I Want My Own Bird

Old October 13th 04, 10:44 PM
Jay Honeck

Actually the driver was only 18 when he was served acohol by the
Highlander Inn (he's 19 now). Interesting that Jay left that bit of
information out of his rant.

And this has what to do with my point?

At 18, the driver was a legal adult. He made a series of bad decisions. He
was at a wedding reception, where anyone who walks up to a beer tapper is
going to drink a beer. He drank too much, drove like an idiot, killed his
best friend -- and he's now been sent away to prison for TWENTY FIVE YEARS
(another absurd part of this story, but that's another post). He has "paid
his debt to society" -- times ten.

But that debt apparently isn't enough. The girl in the backseat was
injured, and her father now has an ambulance-chasing attorney suing the
hotel for millions, because the driver's parents apparently don't have deep
enough pockets.

So, another business bites the dust. (They have actually sold the hotel --
it's now a "Quality Inn")

The scenario that happened here could happen at our hotel, at any
restaurant, or at most people's homes. It's just bull****, and anyone who
supports this kind of legal action is part of the problem.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 14th 04, 12:29 AM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:
Actually the driver was only 18 when he was served acohol by the
Highlander Inn (he's 19 now). Interesting that Jay left that bit of
information out of his rant.

And this has what to do with my point?

At 18, the driver was a legal adult. He made a series of bad decisions. He
was at a wedding reception, where anyone who walks up to a beer tapper is
going to drink a beer.

Doesn't matter. You cannot serve or allow to be served, anyone under 21.

Old October 14th 04, 01:55 AM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Actually the driver was only 18 when he was served acohol by the
Highlander Inn (he's 19 now). Interesting that Jay left that bit of
information out of his rant.

And this has what to do with my point?

At 18, the driver was a legal adult. He made a series of bad decisions. He
was at a wedding reception, where anyone who walks up to a beer tapper is
going to drink a beer. He drank too much, drove like an idiot, killed his
best friend -- and he's now been sent away to prison for TWENTY FIVE YEARS
(another absurd part of this story, but that's another post). He has "paid
his debt to society" -- times ten.

Really? I think 25 years is a light sentence for killing someone. I
prefer the death penalty.

Matt

Old October 14th 04, 05:13 AM
Jay Honeck

Really? I think 25 years is a light sentence for killing someone. I
prefer the death penalty.

He didn't kill someone in the same sense as a criminal with a gun. He
killed someone through neglect. Worse, he killed his best friend in a car
accident, which will surely haunt him all the days of his life.

There is a woman in Iowa City who stabbed her husband in the chest and
killed him in cold blood. Because she was a person of stature in the
community, and her husband (a local university big shot) was cheating on
her, she will be surely be walking the streets as a free woman in less than
25 years -- while this stupid kid will still be rotting in jail.

To sentence a dumb kid who was driving drunk as (or more) severely than a
cold-blooded murderer is absurd and immoral.

And to go after the owner of the hotel where he was drinking before the
accident is equally wrong.

I can't believe I'm even arguing this. Whatever happened to personal
responsibility in this country?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 14th 04, 05:20 AM
Jay Honeck

Doesn't matter. You cannot serve or allow to be served, anyone under 21.

And that is a ridiculous law. Also, there is more to it in Iowa City than
meets the eye.

Three Iowa City businesses have been shut down (and their owners bankrupted)
for serving alcohol to 18 year olds, just in the past year. Funny thing is,
local ordinance PERMITS 18 year olds to be in bars -- but if they are caught
drinking, it is the bar OWNER who is punished.

I think this is crazy. As an 18 year old, you can sign a legal contract.
You can buy a gun. You can (in wartime) be drafted. In every respect,
save one, you are legally an adult at age 18.

Why this type of unconstitutional discrimination is legal is a complete
mystery to me. When I was growing up, we could have a beer at 18.

Either make adulthood start at age 21, or make it 18 -- but don't try to
fudge the distinction.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 14th 04, 09:11 AM
Dave S

Jay Honeck wrote:

I can't believe I'm even arguing this. Whatever happened to personal
responsibility in this country?

The owner of the Hotel was PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE for insuring that
illegal activity didnt take place on his property. He failed in that
endeavor and is under fire for it. No.. that doesn't absolve the drunk
teen of responsibility, but as is the case in most tragic events, its
not a "single point" of failure that results in tragedy but rather a
comedy of errors. While the key factor is the kid got drunk, nobody
hosting the party cut him off. Nobody stopped him when he tried to go
driving. His friend made a choice to get in a drunk's car. It takes a
village to raise a child, people.. and.. more than you want to
acknowledge.. you ARE your brother's keeper.

If a client was dealing drugs out of your hotel... maybe just a little
Pot.. nothing really dangerous... but you knew about it and turned your
head the other way... you could potentially loose your livelyhood and
property to seizure. But.. we are only talking about a little MJ, right?
Its harmless, right? Who knows, but it IS the law of the land, imposed
directly or indirectly by the voters (your peers).

Dave

Old October 14th 04, 12:07 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

Not in my book. Driving after drinking, unless someone forces you at
gunpoint, is just as intentional as any other form of murder.

Letting people who do this get off easy is the immoral action.

Matt

Old October 14th 04, 01:05 PM
Jay Honeck

If a client was dealing drugs out of your hotel... maybe just a little
Pot.. nothing really dangerous... but you knew about it and turned your
head the other way... you could potentially loose your livelyhood and
property to seizure. But.. we are only talking about a little MJ, right?
Its harmless, right? Who knows, but it IS the law of the land, imposed
directly or indirectly by the voters (your peers).

That's an interesting point.

We have had, on two occasions, highly suspicious guests who appeared to be
completely out of character with our usual guests. On both occasions, they
were people of color, they paid with a large sum of cash, they were
extraordinarily well dressed, said very little to anyone, had no interest in
the aviation theme -- and there were cars coming and going at all hours,
with people going in and out of their suite all night long.

They also took many phone calls, far more than the normal guest.

Should I have called the local constable? Homeland security?

Or do people still have a right to privacy, and a degree of personal
responsibility?

"You make the call."
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 14th 04, 01:07 PM
Jay Honeck

Not in my book. Driving after drinking, unless someone forces you at
gunpoint, is just as intentional as any other form of murder.

How can you equate premeditated murder with a car accident while under the
influence?

I would hope that "criminal intent" still counts for *something* in this
country, or we are surely all doomed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 14th 04, 08:41 PM
Dude

Jay,

You are absolutely right about this point.

There should be one age of majority - period. It's this kind of crap that is
ruining this country by burdening us with too many laws to keep track of.

At some point people should be considered adults. I too cannot believe that
we would let someone vote who we cannot trust to drink responsibly. I also
don't care what age they make it, just so that it is consistent.

We used to keep lots of people we should not have from voting, and that was
wrong. Allowing children to vote is worse though.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

FS - Bird 43 Wattmeter element for Aviation repair Lou Aviation Marketplace 0 March 15th 04 01:27 AM
T Bird - ZackGSD Home Built 1 December 15th 03 01:47 PM
Tying down the bird david whitley Owning 17 September 23rd 03 03:57 AM
Bird control David Naugler Aviation Marketplace 7 September 22nd 03 03:40 PM
Finally got to fly my new bird Jay Honeck Owning 35 August 23rd 03 05:01 AM