LX NAV offers new V7 Vario

Old October 30th 11, 01:00 PM
Eurofighter Eurofighter is offline
Junior Member

The LX1600/1606 also has the knob/push button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Remde View Post
Hi,

If I remember correctly, the LX1600 did not have any control knobs or other
user-interface - therefore it was necessary to configure it and change the
MacCready on it with a PDA.

Since the LXNAV V7 has a knob / push button user-interface that can do all
setup and in-flight changes, there is no need for SeeYou to have a special
setup menu for it.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
[/i][/color]
Old October 30th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default LX NAV offers new V7 Vario

--
Eurofighter- Hide quoted text -

EF

I recieved a response from LXNAV about the SeeYou Mobile Pages.

It will be same pages as for 1600.
However all settings can also be done on V7 itself.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old November 2nd 11, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

EF,

Just received the answer about the V7 & SeeYou Mobile.

You have to select LX 1600 as your device in Menu Settings Hardware Device until we fix this in the new version so that this becomes automatic.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 2nd 11, 08:34 PM
Eurofighter Eurofighter is offline
Junior Member

Thank you!
Old September 10th 13, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:31:08 AM UTC+10, Richard wrote:
It is my great pleasure to announce a new product by LXNAV, V7. V7 is a standalone digital speed-to-fly variometer and final glide calculator with GPS input and PDA/PNA input/output. It is a great companion to the Ultimate Le, Oudie, PDA or PNA. See details later today at: www.craggyaero.com Richard www.craggyaero.com

I am considering a Nano - V7 - PNA (Nexus 7 tablet with XC soar) with a Mini oz flarm set up . Could I send all flarm data to the tablet using a bluetooth dongle on the back of the V7? If so, what exactly would appear on my tablet screen? Would I see registration and climb rates for other aircraft?

Mark
Old September 10th 13, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Mark,

The V7 will pass data from the GPS source through to XC Soar.

You said you would connect a Nano to the V7, but to get the flarm info. you either need an IOIO board that will take the signals from both the V7 and flarm into the tablet, or mpre simply use the flarm as the GPS source for the V7.

This will allow the flarm info to be passed through the V7 to XC Soar via the V7 bluetooth module.

Dave Springford
Old September 10th 13, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:02:25 PM UTC+10, Dave Springford wrote:
Mark, The V7 will pass data from the GPS source through to XC Soar. You said you would connect a Nano to the V7, but to get the flarm info. you either need an IOIO board that will take the signals from both the V7 and flarm into the tablet, or mpre simply use the flarm as the GPS source for the V7.. This will allow the flarm info to be passed through the V7 to XC Soar via the V7 bluetooth module. Dave Springford

Dave,
OK, thanks for that and that sounds like what I want to do, but what will appear on the tablet (xcsoar)? A flarm radar with registration and climb rates? Or just targets. I suppose it doesn't really matter, but it would be nice to see those two things!
Mark
Old September 10th 13, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Mark, I have an IOIO board mixing an LX7007 Pro IGC and PowerFLARM Core, to a Dell Streak running XC Soar 6.5.

The answer to your questions, in my case - though I'm wired to the Android device not bluetoothing (once the connection is made, really to the user there are no differences) - a

1. On the map page - you see the FLARM targets and, IF you have installed the FLARMnet database for XC Soar (easy), you also see the contest ID (or whatever the FLARMnet owner has decided to put in - perhaps, registration). Page 104 of the 6.6.5 manual shows a picture.

2. To get more detail, when the FLARM radar screen appears (lower right corner) over top of the screen (so you may lose info boxes depending on your screen set-up), you tap it. It takes over the whole screen; you then get
Top left : If available the FLARM ID of the selected target.
Top right : Vario of the target, derived from the consecutive altitude
messages.
Bottom left : The distance to the target.
Bottom right : The relative height of the target, for the selected target.

You tap again to get rid of it and go back to your navigation screens. Pages 105-108 talk about and show pictures of this (manual at http://www.xcsoar..org/discover/manual.html).

I don't think the PCAS/ADS-B targets are passed from PowerFLARM; I don't know if miniOZ flarm does transponders/ADS-B.

For me, having the flarm take over the whole display is bothersome; even the small flarm radar screen is a problem, overlapping info boxes whenever traffic is displayed (where I fly, airspace is usually nearby). I will probably turn off the flarm radar screens, and just keep the map display of flarm targets. I have an external rectangular Butterfly display that displays flarm targets, climb rates on selected targets; a glance at that screen gets me the info I want, and keeps my head out of the cockpit for the large number of gliders around me that aren't flarm equipped. If you don't have space for a small display, the android display likely will meet your needs; if not, purpose-built flarm displays are fairly cheap.

Overall, for me it works very well; if I lose my Butterfly display in flight, I have a back-up, and get situational awareness of traffic around me on the XC Soar map. You do have to have a friend or vendor make an IOIO box if you are a techno-bozo like me (thanks again Luke). Dave indicates that the dongle will pass the flarm data by bluetooth. A neat solution.

So, in answer to your questions:
A flarm radar with registration and climb rates? Or just targets.

The answers a Yes (qualified, when you go to the purpose flarm screen), and yes (always, with contest numbers).

There has been discussion on why more tactical data isn't displayed on the main screen; the developers feel that more data would clutter the screen, and that the purpose of the flarm - anti-collision warning - is achieved by the current implementation, and it keeps your head out of the cockpit.

Hope this helps.

Old September 10th 13, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:31:08 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:
It is my great pleasure to announce a new product by LXNAV, V7. V7 is a standalone digital speed-to-fly variometer and final glide calculator with GPS input and PDA/PNA input/output. It is a great companion to the Ultimate Le, Oudie, PDA or PNA. See details later today at: www.craggyaero.com Richard www.craggyaero.com

Does the V7 require a proprietary bluetooth dongle or can one purchase a generic module? Are there any specs to consider, if commercial dongles are a player?

Mike
Old September 10th 13, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

First, thanks Dan for the detailed description for the XC Soar part. I don't use XC Soar, so I couldn't help with that.

As for the Bluetooth adapter, I'm not sure if a generic unit would work. The LX Nav adapter has an RJ connector that plugs directly to the PDA port on the back of the V7 and is wired correctly. I suppose if someone knew what they were doing, they could probably make one. But, the LX Nav adapter is only 75 Euro compared to hours of tinkering.