would an AOA indicator be helpful in a glider?

Old June 4th 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default would an AOA indicator be helpful in a glider?

On Jun 4, 10:25*am, "
wrote:
This has all been hashed out before (some interesting threads, those!)
but here is my 2 cents:

AOA can be derived from pressure differential, best way would be to
have sensor ports in both wings (enough to be redundant and avoid yaw
problems. *Nose might also work, but it's the wing you care about,
really.

AOA is really only needed at high angles: Stall, Min Sink, L/D max,
recommended approach speed. *Since these speeds vary with weight and
bank angle, AOA is better than airspeed. *So to keep it simple, with
gear up show min sink (for thermalling) tied to flap setting, and
maybe have an index at L/D max (not really used that often). *Gear
down, show desired approach speed, with warning approaching stall.

I think the military chevrons and doughnut indicator would work just
fine: *On-speed (desired AOA) when center g(green) circle is lit.
Slightly slow when circle and lower up (red) chevron are both lit.
Slow when only red up chevron is lit, slightly fast when circle and
upper down (yellow) chevron is lit, and fast when only down chevron is
lit.

Electronics would need input from gear and flaps, if present, of
course.

Easy to see if on top of panel.

Kirk

I think Kirk's idea would work but it is generally accepted that an
accurate AoA probe should be as far forward of the wing and its near-
field flow effects as possible.

I don't think top and bottom nose pressure ports would be sensitive to
yaw since they should both be affected the same and cancel out cross
flow signals. A probe in the fuselage would have the advantage that
there wouldn't be anything to connect when rigging.

Clearly, there's a need for some experimentation.
Old June 4th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_9_]

On Jun 4, 9:25*am, "
wrote:
[...]

I think the tricky part will be calibration. The device needs to be
set up to a fraction of a degree so I suspect you'll have to do some
fancy measuring of a series of flight tests. You'll also need some
data from the factory about lift coefficient versus alpha.

9B
Old June 4th 09, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Jun 4, 11:13*am, Andy wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:25*am, "
wrote:

[...]

Actually, calibration is the easy part. Just load the glider to
maximum gross weight, fly it at the Calibrated Air Speed (From tables
in the POH) for best L/D, for minimum sink and for stall and note the
readings for each. You probably don't care about actual AoA is in
degrees.

If you want a fancy color LED display that changes color/shape
precisely at each, the electronics package should have adjustments
built in.

Alternatively, choose a 10 element LED bargraph display where each
element can be red, yellow or green depending on which pins are used.
Once the position of each AoA of interest is known, switch pins to
produce the color desired. You can also wire in a warning horn to
sound when the red stall LED lights up and the gear is down.
Old June 5th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Bamberg

On Jun 4, 11:22*am, bildan wrote:
On Jun 4, 11:13*am, Andy wrote:

On Jun 4, 9:25*am, "
wrote:

[...]

sound when the red stall LED lights up and the gear is down.- Hide quoted text -

I think you all miss the point that a panel mounted AoA indicator is
not the right way to get this critical information. I don't want some
boob looking in the cockpit while thermaling!! That's why we create
audio variometers! I have been considering this for some time and
unless we want two channels of audio in the cockpit, or we have a very
good heads up display, the AoA info is wasted when you need it most.

Mike
Old June 5th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think the GLIDER is a pretty good angle of attack indicator.
Old June 5th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Jun 4, 8:32*pm, Mike Bamberg wrote:
On Jun 4, 11:22*am, bildan wrote:

On Jun 4, 11:13*am, Andy wrote:

On Jun 4, 9:25*am, "
wrote:

[...]

You seem to assume a pilot would be fixated on the AoA display.
That's not how it's used. Find the airspeed that corresponds to the
desired AoA and hold that airspeed. The AoA won't change if you don't
change the airspeed or bank angle.

You should be able to hold airspeed, and by extension the AoA by the
sound of the glider and control forces just like you do now - except,
with an AoA indicator, you'd know you were flying exactly the right
airspeed for minimum sink.

wby0n: "I think the GLIDER is a pretty good angle of attack
indicator." This sounds suspiciously like someone is confusing pitch
attitude with AoA.
Old June 5th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 4, 7:32*pm, Mike Bamberg wrote:

I think you all miss the point that a panel mounted AoA indicator is
not the right way to get this critical information. *I don't want some
boob looking in the cockpit while thermaling!! *That's why we create
audio variometers! * I have been considering this for some time and
unless we want two channels of audio in the cockpit, or we have a very
good heads up display, the AoA info is wasted when you need it most.

Mike

An AOA indicator, like the airspeed indicator or even the yaw string,
can easily be used by just glancing at it. Once you have established
the correct AOA, then it's easy to maintain by looking at your
glider's nose position vs the horizon - just as you do now, with that
inaccurate airspeed indicator. The whole point is that you can
quickly set the correct AOA for the bank angle and wingloading you are
flying at (without having to guess what airspeed to use based on some
chart or graph in the flight manual - quick, what is your gliders min
sink speed with 20 gallons of water in a 37 degree bank?).

What would be real nice - and might save a life in the pattern - would
be to have aural Fast/Onspeed/Slow tones that would replace the vario
tones when the spoilers an/or landing flaps are extended (assuming
that once those are out, you are no longer really concerned with
climbing!). Then you could focus all your attention outside the
cockpit on your approach, without having to glance into the cockpit to
check airspeed. That's how we used to land F-4s, and it was a really
comfortable way to fly a visual approach.

What is amusing is that pilots who have never had the opportunity to
fly an AOA-indicator equipped aircraft seem to be reluctant to accept
it's advantages and cling to their old ways, while pilots who have
used AOA gauges love them.

Kirk
66
Old June 5th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Bob,

Well it sounds like you fly a HP-18. (How did I figure that out?)

And yes, I thought the AOA in the A-3B Skywarrior and A-6B Intruder were great instruments and would like to have one on MY w/o spoilers sailplane.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"

"Bob Whelan" wrote in message ...
wrote:

Sensible stuff snipped...
What is amusing is that pilots who have never had the opportunity to
fly an AOA-indicator equipped aircraft seem to be reluctant to accept
it's advantages and cling to their old ways, while pilots who have
used AOA gauges love them.

Apologies for not re-titling this thread, but I've gotta second Kirk's
observation, and, generalize it to include (for example) landing flaps
and 'anything else abbie-normal.'

I haven't flown an AOA-equipped glider, but I'd sure like to. Meanwhile
since 1981 I've been flying a genyoowinely abbie-normal sailplane:
American racing glass (Strike 1!); w/o spoilers (Strike 2!!); and a
side-stick (Strike 3!!!) Oh yeah...while I'm at it, it never had a
chance at obtaining an approved (non-experimental) type certificate,
either. (You're not only out...you're outta the GAME!!!!)

Writ smilingly, with a rueful shake of the head, we pilots as a group
tend to be: a) relentlessly conservative/sheeplike in our 'common
wisdoms'; b) vocal in our (often not-factually-supported) opinions; and
c) 'too-often guilty' of passing off the latter as matters of fact.

Regards,
'Asbestos Bob' W.

Glider angle of attack indicator by SafeFlight Bill Daniels Soaring 53 December 20th 07 12:29 PM
Helpful controller Ridge Piloting 3 July 12th 07 11:57 PM
Ode to the Helpful Homebuilder [email protected] Home Built 13 November 10th 06 08:37 AM
Need glider airspeed indicator [email protected] Soaring 1 June 21st 05 09:57 PM
Which rating would be more helpful? Jeffrey LLoyd Piloting 2 July 17th 03 07:02 PM