LXNav V7 vs Butterfly vario?

Old January 4th 13, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Davison[_2_]

Default LXNav V7 vs Butterfly vario?

Anyone got any in flight experience of the LX Nav V7 or the
Butterfly vario? I love the features of the Butterfly but looking at
YouTube clips it seems to be way too sensitive??

Any alternatives?

Thanks

Chris

Old January 4th 13, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

On Jan 4, 11:32*am, Chris Davison wrote:
Anyone got any in flight experience of the LX Nav V7 or the
Butterfly vario? *I love the features of the Butterfly but looking at
YouTube clips it seems to be way too sensitive??

Any alternatives?

Thanks

Chris

Clear Nav Vario. I haven't flown with LX or butterfly, but the CN is
just a little bit better than the 302 and SN10, and those were great.

John Cochrane
Old January 4th 13, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Clear Nav, LX Nav, Butterfly, Vega varios...

Is there an open protocol that allows these varios to talk to any and all Soaring_Software/PDA that implements interoperability with them?

Or does your choice of vario also commit you to a brand of Soaring_Software/PDA?

I realize that you don't necessarily need your Vario to inter-operate with you PDA, but isn't that half the point of spending $2-3000 on a new vario?

Old January 4th 13, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, January 4, 2013 9:32:33 AM UTC-8, Chris Davison wrote:
Anyone got any in flight experience of the LX Nav V7 or the Butterfly vario? I love the features of the Butterfly but looking at YouTube clips it seems to be way too sensitive?? Any alternatives? Thanks Chris

Chris,

I have flown with both the LX Navigation LX1606, LXNAV V7 and the Butterfly Vario. Probably about 30 hours.

This YouTube shows an LX1606 and the Butterfly Vario. Hard to see the LX1606 in the YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0IVkHUnWU

The ButterFly Vario is the only display I have ever seen that is as good as my Ultimate Le in the sun.

I don't have a YouTube vs the V7.

I also found the SC a little sensitive on the Butterfly and emailed them about the issue last fall. They agreed and the latest Firmware of the Butterfly added a compensation menu item for the SC error filter. So you can adjust to what you desire. The compensation values in all the instruments should be set to smooth the performance of the vario and in my opinion don't really correspond to seconds.

I tuned the Butterfly Varo using compensation values to exactly match the LX1606 and V7. The V7 and Butterfly have more features than the LX1606. I have not had a chance to test the Butterfly with the latest firmware and the SC compensation, but I am confident it will work well. The V7 and Butterfly also have flarm screens.

All three varios in my opinion are an great improvement over CAI 302 technology.

They also allow PowerFlarm integration with out a multiplexer and operate at much higher baud rates that the 302.

I have all in stock.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com.
Old January 4th 13, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, January 4, 2013 10:17:05 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
Clear Nav, LX Nav, Butterfly, Vega varios... Is there an open protocol that allows these varios to talk to any and all Soaring_Software/PDA that implements interoperability with them? Or does your choice of vario also commit you to a brand of Soaring_Software/PDA? I realize that you don't necessarily need your Vario to inter-operate with you PDA, but isn't that half the point of spending $2-3000 on a new vario?

The LXNAV V7, LX1606, and Butterfly Vario with send air data to just about any PDA, PNA software.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old January 4th 13, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Love my V7!
Old January 5th 13, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Richard

The V7 is on my spring wish list. Do you have cables appropriate for connections to Mio 400 running LK8000 and EW Micro Recorder flight logger?

Lane
XF
Old January 5th 13, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, January 4, 2013 5:02:54 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Richard The V7 is on my spring wish list. Do you have cables appropriate for connections to Mio 400 running LK8000 and EW Micro Recorder flight logger? Lane XF

Lane,

I think the Mio is more trouble that it is worth as far a GPS connection.

I would recommend the Oudie Lite that will run the LK8000 Software.

I have direct cables from the V7 to the Oudie, this cable may work or let the smoke out of the Mio.

No problem with the EW Micro the V7 will provide 12V, RX, TX, GND and I can make a cable.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old January 5th 13, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks

I love my mio and have my students using it. $50 setup that seems to work fine. I'll try to download the diagrams and see if pinout is same as oudie.

Lane
Old January 5th 13, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bastoune

On Friday, January 4, 2013 7:59:52 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Thanks I love my mio and have my students using it. $50 setup that seems to work fine. I'll try to download the diagrams and see if pinout is same as oudie. Lane

Lane,

I have a V7 and I am extremely happy with it. I ran it connected to a MIO400 this summer and it worked flawlessly. I can't remember exactly what was my cable configuration but it was pretty easy with the pin out provided in the V7 Manual. I switched to a V2 PNA this fall and the cable that was provided with the V7 (normally designed to work with the Oudie) worked like a charm, plug and play.