Mt. Raniert puts on show...

Old January 19th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mt. Raniert puts on show...

or: no honey, were not going to be abducted:

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blog/35631614.html
Old January 19th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey

On Jan 19, 2:56*pm, wrote:
or: no honey, were not going to be abducted:

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blog/35631614.html

OK, glider cognoscenti, now's someone's chance to educate me. Now
looking at that first picture, I think that the cloud immediately to
the left of the mountain is the first downwind oscillation of the
wave. I see some wispy stuff right at the peak, which is presume is
an indication that the wind is blowing pretty much directly down the
line of the 3 sets of clouds that I see. But my big question is,
where would one want to put their glider? I'm thinking that it would
be just on the upwind side of the second cloud, but don't know.
Please, educate me on this.

I one flight to 15k in wave, I think it was my 29th glider flight,
near Mt. St. Helena, flying from Calistoga, in 1973, but there were no
clouds, and I surely knew less then than I do now. I was also lucky
and dumb, having not enough clothes and no oxygen (damn, it was cold
up there!). But the flight from takeoff to landing was just shy of an
hour.

Thanks,
Ed