What glider will fit a 6' 7" giant?

Old November 26th 10, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default What glider will fit a 6' 7" giant?

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 19:20:13 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

My advice: ASW-19 or ASW-20.

You must have long legs and a relatively short torso. I'm only 6ft 1
inch and needed the seat all the way back and the pedals all the way
forward in my 19b. Taking the seat back out would not have helped as I
needed the reclined back to get head clearance.

Taking the seat out makes a huge difference in the 19/20 cockpit
(putting a cushion as a head rest into the baggage compartment).
I think that anyone over 6'3'' is flying the 19/20 this way.

The advantage of the 19/20 is that with the seat taken out, you don't
have a wheel well pushing into the cockpit (as in the 24/27/28
cockpits).

It's hopeless giving advice on glider fit just based on total height.
Torso length (seated height) is critical in many gliders. I got tired
of people my height telling me I could get into the SH "A" series.
Just not possible for me.

You are correct - but general consensus is that the ASW-19/20 and the
Schempp-Hirth Discus2b/Ventus2b serie offer cockpits most people will
fit into.

On the other hand the 28 fits me perfectly with pedal travel to spare.

.... which is an extremely tight fit for me.

Andreas
Old November 27th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On Nov 25, 9:40*am, Westbender wrote:
On Nov 25, 7:26*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:

I am trying to help a friend find a glider that he can fit into. He is
looking for a club class glider *or slighty higher cost. What gliders
would he be able to fit into?

I've heard a lot of people say the Grob Astir is very roomy.

I am 6'3 and I just fit into my Grob 102. I could be a lot heavier,
but no taller.
Old November 27th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rkh986

On Nov 25, 5:26*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:
I am trying to help a friend find a glider that he can fit into. He is
looking for a club class glider *or slighty higher cost. What gliders
would he be able to fit into?

It is surprising that the Schempp-Hirth XL cockpit design has not been
mentioned in this thread, as I believe that it may be the choice for
those of us who are tall and/or over 220 pounds. The XL (extra large)
cockpit is featured in the new Duo Discus, and this advanced design
fuselage is used in the new Arcus design. From personal experience
flying in this cockpit and many others for pilots at least 6'3" tall,
I can highly recommend this strategy. The design spec is apparently
at least for pilots 6'10" tall and should be comfortable, even with
warm clothes for high altitude flying.

As I understood my hosts on visiting S-H at Kirchheim Teck, the XL
fuselage is also available as an option for the Nimbus as well as the
Discus series. Although these ships are not among the lowest cost
investments, they do in my opinion offer top level value for soaring
enthusiasts. Sailplanes of interest might also include some of the
DG, LS, and Lange series that are popular with tall pilots.

Old November 27th 10, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

I think the key phrase was "Club class glider or slightly higher" to
define the price being considered.

Gentle Green Giant? Kingfish Piloting 4 November 17th 07 02:43 AM
Giant Waves Hit Iowa Gig 601XL Builder Piloting 3 October 19th 07 10:39 PM
Giant Atmospheric Waves 5Z Soaring 5 October 12th 07 11:08 PM
We deny the giant whisky. Jonas Piloting 0 August 14th 07 03:45 AM
A giant for a glider t-tree Soaring 6 February 9th 07 09:28 PM