Canopy and Wing Covers

Old November 12th 03, 02:22 AM
Reid & Julie Baldwin

Default Canopy and Wing Covers

I just became the new owner of a Piper PA-16 Clipper. I hope to get
it into a hangar. However, I may need to park it outside for awhile in the
meantime. I looked up airplane covers on the internet and found several
brands: Bruce's Custom Covers, Kennon Aircraft Covers, Cunningham
Aircraft Covers, etc. I am interested in finding out about other people's
experiences with these covers.

Are some brands better than others?

What features should I look for?

Old November 12th 03, 02:29 AM
David Megginson

"Reid & Julie Baldwin" writes:

I just became the new owner of a Piper PA-16 Clipper. I hope to get
it into a hangar. However, I may need to park it outside for awhile in the
meantime. I looked up airplane covers on the internet and found several
brands: Bruce's Custom Covers, Kennon Aircraft Covers, Cunningham
Aircraft Covers, etc. I am interested in finding out about other people's
experiences with these covers.

Aerocovers has good prices and outstanding service -- they have lots
of customers in Canada and the U.S.:

http://www.aerocovers.com/

All the best,

David
Old November 12th 03, 04:00 AM
Michelle P

Reid & Julie,

I have had very good luck with Kennon. They were prompt and responsive
when I had a problem.

Suggestion for improvement and customization were incorporated into my
cover.

They are always trying to improve the product.

Michelle

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old November 12th 03, 04:56 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Reid & Julie Baldwin wrote:

I am interested in finding out about other people's experiences with these
covers.

I had Kennon covers on my Cessna 150 for about 5 years. They were still in good
shape when I sold the plane. I bought Kennon covers for my Maule when I got it
in 1995. I had to replace the bungee cords once, some of the velcro is shot,
and the stitching is giving out. With winter coming on, I need to pick up a new
set. Looks like it'll be Kennon again.

In my experience, Bruce's is a bit higher. They also don't make the cowl-cap
type of nose cover that I prefer. I did buy a set of cowl plugs from Bruce back
in '95, but the little flags were beating up the paint on my cowl, so I cut
them off. Not too long after that, I tried to start the plane with the plugs in.
That was pretty spectacular. One plug was thrown over 100' - we never did find
it.

I also agree with Michelle's comments. Kennon fixes problems, even when you're
the one that made the mistake.

George Patterson
If you're not part of the solution, you can make a lot of money prolonging
the problem.
Old November 12th 03, 04:41 PM
Ron Natalie

"Reid & Julie Baldwin" wrote in message ...
I just became the new owner of a Piper PA-16 Clipper. I hope to get
it into a hangar. However, I may need to park it outside for awhile in the
meantime. I looked up airplane covers on the internet and found several
brands: Bruce's Custom Covers, Kennon Aircraft Covers, Cunningham
Aircraft Covers, etc. I am interested in finding out about other people's
experiences with these covers.

I have a Kennon canopy cover. They did a good job. It's a heavy canvas
with a special lining over the windows. Bruces (and some of the others) are
sort of a lighter material.

Old November 12th 03, 04:42 PM
Ron Natalie

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...

I had Kennon covers on my Cessna 150 for about 5 years. They were still in good
shape when I sold the plane. I bought Kennon covers for my Maule when I got it
in 1995. I had to replace the bungee cords once, some of the velcro is shot,
and the stitching is giving out. With winter coming on, I need to pick up a new
set. Looks like it'll be Kennon again.

We've replaced the bungee on ours as well (we just went down to the local boat
shop and got some equivelent shock cord).

Old November 12th 03, 09:46 PM
Bob Chilcoat

There is a guy at Stroudsberg (PA) airport (N35) who makes custom covers.
We just had him replace the cockpit cover on our Archer. Cost $185.50. You
make an appointment, fly in, and he makes the cover on the spot. This is
the third one that's been on the plane. The last one was good for five
years. He calls himself Airborne Aircraft Upholstery. I don't know if he
does wing covers, but I suspect he will if you ask him.

Old November 13th 03, 02:21 AM
Margy Natalie

Our Kennon cover also has the stiching giving out, but I'm not going to replace it
as the fabric is still quite good. Kennon offers a repair/refurbish program which
I'll get around to doing sooner or later.

Margy

Old November 13th 03, 05:20 AM
Flynn

I've got Bruce's extended canopy and wing covers. Good fit and definitely
do the job.
We're pleased with them.

--
Patrick Flynn
Sammamish, WA

Old November 13th 03, 05:55 AM
Ron Wanttaja

I've got a Cunningham cockpit cover (custom made for my homebuilt) and am
pleased with it.

Ron Wanttaja