SeeYou Single Person License

Old May 9th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Default SeeYou Single Person License

I was going to buy a copy of SeeYou from a friend since he uses Strepla for
his flight reviews. He contacted SeeYou, and they told him that the license
was specific to him only. My understanding of the US Uniform Commercial
Code does not allow for single user restraints down to a specific user, it
only allows for constrains as to the quantity of users. For the legal types
out there, what is the legality of designating a license to a specific
person?

Old May 9th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Does it matter? (What are you going to do, sue Naviter?!) Bend over,
grab your ankles and buy a new license. It's a wonderful product and
worth every penny.

2NO

Old May 9th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Why should I buy a new license when I can buy the license from a friend at a
reduced cost?

oups.com...

Old May 9th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

On 9 May, 19:12, "Jim Vincent" wrote:
Why should I buy a new license when I can buy the license from a friend at a
reduced cost?

"Tuno" wrote in message

oups.com...

Does it matter? (What are you going to do, sue Naviter?!) Bend over,
grab your ankles and buy a new license. It's a wonderful product and
worth every penny.

2NO

1 - Because thats what the original purchaser agreed to when he
purchased the product

2 - Because the product is developed and sold under European law. Dont
like it dont buy it!

Why are glider pilots such cheapskates? - they'll spend 100k on a ship
and then baulk at spending 10, 20 or 50 on some minor piece of
equipment.

Old May 9th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Plus, is this legal in the US to have a person specific license? IIRC, it
breaches commerce and merchantability clauses.
"Jim Vincent" wrote in message
Why should I buy a new license when I can buy the license from a friend at
a reduced cost?

oups.com...

Old May 9th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

"Jim Vincent" wrote in message
:

Why should I buy a new license when I can buy the license from a friend at a
reduced cost?

Because he doesn't own the software. He only has a license to use it
and that license has conditions on it.

From SeeYou's point of view, how can they know that your friend is not
still using it after he has "sold" the license to you?

Zero One

USA

Old May 9th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

And that license, if selling in the US, has to comply with US law.

Regarding the license on his version, there is no way of transferring a license. The key might allow 1-2 installs only.

He emailed them.
"01-- Zero One" wrote in message ...
"Jim Vincent" wrote in message :

Why should I buy a new license when I can buy the license from a friend at a
reduced cost?

Because he doesn't own the software. He only has a license to use it and that license has conditions on it.

From SeeYou's point of view, how can they know that your friend is not still using it after he has "sold" the license to you?

Zero One

USA

Old May 9th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Does European law allow for a specified user? That means that if you want
to sell it, you can't. Is that the way you prefer your purchases? Would
you buy a car if you knew you could not sell it?

We're not cheapskates, we're smart.

"nimbusgb" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 9 May, 19:12, "Jim Vincent" wrote:
Why should I buy a new license when I can buy the license from a friend
at a
reduced cost?

oups.com...

Old May 9th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

'Apparently you did not read the licensing agreement
for your Microsoft software; it has the same provisions.
You are supposed to erase it before you sell or give
away your computer. You did not buy the software;
you paid for the privilege of using it; you bought
the disc it came on, but you rented the software encoded
there.

At 19:00 09 May 2007, Jim Vincent wrote:
Does European law allow for a specified user? That
means that if you want
to sell it, you can't. Is that the way you prefer
your purchases? Would
you buy a car if you knew you could not sell it?

We're not cheapskates, we're smart.

'nimbusgb' wrote in message
roups.com...
On 9 May, 19:12, 'Jim Vincent' wrote:
Why should I buy a new license when I can buy the
license from a friend
at a
reduced cost?

oups.com...

Old May 9th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

"Nyal Williams" wrote in message
'Apparently you did not read the licensing agreement
for your Microsoft software; it has the same provisions.
You are supposed to erase it before you sell or give
away your computer. You did not buy the software;
you paid for the privilege of using it; you bought
the disc it came on, but you rented the software encoded
there.

This is fine with me...that is a standard EULA. As part of the sale, he
would remove SeeYou from his PC. Since he did not receive a physical disc
(it is a download), he would give me the license key specific to one user.