Engine Replacement Labor costs....

Old November 17th 03, 09:05 PM

Default Engine Replacement Labor costs....

Looking at something like a 182,

What does it cost to have the A+P Remove and replace the engine/prop?

It's easy to find overhaul costs in Trade a plane etc...., but how much more
does the shop labor add? (Assuming that not much else is wrong with the aircraft?)

Paul

Old November 17th 03, 09:20 PM
Ron Natalie

wrote in message ...
Looking at something like a 182,

What does it cost to have the A+P Remove and replace the engine/prop?

It's easy to find overhaul costs in Trade a plane etc...., but how much more
does the shop labor add? (Assuming that not much else is wrong with the aircraft?)

Well, if you are going to fly the plane to the overhaul shop, there isn't much additional.
If you are going to pull the engine and ship it out, you are going to have to pay to have
it crated and then there are the shipping charges. It cost me a few hundred dollars to
have my engine pulled and shipped out. I don't have the reinstall charges because I
totally replaced the engine (mount, cowling, firewall, etc...).

Old November 18th 03, 12:51 AM
mikem

my AI and I had the engine/prop out of my 182
in 30min flat.

My AI and put it back in too. Putting it back in took a lot
longer, but that included new motor mounts, overhauled exhaust system,
new hoses,overhauled alternator, overhauled engine mount, new control
cables, new wiring, new prop and governor, new baffels, new scat tubing,
engine analyzer probes, etc, etc, etc...

As long as its apart, you might as well do it all

Total cost of Millenium OH, new Prop, and misc in 2000 was ~$25K, not
including labor.

MikeM
Skylane '1MM
Pacer '00Z

Old November 18th 03, 06:18 PM
Montblack

("mikem" wrote)
Total cost of Millenium OH, new Prop, and misc in 2000 was ~$25K, not
including labor.

Um ...(checking the thread subject) ...what were the labor costs? g

--
Montblack

Old November 19th 03, 04:41 AM
A Lieberman

Ben Haas wrote:

Thats a full 5 day week putting in 8 hours a day,,, Just to R&R a
motor and prop. If it takes an A&P that long I would be lookin for a
new honest mechanic...
Ben Haas

I just went through a major overhaul and while the engine was pulled,
had my annual done on my Sundowner.

It was 2000 dollars for labor for both engine and annual to be
completed. (50.00 an hour).

The engine was $13,500 (Lycoming AK4 180 hp).

Allen