTC-5, KiloKilo wrote:
Wonderful to know it is available ... I don't have access to issues that far back ... if someone could scan and send a copy, I would greatly appreciate it. We can then add to the PGC history page.

Ken Kochanski

PGC Webmaster

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:16:24 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

JP,

KK

Ken,

Old October 15th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]
external usenet poster

Tony, thanks ... wonderful resource ... KK

if you are an SSA member you have access. Soaring Magazine on the left side of www.ssa.org, then Archive. you can download the PDF.

Frank - yes, the search is good but i've learned it doesn't catch everything. The articles are fun to read anyway. A couple of prizes at the 12th Nationals were several gallons of gas. Wouldn't that be nice! Also some altimeters given for altitude records of the meet and many other cash & prizes.