Canadian cross country -- got any old WAC charts?

Old February 24th 04, 05:05 PM
Duane MacInnis

Default Canadian cross country -- got any old WAC charts?

Hello out there,

I am planning a long "life list" XC this summer, Vancouver to Halifax CZBB
to CYHZ (longer story, don't ask...)

The airplane is nearly ready, and planning has begun. What I need is a
series of old WAC charts for route planning.

I intend to plan the routing and do the research with older WAC's, then get
the new VNC & VTA charts just prior to departure for final planning.

Does anyone have an old set of E-15,16, 17, 18, 21, and 22 they could part
with? (not TOO old !!)

Hints and ideas appreciated also.

Thanks

Duane

++++++++++++++
Duane MacInnis PE
Flight Instructor
Cell (604) 454-7415
www.macinnisaviation.com

78 Grumman Cheetah C-GVJF #0660

Old February 24th 04, 08:24 PM
Jordan

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:05:07 GMT, "Duane MacInnis"
wrote:

Hello out there,

I am planning a long "life list" XC this summer, Vancouver to Halifax CZBB
to CYHZ (longer story, don't ask...)

The airplane is nearly ready, and planning has begun. What I need is a
series of old WAC charts for route planning.

I intend to plan the routing and do the research with older WAC's, then get
the new VNC & VTA charts just prior to departure for final planning.

Does anyone have an old set of E-15,16, 17, 18, 21, and 22 they could part
with? (not TOO old !!)

Hints and ideas appreciated also.

Thanks

Duane

That's quite the trip. When I went down to Texas for my 300m, (more
like 1900nm but who's counting we planned the bare minimum. Because
there were several ways to cross the rocks depending how the weather
worked out we planned 4 dif routes for day 1 (VIA the Banff VFR route,
Crowsnest Pass Route, Down by Spokane or just go as far South as
possible before crossing. After we realised how many possibilities
there would be depending on the weather we started planning by the
day. Get up, get the Wx, decide where to go. The amount of wind varies
greatly on the prairies too and sometimes we'd get 500nm on a tank
(C172) w/ reserves, sometimes much less and this affected our fuel
stops.

Buying the VNC's for your whole route will be quite expensive also,
that's alot of charts! Also, don't have any Canadian WAC's to help ya
sorry.
Old February 26th 04, 01:34 AM
Dan Thomas

Jordan wrote in message . ..

[...]

You'll want the VNCs at least for the mountains. WACs just
don't have enough detail for squirting through tight spots. I'd
recommend the VFR routes through Banff, Jasper or the Crowsnest, as
there are more strips available if the weather changes suddenly, which
it can do real quick. The Jasper route is lower and somewhat wider,
but a bit out of the way.

Dan