Re-curving mylar on a glider

Old October 18th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Re-curving mylar on a glider

Unless you've ot a *really* long oven, that leaves you with
a lot of small pieces, no ? Its a lot nicer (and easier to apply
with proper technique) to have longer strips, no ?
Best Regards, Dave

KM wrote:
Dave,
Here is what I do.I buy the 7 mil sheets (I figure it provides less
friction than the 10 mil) and roll it up inside of a peice of carpet
roll tube.Then I bake it at about 160 in the oven for 30 minutes.Then
cut it into strips and use scotch 665 double sided tape to adhear it to
the wings and 3M 850 mylar tape for the safety strip.I can do top and
bottom of my flaps ailerons and tail a couple times over for about 50
bucks.I replace it every 3 to 5 years and I have never had a
problem.This does seem a little less entertaning than your buddys
method, but it works fine.
K Urban

Old October 18th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KM

wrote:
Unless you've ot a *really* long oven, that leaves you with
a lot of small pieces, no ?

Dave, you are correct, the pieces are just over two feet long.I use a
peice of the 850 mylar tape at every joint.The main motivation for
doing this is to get a thinner seal.I use 7 mil sheets (I have heard
some guys go a little thinner), and all of the commecial seals that I
have found are 10 mil or bigger.I bought my ship from a guy who was
good freinds with Wil Shumman (SP?), and this is where the idea
originated.Wil Shumman did alot of work on airflow and wing profiles
and such, and he felt thinner would be better.Now I am not an
aerodymamical engineer, so maybe I am just perpetuating folklore, but
these seals work pretty good for me and they seem to provide a little
less control friction.

Its a lot nicer (and easier to apply
with proper technique) to have longer strips, no ?

No argument on the easier part . Actually, I use a homeade jig to cut
the strips (Then carefully shave the edges smooth) and a template to
install each strip and it comes out looking pretty clean.Usually guys
have to look very close to see that there are a bunch of peices of
mylar, and not one continual strip.A little practice doesnt hurt.I fly
an ASW20 in some pretty good desert conditions, so I am at high speeds
quite often, and I have never had a problem.

Best Regards, Dave

Best Regards, K Urban

Glider transponder on? Sam Spade Instrument Flight Rules 5 September 15th 06 05:45 AM
Aerodynamics of carrying water Gene Whitt Soaring 54 October 19th 05 07:24 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM