Motorgliders on OLC?

Old May 22nd 13, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Motorgliders on OLC?

Ramy, you may find the motorglider isn't as much of a saving mechanism as you might think. You fly such long distances, that you are actually beyond the range of the motorglider getting you back. True it can be used to help you launch the next day assuming you hit an airport that can support the launch. You would be surprised how many don't work so you have to plan well..

Darren
Old May 22nd 13, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would never make any derogatory remarks about motorgliders… or motorglider pilots. Someday I may be so old that I no longer enjoy the intense thrill, excitement and adventure of flying a pure sailplane cross-country.
Mike Koerner
Old May 22nd 13, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:29:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I would never make any derogatory remarks about motorgliders… or motorglider pilots. Someday I may be so old that I no longer enjoy the intense thrill, excitement and adventure of flying a pure sailplane cross-country.

Mike Koerner

Same here. No disrespect whatsoever. On the contrary, some of my best buddies are flying motorgliders and are also better pilots, as they fly further AND rarely use the engine to make it back. you know who you are I am hoping someday to switch to a motorglider myself. But when I'll do, I will push the envelope further than I do now, thanks to he extra security. And yes, I certainly do fly in the high desert of the west. And yet, I can only recall one time in the last 10 years that a motorglider buddy of mine needed a ground retrieve (which I provided btw), while I cant count how many times myself or my non motorglider buddies needed ground retrieve. So I don't buy this "motorglider does not get you very far" claim. Not even in the high desert. True, it wouldn't get me the whole way back from where I go sometimes, but one rarely lands out so far from home anyway, just doesn't always make it all the way home. And none of my cross country buddies start their engine at 1500 feet AGL, unless it is obviously hopeless. So there is obvious pros and cons. You give up some of the intense thrill and adventure of flying pure sailplane cross country, for the convenient and less stress of flying even further or to places you otherwise wouldn't reach with a pure sailplane. And last, the main reason why my motorglider buddies still need to do ground retrieves every now and then, is to retrieve me...

Ramy
Old May 22nd 13, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:14:27 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
[...]

Most of the places you land in the western high desert are air retrievable. A lifetime of air retrieves costs less than the motor in a motorglider. (Just the interest earned on the money for an engine pays for 5 or more longish air retrieves each season). An air retrieve is nearly as easy and convenient as a motorglider retrieve. Looked at in this economic light, there is little convenience advantage in a motorglider for OLC flying in the high western desert. Those who use the motorglider to fly too low over unlandable terrain are simply "accidents" waiting to happen. A pure glider can do this too, the motorglider will only slightly delay the inevitable.

And I'll admit to being one of the conservative motorglider pilots that flies sometimes with Ramy. I start my engine at 2000 ft over a nice runway. In the high western desert near the end of the day, when you are 2000 ft over a nice runway, you are done for the day 9 times out of 10 anyway.
Old May 22nd 13, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:29:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I would never make any derogatory remarks about motorgliders… or motorglider pilots. Someday I may be so old that I no longer enjoy the intense thrill, excitement and adventure of flying a pure sailplane cross-country.

Mike Koerner

"pure sailplane"??

Are you implying a self-launch glider is somehow impure? Curious that . . . considering our brethren the soaring birds could hardly survive if lacking the ability to self-launch. And no, I'm not suggesting that "pure gliders" are really cripples. Well, okay, maybe I am :c)

bumper
Old May 23rd 13, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Personally, I feel the ultimate, most unteathered feeling, is pure glider with a crew with good communications/spot etc. Nothing else compares to that.
Old May 23rd 13, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:26:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Personally, I feel the ultimate, most unteathered feeling, is pure glider with a crew with good communications/spot etc. Nothing else compares to that.

A crew is a far stronger and more unwieldy tether than an aux motor in the back. More trouble, more maintenance, and often more costly.
Old May 23rd 13, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:46:36 AM UTC+2, jfitch wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:26:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Personally, I feel the ultimate, most unteathered feeling, is pure glider with a crew with good communications/spot etc. Nothing else compares to that.

A crew is a far stronger and more unwieldy tether than an aux motor in the back. More trouble, more maintenance, and often more costly.

Yeah, but that aux motor won't cook you dinner or keep you warm at night...

Kirk
66
Old May 23rd 13, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:32:06 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
On Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:46:36 AM UTC+2, jfitch wrote:

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:26:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Personally, I feel the ultimate, most unteathered feeling, is pure glider with a crew with good communications/spot etc. Nothing else compares to that.

A crew is a far stronger and more unwieldy tether than an aux motor in the back. More trouble, more maintenance, and often more costly.

Yeah, but that aux motor won't cook you dinner or keep you warm at night...

Kirk

66

Nor take you for 50% of your net worth....
Old May 23rd 13, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:32:06 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:

Yeah, but that aux motor won't cook you dinner or keep you warm at night...

Kirk

66

In thankfully rare occasions, it has been known to cook your goose . . .

bumper

3 motorgliders go to Detroit Brad Soaring 0 December 7th 04 03:14 AM
Motorgliders and TE Probes Paul Remde Soaring 18 November 29th 04 08:59 PM
Motorgliders (long) M B Soaring 1 September 23rd 03 09:15 PM
Gliders and motorgliders Mike Borgelt Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 10:57 PM
Motorgliders and gliders in US... M B Soaring 1 September 22nd 03 10:33 PM