Piper Pawnee flying characteristics

Old March 18th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike A

Default Piper Pawnee flying characteristics

HelloIn a couple of weeks I hope to transition from a 180 HP Super Cub to our clubs only Piper Pawnee. Would just like a heads up from you guys on a couple of things.Are there specific things to look for?How does she handle?Any tips on flying her?How about strong crosswinds?Like I said just looking for a heads up...Thank youMA

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

Old March 18th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 17, 5:33 pm, Mike A wrote:
Sorry for the mess in the first message, this should look better:

In a couple of weeks I hope to transition from a 180 HP Super Cub to our clubs only Piper Pawnee. Would just like a heads up from you guys on a couple of things.

I had been towing in 180 Super Cubs and then took a long layoff from
towing. When I checked out in a 235 Pawnee I found it easy enough to
fly. Get used to the view over the long nose before you takeoff.
Remember that's your landing attitude. The nose seems very low in
flight so you have to get used to that too. I found the brakes very
sensitive on the last one I flew so be sure to keep off them. Not
sure about the relative ability of the Super Cub and the Pawnee for
cross wind as I don't have a lot of time in Pawnees. The only time I
was faced with strong cross winds was during a contest launch and a
landing mistake would have taken out the gliders at the back of the
grid. After a couple of landings that were a bit busier than I was
comfortable with I chose to land on a runway more into the wind.
Takeoff with strong cross wind was no problem.

Andy

Old March 18th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

That is our normal transition..tail wheel checkouts in a Super Cub or
Scout..
and then on to the Pawnee. We have some ground taxi exercises.. some partial
power just to get the tail up and down on a 3500ft pave runway.. make two to
three runs... that is your "wheel landing" attitude picture..

Be careful on the partial power exercises.. to much power and you will be
flying... we tell our pilots.. if that happens.. go.. put in the rest of the
power and go.. we don't want them panicking trying to land again on the
remaining runway and end up in a heap when the pavement ends.

The insurance we have requires 10 solo flights before towing.. we have them
do the last 3 flights at limited power to simulate a climb out with a glider
on tow, 2200rpm works great on our 250HP Pawnee, at full power and 60KIAS we
get 1000fpm rate of climb with no tow. 2200rpm will get the "towing
attitude" and about 500fpm at 60KIAS.

Nose on the horizon, full power climb at 60KIAS with a two seat glider.

On the handling.. it's a TRUCK, maybe not the same response as the Cub, the
rudder is very effective.
But we love it.. it's a great work horse.. build slowly up to the cross wind
landings. I'll fly in winds now that I would not have 3 years ago. It's a
proficiency thing.. do not be afraid to say... "I'm not ready for that
wind".

Where are you?

BT

Old March 18th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

I have plenty of time in Pawnee 150 and 235 version, if you can fly a super
cub you'll have no problem with the Pawnee....actually, IMHO easier to fly
than a cub.....Pawnee is a real teddy BEAR....lots of power (don't know the
180 version personally) plenty of drag and weight so it also comes down and
"arrives" lands without floating.....180 would have come from the 150HP
version so it is overall smaller and lighter than the more typical 235 HP
version and even nicer to fly...shorter hood so not as "unusual" to look
over the nose.....just make sure you fly it all the way down...it won't
float like a cub...but you'll find it very nice to fly, sort of like your
grandpa's farm tractor!
tim

Old March 18th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fred

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website atwww.wingsandwheels.com

"Mike A" wrote in message

HelloIn a couple of weeks I hope to transition from a 180 HP Super Cub to
our clubs only Piper Pawnee. Would just like a heads up from you guys on a
couple of things.Are there specific things to look for?How does she
handle?Any tips on flying her?How about strong crosswinds?Like I said just
looking for a heads up...Thank youMA

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
Make My Way your home on the Web -http://www.myway.com- Hide quoted text -

You are gonna love it. Make sure you keep enough gas in it! A review
of NTSB reports of Pawnee accidents including crop dusters, most ran
out of gas! Be sure to check for water after refueling.
We tow at an ATTITUDE that gives a nominal 65 knots indicated. We
climb with two place glass ships at about 600 frpm.Lift of as soon as
possible, stay in ground effect until you reach towing speed. Dont
start climbing until you do! You will have more altitude at the end of
the runway.
I have seen a pawnee go on its nose taxing downwind with the elevator
UP.(NO NO)
We tow at 3400 msl and often as high as 9,000. Our density altitude is
often higher. We do lean the engine for best power.
With a dead engine and prop windmilling, pick a landing place very
close to a one to one glide angle and dont put it into a landing
attitude until you are very near the surface. It slows down faster
than you can immagine. A stall at 40 ft will wreck the plane.
Learn to slip it steeply. It will not do anything funny and will
recover quickly. We maintain oil at about 9 quarts.
Cross-winds are not a problem, but don't take off unless you are
certain you can handle wind shear. Don't be afraid of turbulence, the
Pawnee can take anything at speeds under the maneuvering limit. God
bless you for being a tow pilot. Fred Robinson

1972 Piper Pawnee PA25-235 "C" restoration project harald stein Owning 2 January 19th 07 11:33 AM
1972 Piper Pawnee PA25-235 "C" restoration project harald stein Piloting 0 January 19th 07 09:56 AM
WTB towhook release for Piper Pawnee [email protected] Soaring 2 November 22nd 06 03:29 PM
Piper Pawnee Parts Rod Pool Soaring 3 February 3rd 04 11:12 PM
Sonerai II Flying Characteristics JR Home Built 4 September 16th 03 10:08 AM