Participated in my first NASA GA research project (long)

Old October 21st 04, 08:41 AM
Jay Beckman

"Newps" wrote in message
When I want to take video I set the camera on the top of the panel on an
unused sponge. I have a couple of elastic straps that hold it securely to
the sponge. No image stabilization needed. I set the camera to the
landscape setting so it won't focus on the windshield, it focuses on
infinity. It is much easier with a camera with the swing out window. I
adjust the camera up and down in such a way that the engine cowl is just
barely showing on the bottom of the screen, camera fully zoomed out. I
also have an audio cable that goes from one of the headset jacks to the
cameras mic in jack. Works like a charm except for there being no engine
noise on the film. Works really cool when you put it on a DVD with music
in the background.

Newps,

Forgive me for asking a "noob" kind of question but,

Is it legal to create home-made camera mounts? Does it make a difference if
you do it like you or John do it (where it's inside the cabin...) and don't
try to duct tape it to the strut? (Yes, I'm exagerating here...)

I know that STC'd pods and mounts are really expensive, combersome, etc.
But as much as I'd love to (eventually) shoot some of my flying experiences,
I'd be more scared of getting busted for "jerry-rigging" something if Mr.
FAA were to stop by for a chat.

What's the "official" word on this?

Thanks,

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
PP-ASEL
Still nowhere to go but up!

Old October 21st 04, 01:28 PM
Peter R.

John T ) wrote:

I thought the same thing, too. I spent the first few minutes in the sim
trying to figure out if I could squeeze it into my garage or if I'd have to
build out a room in the basement...

Hey, another subject pilot!

That's probably the best use of a TabletPC I've seen, yet. However, I felt
a bit...odd voicing my answers, in addition.

By the last flight scenario, I didn't want anything to do with that
Tablet PC.

He never told *me* that. He only told me afterwards that I should have been
able to see the runway. Only once in the IMC runs was that the case and
when I did I was already in the midst of initiating a go-around.
Real-world, I'd've asked for another shot.

Huh, I wonder if they mixed up the weather between subject pilots?
There were a few of the actual test scenarios where he congratulated me
for executing the missed at DA, since he had set up the weather to be
well below DA.

He was a bit surprised by my rather quick
"Oh, yes I do!" when he asked if I had any thoughts on the SVS PFD in VFR
scenario. I had to keep reminding myself to look outside and stop trying to
fly the technically perfect approach.

During my first VFR flight with the SVS PFD I made the mistake of
staring at it way too much. After the flight, I realized my error and
verbally criticized myself for doing so (to get my confession on tape).
I then explained that most likely I was so enamored with the display
that I failed to look outside more. That is when I realized that less
information on the display is preferable for VFR flights.

The researcher told me that he also noted my excessive heads down. The
next VFR flight, I kept my eyes outside for the majority of the flight.

Nobody had an idea on the power situation and that was the only time it
occurred. He did mention the simulator sometimes has a "contol lock"-type
situation where it won't respond properly to control inputs.

The researcher forgot to warn me of the possibility of the control
systems failing. During the first flight of the afternoon, which was
the first flight of the study, I was on the round dials in IMC tracking
the localizer, when suddenly the rudder deflected full right.

After letting out a surprised sound, I jammed left rudder and called,
"Reno Approach, NASA xxx declaring an emergency, control failure." My
eyes did note that this problem didn't seem to appear in the gauges (no
slip indicated on the turn coordinator), but nonetheless, I went with
it.

The researcher called from behind me asking what the problem was. I
stated that I had no rudder control. He started laughing and apologized
for forgetting to tell me that sometimes the sim's controls would fail,
thanks to a bug in the hydraulics. A technician walked in and, while
laughing, commented on the fact that at least I declared an emergency.

BTW, I enjoyed a few of your out-the-window videos.

--
Peter

Old October 21st 04, 03:11 PM
John T

Newps wrote:

When I want to take video I set the camera on the top of the panel on
an unused sponge. I have a couple of elastic straps that hold it
securely to the sponge. No image stabilization needed. I set the
camera to the landscape setting so it won't focus on the windshield,
it focuses on infinity. It is much easier with a camera with the
swing out window. I adjust the camera up and down in such a way that
the engine cowl is just barely showing on the bottom of the screen,
camera fully zoomed out. I also have an audio cable that goes from
one of the headset jacks to the cameras mic in jack. Works like a
charm except for there being no engine noise on the film. Works
really cool when you put it on a DVD with music in the background.

Yeah, definitely set the focus to manual/infinity. My camera has image
stabilization built-in (I don't even know if you can turn it off), but the
padded dash on our C182 absorbs much of the engine vibration. Even so, I'm
not sure how good the video would be without the IS. I use a portable
intercom that has an audio out jack for cockpit audio. I've heard of folks
having no problems going directly from the intercom system into the camera,
but since I already had the portable, I've not bothered trying the direct
link, yet.

Your idea of music in the background is cool, too. Check this out:
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer/flights.asp#040509

"040509 Highlights"

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old October 21st 04, 06:04 PM
zatatime

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:11:53 -0400, "John T" wrote:

"040509 Highlights"

Who sings the first song? Center of the Sun I would think is the name
of it. Really cool tune to put with the vid!

Thanks for the link.

Old October 21st 04, 10:26 PM
John T

zatatime wrote:

Who sings the first song? Center of the Sun I would think is the name
of it. Really cool tune to put with the vid!

Thanks.

"Center of the Sun (Solarstone's Chilled Out Remix)" by Conjure One f/Poe.

I got it off the album "Chillout - A Nettwerk Escape" (available from iTunes
and possibly other sites).

--
John T

Old October 21st 04, 10:30 PM
zatatime

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:26:18 -0400, "John T" wrote:

"Center of the Sun (Solarstone's Chilled Out Remix)" by Conjure One f/Poe

Thanks I'll try to get it off a P2P network.

Old October 21st 04, 11:15 PM
Newps

Jay Beckman wrote:

Newps,

Forgive me for asking a "noob" kind of question but,

Is it legal to create home-made camera mounts?

First off I don't care what the Feds might think, it's a portable deal.
Second look at Lowry's setup. The Feds would have a conniption fit
with that setup before they worry about mine. Get in any kind of
accident and you have flying camera parts. Not good.

Does it make a difference if
you do it like you or John do it (where it's inside the cabin...) and don't
try to duct tape it to the strut? (Yes, I'm exagerating here...)

His is dangerous, mine ain't. Also and more importantly I only want the
video to be of outside the plane. To get a good look at the panel and
also of whatever is outside is extremely difficult for the camera.
That's a shot with lots of backlighting.

I know that STC'd pods and mounts are really expensive, combersome, etc.
But as much as I'd love to (eventually) shoot some of my flying experiences,
I'd be more scared of getting busted for "jerry-rigging" something if Mr.
FAA were to stop by for a chat.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Old October 22nd 04, 01:44 AM
John T

"Newps" wrote in message

His is dangerous, mine ain't.

Lowry's? Or duct tape?

Also and more importantly I only want
the video to be of outside the plane. To get a good look at the
panel and also of whatever is outside is extremely difficult for the
camera. That's a shot with lots of backlighting.

Yeah, contrast is a problem, but the times I've wanted panel-only shots I've
engaged the "backlight" feature of my camera. "Whites out" everything in
the background (in daylight, of course), but the panel comes in nicely.

--
John T

Old October 22nd 04, 02:31 AM
Newps

John T wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message

His is dangerous, mine ain't.

Lowry's? Or duct tape?

Lowry's. You don't want any missiles behind you in a wreck.

Also and more importantly I only want
the video to be of outside the plane. To get a good look at the
panel and also of whatever is outside is extremely difficult for the
camera. That's a shot with lots of backlighting.

Yeah, contrast is a problem, but the times I've wanted panel-only shots I've
engaged the "backlight" feature of my camera. "Whites out" everything in
the background (in daylight, of course), but the panel comes in nicely.

What would be the purpose of a panel shot? Instrument training? I
would like to get a very small camera and remote mount it. A camera on
the top of the tail would be ideal, just like on the Discovery Wings
channel program where that woman learns to fly. Or a camera mounted on
the belly a few feet behind the main wheels would be really cool. You
could mount it to an inspection cover for quick removal. If anybody
knows of a small, light camera post a link.
Old October 22nd 04, 03:41 AM
Jose

To get a good look at the
panel and also of whatever is outside is extremely difficult for the
camera. That's a shot with lots of backlighting.

Just put an ND filter over the top part of the lens, and it will dim the view out the window without altering the view of the instruments.

Jose