Reamed out by Approach

Old March 25th 05, 01:49 AM
Jim Burns

How about this one....
I'm headed direct from Lawrenceville, GA, to Rockford, IL, get clost to
RFD and amend destination to Adams, WI, which is about 335 degrees from RFD.
I get "Direct RFD, then Direct Adams"
2 minutes later I get Direct JVL, Janesville, WI (SE of Madison) then Direct
Adams
So I turn about 20 degrees east and head towards JVL
2 minutes later I get Direct current position to Adams
I thank them and turn about 30 degrees left and head for Adams
Now I'm perfectly lined up with Adams with Madison dead in my sites.
The controller asks me if I"m going to pass east or west of Madison.
I say, neither, I'll be right on top of them.
(he's wondering which freq to hand me off to)
He calls again, N6205Y will you be east or west of Madison?
I say Madison is directly enroute from my present position
Silence.
Then he says N6205Y are you on this frequency? How do you read? will you be
east or west of Madison?
I turn 10 degrees left and call back "N6205Y will now be passing west of
Madison"
He turns me over to MSN West approach.

I don't know why he couldn't have turned me over to MSN East ( I was on the
south east side of MSN) and let them worry about me.

Jim

Old March 25th 05, 04:01 AM
Grumman 236

Again he called the same aircraft, which
sounded almost like "Bravo 511". I decided that this could not be

for me,
although I did hear no acknowledgement of the call. He made a third

call to
"Bravo 511" telling them to "Squawk 1200, contact OSU tower on

118.8."
Again I hesitated, thinking that while this might be for me, I'd

never
having been told to squawk VFR at this point. I was about to ask him

if
these calls were for me when he then called "Archer 511, are you

still with
me?", to which I replied "Affirmative, 511."

Any chance your squelch was set too high? That can cause the first
syllable or two of an incomming call to be clipped off, distorting the
sound of the message. It might sound like the controller starts talking
before keying the mic. Ask me how I know...

Old March 25th 05, 07:40 AM

Hi Bob,

You handled very well, nothing nasty happend so let it go.
Things like this happens all the time, in the air or not.
It is spring for the controller as well, and he is sitting in a dark
room looking at a screen, you did the flying.
He was just jealous.

A similair thing happend to me and I'm still do not know what went
wrong.
One day I had to make a flight from Germany to Holland.
International flights means filing a flight plan even if you are VFR.
My route was over Germany, Holland, Belgium and Holland again.
So I faxed my flight plan, departure was from a small airfield.
In the air I activated it and that went right.
Crossing the Dutch border gave no problems.
Arriving at the Belgian border I called Brussels Information with of
course my call sign D-EDMB and intensions.
Answer: DMB bla bla bla QNH 1019
Me: DMB bla bla bla QNH 1019.
Ok that went well.
After about 10 minutes they start to call an OMB.
Well thats not me, I thought.
And they keep trying to contact a OMB every 5 minues or so.
Nearing the Dutch border I requested to change freq. (thats about 25
min. later)
Them: DMB, Freg. change approved, and we tried to contact you for 20
minutes.
Me: DMB, Freq. change approved, well, I'm DMB, I only heard calls to
OMB.
Them: Oh, goodbye.
Me: Goodbye, DMB.
Holland went right again though.

What happend here?
They have a flight plan for a D-EDMB, the first call went right.
I do not get it.

-Kees

Old March 25th 05, 11:02 AM
Neil Gould

Recently, Bob Chilcoat posted:

Mea culpa:

I was flying into OSU airport at Columbus, OH on Friday. I contacted
Columbus approach at the appropriate time, was given a squawk, and
continued on inbound for OSU. The controller tried to call traffic
for "Archer 411" a couple of times, so I asked if he was calling
"Archer 44511". He seemed exasperated, but gave me traffic, which I
immediately spotted and announced that "511 has traffic".

[...]

I guess I learned that you need to ask immediately if you think a
call might be for you, even though the call is a bit garbled. Is the
aircraft type an official part of the call? Any other actions I
should have taken?

Perhaps you shouldn't take this so personally. In addition to being one of
Ohio's busiest airports, OSU is a training field with many students that
at times create traffic headaches. I have encountered similarly
exasperated controllers at OSU, and just had to realize that they were
having a bad day. I'm pretty sure the guy didn't go home and complain to
his wife about "Archer 511".

Regards,

Neil

Old March 25th 05, 11:19 AM
Jackal24

I wouldn't take it personally either. From my experience, that is just
the way the Columbus controllers are. Fly down south a little bit and
Dayton and Cincy both have extremely helpful controllers, but Columbus is
a different story.

"Neil Gould" wrote in
m:

Old March 25th 05, 12:41 PM
OtisWinslow

If you're sure of what transpired call the controller on the land line
and suggest that you and he and his supervisor listen to the tapes.
We pay them .. there's no excuse for them to treat us shabbily.

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Mea culpa:

I was flying into OSU airport at Columbus, OH on Friday. I contacted
Columbus approach at the appropriate time, was given a squawk, and
continued
on inbound for OSU. The controller tried to call traffic for "Archer 411"
couple of times, so I asked if he was calling "Archer 44511". He seemed
exasperated, but gave me traffic, which I immediately spotted and
announced
that "511 has traffic". I'm not the greatest on the radio in controlled
airspace, but was by myself, and handling things pretty well. I next
heard
a call for "Brsst 511". I heard the call, but thought that there must be
someone else in the area with a similar call sign, since it sounded
nothing
like "Archer" or "Cherokee" (which we Archer pilots also get a lot). I
did
start listening even more carefully, but did not ask him if the call was
for
me, probably partly because of his reaction when I questioned him earlier
when he got my call sign wrong. Again he called the same aircraft, which
sounded almost like "Bravo 511". I decided that this could not be for me,
although I did hear no acknowledgement of the call. He made a third call
"Bravo 511" telling them to "Squawk 1200, contact OSU tower on 118.8."
Again I hesitated, thinking that while this might be for me, I'd never
having been told to squawk VFR at this point. I was about to ask him if
these calls were for me when he then called "Archer 511, are you still
with
me?", to which I replied "Affirmative, 511." At this point he really
reamed
me out, saying "I know it's spring, and you haven't been flying all
winter,
but you really need to pay attention. I've called you three times, and
it's
really busy down here.", or words to that effect. I replied that I had
been
listening very carefully, but he repeated his tirade again about it being
spring and that I needed to concentrate. He then repeated the last call
about squawking 1200 and contacting the tower. Not wanting to tie up the
frequency any more, and being more than a bit embarrassed, I complied and
completed the flight without further incidents.

I really wished that I could have pointed out that if he'd been a bit more
careful with his pronounciation, I would have acknowledged his first call
immediately, since I heard very clearly his final call about whether or
not
I was still with him. I was smarting about the whole thing for the rest
of
the evening. I realize that it is normal procedure for a controller not
abbreviate a call sign if there is more than one plane in his airspace
with
the same final three digits, but had he been even a bit more articulate in
saying "Archer", as he was in his final call, I would not have been
confused.

Old March 25th 05, 02:17 PM
Nathan Young

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:51:05 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I was flying into OSU airport at Columbus, OH on Friday. I contacted
Columbus approach at the appropriate time, was given a squawk, and continued
on inbound for OSU. The controller tried to call traffic for "Archer 411" a
couple of times,

Two comments:

1. Anytime I hear a callsign remotely like mine go answered and get
repeated, I will speak up. Always better to ask a question than to go
on confused.

2. Controllers are human too, and therefore make mistakes.
Sometimes, pilots get blamed for the controllers' mistakes. Since we
pilots strive for excellence in all aspects of our flying - we want to
be exonerated on the air, but it just doesn't work that way. Better
to shrug it off, stay in command of the plane, and learn what you can
from the situation.

I don't think you can fault the controllers for occasionally
misdirecting blame at a GA pilot. It is a learned response - driven
heavily by their interaction with the those GA pilots who have no clue
how to go about flying in B,C,D airspace and/or interact with ATC.
Spend enough time listening to ATC and you will be amazed at some of
the things GA pilots say and do.

-Nathan

Old March 25th 05, 04:33 PM
Bob Chilcoat

No, the radio was working perfectly, and I heard all other calls very
clearly. I think he was just rushing his calls because he felt overworked.
(He actually didn't seem that busy, concidering that there was plenty of
dead air on the frequency, but who knows). Someone at the OSU FBO said that
they use Columbus to train a lot of controllers, so he may have been a bit
green.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I'm a "just-short-of-300-hour"
pilot, and don't have thousands of hours of experience to draw from. Hey,
it's a license to learn, and I'm still learning a lot. :-)

oups.com...

Old March 25th 05, 04:52 PM
Dave Butler

Jose wrote:
I really wished that I could have pointed out that if he'd been a bit
more
careful with his pronounciation, I would have acknowledged his first call
immediately

You could take the reverse approach of the controller asking the pilot
to call the tower. You could have called the tower after the flight and
pointed it out to him then, off freq.

Good answer. On the freq, you can just say "please give me your phone number".

Old March 25th 05, 04:58 PM
Dave Butler

Jackal24 wrote:
I wouldn't take it personally either. From my experience, that is just
the way the Columbus controllers are.

I was gonna say the same thing. I guess it's not just me, then.

DGB