Bonehead move today

Old August 14th 05, 11:54 PM
Viperdoc

Default Bonehead move today

Went to Lone Rock, Wisconsin today for the $100 hamburger , with excellent
VFR conditions, and winds light and variable.

After lunch we saw a 210 taxi to the approach end of runway 27 (clearly
visible from the the far end at the restaurant). Just as he started his
takeoff roll, another guy in a 152 taxied onto runway 9, and announced his
departure from runway 9! (yes the opposite direction, with another plane
coming directly at him down the runway.

The 210 did a very steep climb straight ahead, while the 152 did some pretty
radical low level maneuvering to avoid a head on collision. Perhaps the guy
in the 152 assumed the 210 had departed on 09 (there are no taxiways, so
everything is a back taxi, and the winds were light and variable), and the
guy in the 210 wasn't taking at all over unicom, but even so, the far end of
the runway was clearly visible, and there was a big as life 210 rolling in
the opposite direction.

It was about as close to a catastrophe as I'd ever seen, and the guy in my
right seat (CFI, multi, etc) agreed that the guy in the 152 probably never
looked. I'm not sure what to learn from theexperience, but it sure looked
like someone wasn't paying attention.

Old August 15th 05, 12:11 AM
John T

Did the 210 make any announcements?

Wouldn't be surprised if the 152 had announced his back taxi a few
minutes earlier and wasn't really listening after that, even if the 210
anounced. That runway is what, 5K? (I fly out of Morey). Thats a long
taxi for any plane.

John

Old August 15th 05, 12:12 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:54:36 GMT, "Viperdoc"
wrote in
::

It was about as close to a catastrophe as I'd ever seen,

How close to each other would you estimate the two departing aircraft
actually came?

Old August 15th 05, 01:44 AM
Viperdoc

The 210 taxied from the hangar next to the restaurant all of the way to the
far end of the runway, while the 152 simply taxied from the restaurant
directly onto 9 and departed.

As I recall, the 210 only announced his taxi prior to going down the runway,
while the 152 said Cessna xxx departing runway 9, Lone Rock.

They converged at approximately midfield, with the 152 taking evasive action
by doing a steep right turn to the south away from the runway at low
altitude, while the 210 climbed on runway heading and did not take any
obvious evasive action. The 210 did not announce his takeoff roll, but he
clearly was on the runway and visible from the far end (where we were parked
in front of the restaurant). It happened so fast and we hadn't powered up
yet, so couldn't even have given a warning call on the radio.

It's hard to say, but from our perspective it looked like they came within
100 feet or less. In my opinion it was clearly the fault of the 152. For a
few brief moments there was a lot of traffic- a 337 landed, a Mooney was
running up, a Stearman departed, and we were cranking in the Baron, in
addition to the 152 and 210- a lot going on for a small uncontrolled field.

Old August 15th 05, 02:14 AM
Matt Whiting

Viperdoc wrote:

The 210 taxied from the hangar next to the restaurant all of the way to the
far end of the runway, while the 152 simply taxied from the restaurant
directly onto 9 and departed.

As I recall, the 210 only announced his taxi prior to going down the runway,
while the 152 said Cessna xxx departing runway 9, Lone Rock.

They converged at approximately midfield, with the 152 taking evasive action
by doing a steep right turn to the south away from the runway at low
altitude, while the 210 climbed on runway heading and did not take any
obvious evasive action. The 210 did not announce his takeoff roll, but he
clearly was on the runway and visible from the far end (where we were parked
in front of the restaurant). It happened so fast and we hadn't powered up
yet, so couldn't even have given a warning call on the radio.

I agree that the 152 should have looked down the runway before
commencing his take-off roll, however, so should the 210 pilot. And if
the 210 pilot really didn't announce his intent to depart 27, then I'd
place the blame primarily on him/her.

Matt
Old August 15th 05, 02:26 AM
John T

That is a lot of traffic for LNR...I've landed there about 3-4 times,
and we (instructor and I, or a bunch of us after a young eagles rally)
were usually the only traffic.

John

Old August 15th 05, 02:43 AM

Viperdoc,
You weren't flying in your extra were you...?
I was out that way today in the afternoon and someone was putting on a
show just west of Morey. I think they saw me a few miles to the north
of their position, I gave a wing wag, and they gave a wing wag.

Ryan Wubben

Old August 15th 05, 03:03 AM
Jim Burns

I'm pretty familiar with LNR, we used to own the farm land on 3 adjacent
sides of the airport. There are 3 or 4 run-up areas along the south edge of
the 9/27 that either could have used plus the 210 could have pulled off onto
36/18. Didn't either of them think of hitting the brakes and or maybe
pulling off into the run up areas?? What were they looking at as they rolled
down the runway towards each other? Although I don't know their weights or
the density altitude at the time, I think 9/27 is long enough for both of
them to accelerate/stop at the same time.

Bonehead move X 2 for sure.

Glad you weren't in either of their paths.

Jim

Old August 15th 05, 03:35 AM
Viperdoc

Ryan:

Didn't fly the Extra today, but took the family and a friend in the sedan
(Baron). They're both fun to fly and a lot different.

By the way, are you coming back to visit us in MKE? We have some great trips
planned for the future.

JN

Old August 15th 05, 03:45 AM
Guy Elden Jr

Sounds like a great reason to file an ASRS form to me.

--
Guy Elden Jr.