Conical bushings on dynafocal mount

Old March 12th 12, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rmhou at yahoo.com

Default Conical bushings on dynafocal mount

We are replacing sagging bushings in my friend's Pazmany PL-1B. The
engine is a 150hp O-320 with Dynafocal mount, but we are not sure what
type (I or II). However, the airframe engine mount has cups looking
like engine block conical mount using bushings looking like Lycoming
71032.

71032 bushings have .5" hole but the mounting bolts are .402" like the
ones used with Dynafocal engine mount with large cups. We are thinking
using some type of metal sleeves over the bolts so the bushings do not
deform too much under compression. I fount the following online from
Great Plains website:

http://www.greatplainsas.com/i71032.html

However, Great Plains uses .5" OD with 3/8" ID metal tube as sleeves
since it uses AN6 bolts (.371-.374"). Our bolts at .402" are not going
to fit.

Is this a standard Lycoming installation? If so, is there a Lycoming
kit (bushings, bolts, washers, sleeves, ...) to correctly mount this
Dynafocal engine to its engine mount with conical cups? Part no. for
the kit?

If not, any suggestion on how to correctly install these bushings is
welcome.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1121043...68234383154386

https://picasaweb.google.com/1121043...68658826101362

https://picasaweb.google.com/1121043...68869924640962

https://picasaweb.google.com/1121043...69068741227522

https://picasaweb.google.com/1121043...69253420287490

https://picasaweb.google.com/1121043...69579336970610
Old March 17th 12, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 12, 1:36*pm, "rmhou at yahoo.com" wrote:
[...]

The two systems are not compatible in any way. For a Dynafocal engine
you need a Dynafocal engine mount and shockmounts. Neither are cheap.
Any attempts to use the conical mounts on a Dynafocal setup could be
dangerous.

Dan
Old March 17th 12, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Mar 17, 4:38*am, wrote:

The two systems are not compatible in any way. For a Dynafocal engine
you need a Dynafocal engine mount and shockmounts. Neither are cheap.
Any attempts to use the conical mounts on a Dynafocal setup could be
dangerous.

It's not what I would do, but it seemed to be safe enough for the
fifty or so PL-1Bs built in Taiwan in the 1970s.

Thanks, Bob K.

Lycoming Conical Engine Mount - lifespan Eugene Wendland Home Built 2 February 20th 06 02:45 PM
Lycoming O-320 & Dynafocal Mount Dimensions Ballchain Home Built 1 October 21st 04 09:06 PM
The 4 dollar / 2 second GPS mount John Harlow Piloting 6 February 9th 04 09:23 PM
engine mount sam Owning 0 January 22nd 04 09:01 PM
Ram mount GPS Hankal Owning 0 October 23rd 03 03:34 PM