LX NAV offers new V7 Vario

Old October 19th 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default LX NAV offers new V7 Vario

It is my great pleasure to announce a new product by LXNAV, V7.

V7 is a standalone digital speed-to-fly variometer and final glide
calculator with GPS input and PDA/PNA input/output. It is a great
companion to the Ultimate Le, Oudie, PDA or PNA.

See details later today at:

www.craggyaero.com

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 26th 11, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

On Oct 19, 6:31*pm, Richard wrote:
It is my great pleasure to announce a new product by LXNAV, V7.

V7 is a standalone digital speed-to-fly variometer and final glide
calculator with GPS input and PDA/PNA input/output. It is a great
companion to the Ultimate Le, Oudie, PDA or PNA.

See details later today at:

www.craggyaero.com

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

If the V7 is connected to a simple GPS (e.g. a Nano) and an Oudie
will the V7 mix and pass through air data from itself with the NMEA
data stream from the GPS?

Would ConnectMe in the Oudie be able to download datalogger traces
from the Nano through the V7 without altering the connections.

If it does both of the above it is effectively an up to date 302
replacement.

John Galloway
Old October 26th 11, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

I sell the LXNAV V7 also. It is a very, very nice variometer. It will work
fantastically with a Nano and Oudie. I have not received my first batch
yet, so I can't give you a first-hand review yet. But I should receive them
very soon. I have played with the very similar V5 variometer a lot.

Yes. The V7 will pass GPS (and FLARM) data through the V7 to any PDA.

Yes. The V7 will add air data (airspeed, variometer, wind, etc.) and send
it to the PDA.

Yes. You can send a task declaration from an Oudie through the V7 to the
Nano.

However, it is not possible to download a flight log from a Nano over the
serial port because the Nano doesn't support that functionality. If it did,
you could do it through the V7. The idea is to take the Nano home. I don't
know whether it will support flight log downloads over the serial port in
the future. That would be a nice feature for customers that want to leave
the Nano in the glider. Theoretically, you could take the microSD card out
of the Nano and take it home for flight log transfers. But the Nano manual
strongly recommends leaving the microSD card in the Nano permanently.

I have a preliminary version of the V7 manual which I have read from cover
to cover. If it is not up on their web site yet, it will be soon.

I'll finally get the V7 onto my web site today.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old October 26th 11, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

On 10/26/2011 9:31 AM, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi John,

I sell the LXNAV V7 also. It is a very, very nice variometer. It will
work fantastically with a Nano and Oudie. I have not received my first
batch yet, so I can't give you a first-hand review yet. But I should
receive them very soon. I have played with the very similar V5
variometer a lot.

Yes. The V7 will pass GPS (and FLARM) data through the V7 to any PDA.

Yes. The V7 will add air data (airspeed, variometer, wind, etc.) and
send it to the PDA.

Does the V5 also do this? If so, what is the difference between the V5
and the V7?

Old October 26th 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Oct 26, 9:35*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 10/26/2011 9:31 AM, Paul Remde wrote:

Hi John,

I sell the LXNAV V7 also. It is a very, very nice variometer. It will
work fantastically with a Nano and Oudie. I have not received my first
batch yet, so I can't give you a first-hand review yet. But I should
receive them very soon. I have played with the very similar V5
variometer a lot.

Yes. The V7 will pass GPS (and FLARM) data through the V7 to any PDA.

Yes. The V7 will add air data (airspeed, variometer, wind, etc.) and
send it to the PDA.

Does the V5 also do this? *If so, what is the difference between the V5
and the V7?

Greg,

The V5 is a vario Module for use with only the LX8000, LX8080 and the
LX9000.
The V7 is a standalone Vario that can be used with other GPS inputs
and provides output to many displays, Ultimate Le, Oudie etc.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 26th 11, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Oct 26, 2:26*pm, Richard wrote:
[...]

What functionality would the vario add to an existing Oudie/Nano
system?
Old October 26th 11, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Oct 26, 12:50*pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

system?- Hide quoted text -

Tony,

Direct Winds based on the TAS instead of the winds based on the
circling drift in a thermal.

The SeeYou software will be able to customize the vario. Nav boxes
can also be displayed on the Oudie to change the +/- Volume and +/-
Mc settings.

Thanks ,

Richard,
Old October 26th 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tony,

In addition to what Richard stated, adding the V7 to the Nano and Oudie
would also send airspeed and vario data to the Oudie. The vario data would
make the Thermal Assistant much more useful than it is without the V7.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old October 26th 11, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari

Thanks for the info, looks like a pretty good option. Is there any
functionality that you would be missing if you pair it with other
loggers vs. a Nano? For example if using it with a Colibri, can the
Oudie download flights or set the task or waypoints?

Cheers,
Morteza
Old October 26th 11, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

"Richard" wrote in message

On Oct 26, 12:50 pm, Tony wrote:

[...]

gotcha, thanks guys. It seems that my Oudie/Nano combo offers weird
wind calculations more often than not. Perhaps I don't fly very round
circles Of course with a poor wind calculation the final glide and
other calculations on the Oudie become poor as well. It appears that
with the pitot and static inputs on the V7 I could also gain
electronic TE compensation which would be nice. i would have to add an
external speaker since my current LX16 audio vario has a built in
speaker. I'm not sure the additional features are worth $1500 but
maybe I don't know what I'm missing.