OT tragicomedy

Old January 7th 05, 01:14 PM
Ramapriya

Default OT tragicomedy

Excerpt from Colombo Times...

On 26th Dec '04 early morning several hrs before the catastrophe
happened, Honolulu Tsunami Monitoring center have been trying to call
our Meteorological Dept. monitoring center in Palekelle and Colombo but
failed. They also got in touch with presidents' office however it was
informed that she's out of the island on a private vacation.

Finally they called Prime minister's secretariat, but Prime minister
was out on his morning walk. Thinking at least it's best to keep him
vigilant on this, the Honolulu officials left the message with the
person who picked up the phone to inform Prime minister that there's a
Tsunami coming from Indonesia.

On prime minister's return, the operator told prime minister about the
call, said T. Sunami from Indonesia is arriving in 2 hrs. Prime
minister promptly took action to send a delegation to Katunayake
Airport with name boards ' Welcome Mr. T. Sunami - Indonesia'.
Ramapriya

Old January 7th 05, 03:40 PM
C J Campbell

"Ramapriya" wrote in message
oups.com...
Excerpt from Colombo Times...

The only problem I have with this story is that I don't see how it could
have happened. Why would the operator write down T. Sunami? The Hawaii
Tsunami Center would not have pronounced it that way. I also wonder why the
Tsunami Center would call the Prime Minister and not some disaster relief
agency in Sri Lanka. I suspect that this is an urban legend, possibly
started by the PM's political opponents, that got picked up by the
newspaper.

Old January 8th 05, 12:54 PM
Cub Driver

On 7 Jan 2005 05:14:32 -0800, "Ramapriya" wrote:

T. Sunami from Indonesia is arriving in 2 hrs.

Thank you for that! Is it really true, or is this an internet hoax?

If true, it reinforces my belief that renaming tidal waves as tsunamis
was a really really stupid thing to do. We all knew what a tidal wave
was! And I bet the secretary of the prime minister of Sri Lanka knew
also.

Anyhow, the secretary would never have erred in thinking that Mr. T.
Wave was arriving in two hours ...

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old January 8th 05, 12:58 PM
Cub Driver

Hm. I Googled T Sunami and discovered that this post actually came
from Sri Lankan Net and was published under the category of Sri Lankan
Jokes: http://www.sri-lankan.net/?PG=JOKE&ID=143

Old January 8th 05, 02:09 PM
Jay Honeck

Hm. I Googled T Sunami and discovered that this post actually came
from Sri Lankan Net and was published under the category of Sri Lankan
Jokes: http://www.sri-lankan.net/?PG=JOKE&ID=143

Nice to see that sick humor isn't solely the realm of Americans...

(Actually, the sickest humor seems to be British...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 8th 05, 08:23 PM
Andrew Sarangan

I did not know what a Tsunami was until this incident, and I am sure I am
not the only one. It is possible that the story may be partially true, but
I don't believe it entirely.

Cub Driver wrote in
:

Old January 8th 05, 10:04 PM
jim rosinski

Cub Driver wrote:

If true, it reinforces my belief that renaming tidal waves as

tsunamis
was a really really stupid thing to do. We all knew what a tidal wave
was! And I bet the secretary of the prime minister of Sri Lanka knew
also.

Actually, I believe tsunami is one of those weird hemisphere-dependent
words that depends on where the event occurs. Just like "typhoon" in
east Asia and "hurricane" in North America. So I don't think it's a
renaming. If one of those things hits California it'll probably still
be called a "tidal wave".

Jim Rosinski

Old January 8th 05, 11:21 PM
Flyin'8

Actually, I believe tsunami is one of those weird hemisphere-dependent
words that depends on where the event occurs. Just like "typhoon" in
east Asia and "hurricane" in North America. So I don't think it's a
renaming. If one of those things hits California it'll probably still
be called a "tidal wave".

Likely, but not correct. Tidal Waves are large waves caused by normal
tides. Tsunamis are waves caused by geographic changes on the ocean
floor.
Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
Old January 8th 05, 11:57 PM
jim rosinski

Flyin'8 wrote:

Actually, I believe tsunami is one of those weird

hemisphere-dependent
words that depends on where the event occurs.

Likely, but not correct. Tidal Waves are large waves caused by

normal
tides. Tsunamis are waves caused by geographic changes on the ocean
floor.

I wasn't certain of my original words, but this I'm sure is wrong.
Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary gives as a synonym for tsunami:
TIDAL WAVE. And defines "tidal wave" as: "an unusually high sea wave
that sometimes follows an earthquake". And "an unusual rise of water
alongshore due to strong winds". Tidal waves have nothing to do with
tides.

Jim Rosinski