Wow, C150 = Time Saver = Awesome 3 Days.

Old June 28th 05, 11:03 PM
NW_PILOT

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:55:46 -0700, "NW_PILOT"
wrote in ::

I did it in just about 1.5 hour's in my C150.

What is the distance from the airport to your client's site? How do
you commute there and back to the airport? When you add in the pre
flight planning and post flight time, how does it compare with
automobile travel?

Don't get me wrong. I'd far prefer to commute by air than monitor the
white line for four hours, but there tends to be a lot of additional
"overhead" involved in flight that is absent in commuting by
automobile not the least of which is the cost and inconvenience of
securing ground transportation.

Oh, on the pre and post flight planning don't take that long GPS direct!!!
its about 200 miles by road + traffic via air its just over 100 miles.

Old June 28th 05, 11:48 PM
Peter Duniho

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
You found _nothing_ truthful in my follow up article?

Sorry, you're correct. Your article was entirely truthful, as a matter of
fact. It was simply irrelevant, that's all.

The only untruthful element was the implication that your statements in some
way pertained to the flight in question. But I admit...that was only an
inferrred implication, and thus could have been entirely my own mistaken
interpretation of the post.

My apologies to you.

Pete

Old June 29th 05, 12:01 AM
NW_PILOT

Please I I like to fly Instead Of Drive When I Have Business In The Area!!!!
Saves Time & Some Times Money.

My Base In KVUO so all flights Originate From that Airport and its only
about 10 min away from where I live.

The Following Places I Travel To By Ground Require A Ferry $$$$$$$ and Lots
of Time Waiting.

Lopez Island, S31
Friday Harbor, W33
Victoria BC,

By ground very curvy roads or very bad conditions like snow & ice buildup
and mud slides.

Astoria, Kast
Seaside, 56S
Tillamook, S47
Newport, KONP
Yakima, KYKM
Tri Cities, KPSC
Spokane, KSFF
Colville, 63S
Chewelah, 1S9

Anything up the I-5 corridor it is usually cheaper to drive and it usually
takes about the same amount of time! Anything over the mountains to the east
or west of me or to any of the islands in the sound its sometimes cheaper or
quicker & sometimes both to fly.

This little 150 has saved my butt many time's being able to get some place
on my own time schedule instead of having to wait for a boat or in traffic
and around here they close passes in the winter time sometimes for days. Now
that I have my Instrument Rating I will be able to fly on days that I have
been forced to drive.

From June 20th 2004 to June 19th 2005 I have put in Over 180 hours of Logged
Flight Time sometimes I forget to log a flight oops!

Old June 29th 05, 06:53 AM

Ah, that figures.
Me being a true flatlander, I was not immediately aware of the
possibility of those landscape features ;-)

-Kees

Old June 29th 05, 03:17 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-06-28, Larry Dighera wrote:
you commute there and back to the airport? When you add in the pre
flight planning and post flight time, how does it compare with
automobile travel?

Pre-flight planning on a regular (i.e. familiar route) becomes almost
non-existent on a regular route. When I lived in Houston, I regularly
flew from SPX to Weiser - after the first couple of times it was a case
of pre-flight and jump in and go, no need to figure headings, waypoints
and all the usual cross country stuff. Getting a weather briefing is a
trivial amount of time. Even IFR trips on a regular route take very
little preflight planning - for regular routes, a canned flight plan
takes out most of the planning time.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old June 29th 05, 04:46 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-06-28, Greg Farris wrote:
The only "imperfect" element was that in Europe you cannot fly into large,
ommercial airports - at any cost

That may be true of France, but remember that Europe is not a country
any more than North America is a country. It is an agglomeration of
(mostly) sovereign nations and what may be true in France is not
necessarily true in Italy or Poland.

Old June 29th 05, 06:31 PM
Stubby

Greg Farris wrote:

In article ,
says...

That may be true of France, but remember that Europe is not a country
any more than North America is a country. It is an agglomeration of
(mostly) sovereign nations and what may be true in France is not
necessarily true in Italy or Poland.

I cannot help but think that your rejoinder would have been more informative
had you offered at least one example. In fact, unless and until you do so (or
someone does) I will stand by my generalization, which I believe to be a
reasonably accurate one.

We read many reports here of people flying Cessnas into Logan, Reagan even
JFK. Obviously they do not simply "show up" there at 5:00PM on 45° for
downwind 04R! It involves off-peak planning etc, but it is possible. They last
one to try that in Paris spent some time on the stinky side of an iron cage,
and may never see the left seat again!

I know that EDDM (Munich) has gone further than many recent constructions in
offering services to General Aviation - but they do specify that you have to
be IFR and over 2T/MTOW to land there, which rules out everything up to and
including a C-182.

You make an interesting point about the "new" extended Europe. My guess would
be that the former east-bloc nations would be even more rule and restriction
bound than the traditional Europe, but I admit I've never flown there, and I
don't know. Do you?

G Faris

The European Union should fix all the difference. Right?
Old June 30th 05, 07:45 AM

Wrong.

The EU has its legislation but every member state can have its own,
including aviation.
So when it comes to aviation you first have ICAO, then EU, then state
regulations.
The last ones give you the real headaches when flying from country to
country.

And every airport can decide what traffic they welcome or not.
The discussion was that large airports do not welcome GA, but on a
smaller scale some airfields are off limits to UL and things like that.

-Kees

Old June 30th 05, 11:28 AM

Yep, that's true.
For my calculations for 200 to 500 mile trips I use 50mph for highways
and 30 mph for backroads.
Those figures are rather accurate and include traffic jams, fuel stops
etc.

On most occasions I'm on time +/- 15 min. even after a 500 mile drive.
Shorter distances have to much variables to calculate a accurate
average.

-Kees