What should I know before learning to soar? (and first post here)

Old January 8th 04, 04:58 AM
Blaine

Default What should I know before learning to soar? (and first post here)

Hey guys,

I've been off usenet for a couple years now. Anyway, I am currently a
CFII that would like to learn how to soar. I've contacted a couple
local clubs for information, which they have been very good to reply
so far! I don't have a whole lot of uninterrupted time right now to
devote towards soaring, especially not until summer arrives. What
should I know before beginning this new adventure? How long and what
did it cost 'you' to get your certificate? As far as advancing to a
glider commercial and CFI, how long does that roughly take? I know I
could get the FARs out and see, but I was hoping for some elaboration
on the typical process. Perhaps it would be better to just wait until
summer? I suppose the thermals would be better, not to mention the
cold is just plain unpleasant! Keep in mind, I have zero soaring
background and I'm located in the midwest. Thanks for your help so far
guys and gals!
Old January 8th 04, 05:43 AM
BTIZ

learning to soar.. with your CFII, is an easy and quick task.. of sorts..
there are schools that can get you through the grind in a week, Commercial
Glider.. and maybe another week for CFIG... but what have you really learned
in a week..

By the FARs.. you need to be proficient to solo, including all maneuvers and
emergencies.. as per any rating.. some can be done in as little as 3-5
flights.. some more.. then a number of solo flights, 5 comes to mind, and
then polish up with a CFIG for the prep.. a total of I believe 10 dual
flights.. or 3 hours.. (61.129(f)).. and during the evenings and off hours..
hanger talk and study for the oral exam.. no written required for you..

follow the same type of drill for the CFIG... but in truth.. what can you
really learn about "soaring" in two weeks time.. how many different weather
patterns will you have experienced.. or thermaling.. or wave.. or ridge..
but you will be safe.. to go out and expand your knowledge base..

but "learning to soar".. is not a "late night quickie with a hot date.."...

it is a life style...

come join us.. once you do.. fully immerse yourself.. life without soaring..
will never be the same..

your power flying technique will improve also..

Read a couple of books, "The Joy of Soaring", "Transition to Gliders" (for
the power pilot transition), and "Cross Country Soaring by Reichmann", plus
the new "FAA Glider Flying Handbook" (FAA-H-8083-13)

THE BEST WAY.. is to join a local soaring club.. and plan at least one
weekend day every weekend there... start now.. and you'll be ready for
summer... CFIGs have time now.. come summer they want to be cross country in
their own gliders..

We do our best training in winter.. we prefer to start primary students in
the fall, the air is calmer.. so come spring and summer.. they are ready for
the stronger thermals.. it is hard to teach flying on tow.. and landings..
when you are getting kicked by 6-8 knot (read 600-800fpm) thermals..

BT

om...

Old January 8th 04, 02:49 PM
DGManley

but "learning to soar".. is not a "late night quickie with a hot date.."...

I'm outta here!

I'll be on my way over to rec.liquored-up.floozies
Old January 8th 04, 04:21 PM
Tony Verhulst

Blaine,

The "Students" section of the Greater Boston Soaring Club
(http://www.soargbsc.org) will answer most of your questions. Click on
"Becoming a Glider Pilot".

Tony V.

Old January 8th 04, 11:25 PM
John Shelton

but "learning to soar".. is not a "late night quickie with a hot

date.."...

it is a life style...

A lifestyle like a priesthood that does not have access to women OR boys.

Old January 9th 04, 03:02 AM
bumper

"John Shelton" wrote in message
.net...

but "learning to soar".. is not a "late night quickie with a hot

date.."...

it is a life style...

A lifestyle like a priesthood that does not have access to women OR boys.

You guys obviously need to visit Minden NV more often, good soaring AND the
Moonlight Bunny Ranch to supply the liquored-up floozies. ('Course I don't
do that or my wife would have the house and probably sailplane too.)

Old January 9th 04, 03:04 AM
Vaughn

"bumper" wrote in message

You guys obviously need to visit Minden NV more often, good soaring AND

the
Moonlight Bunny Ranch to supply the liquored-up floozies. ('Course I don't
do that or my wife would have the house and probably sailplane too.)

Of course you don't.

Old January 9th 04, 04:15 PM
Blaine

Guys,

Thanks for your posts and your emails. Those sites have been a big
help. I want to start as soon as possible, but due to the limited
local availability of gliders, I worry that I will not be able to keep
proficient as a glider pilot. Around here, people with glider ratings
are essentially unheard of. I don't want the rating just to have the
rating.

If I just had unlimited time and money, I would be taking glider,
aerobatic, seaplane, mountain flying, skiplane, and lighter-then-air
lessons all at the same time! I might even consider flying those
whirly-bird contraptions. haha
Old January 9th 04, 04:24 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Blaine wrote:
Guys,

Thanks for your posts and your emails. Those sites have been a big
help. I want to start as soon as possible, but due to the limited
local availability of gliders, I worry that I will not be able to keep
proficient as a glider pilot. Around here, people with glider ratings
are essentially unheard of. I don't want the rating just to have the
rating.

If I just had unlimited time and money, I would be taking glider,
aerobatic, seaplane, mountain flying, skiplane, and lighter-then-air
lessons all at the same time! I might even consider flying those
whirly-bird contraptions. haha

How about www.lasoaring.com

I've never used them, but if I was in LA I would give
it a looksie. No tug issues, comes to your doorstep,
a good price and options, and two seats! For convenience (not
performance), motorgliders may be a good compromise for you..