PING! Mike Rapoport

Old July 15th 05, 01:06 PM
john smith

Thanks!

Mike Rapoport wrote:
Try: http://mountaincanyonflying.com/index.html

"john smith" wrote in message
Do you have a contact number or URL for a website?

Old July 15th 05, 03:44 PM
Mike Rapoport

I haven't been to Smiley Creek but it is supposed to be one of the nicest
with the most facilities. If you are going Labor Day weekend itself get
there early!

Mike
MU-2

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
Try: http://mountaincanyonflying.com/index.html

http://www.flyidaho.org/old/scenes/idapts_c.html

We're going to Smiley Creek around Labor Day.

Mike Rapoport wrote:
After you move to MT, you might want to go the school in McCall.

Central
ID has some of the most technically challenging airstrips in the US.
They are down in deep canyons often with blind approaches. Once you

can
fly in and out of these places you will feel pretty confident just

about
anywhere else. The school is also a lot of fun.

Old July 15th 05, 03:44 PM
Mike Rapoport

A firm landing (or a bounce) is better than running off the end but it is
better yet to manage power and energy to land smoothly at minimium speed
both forward and vertical. This is easier said than done however!

Rules for flying in ID

"Go flying at 7" (either "7")
"Tie down by 10"

Mike
MU-2

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just a comment on really short landings. I have a Husky and it lands
about as short as anything. Short landings tend to be rough. This is
because your forward speed is low compared to your vertical speed.
Also, a vertical bounce uses up energy. So don't be afraid to "bounce
it in". If you look at the videos of the short landing contests in
Alaska, those guys just plop on, hard, and usually bounce.

The Idaho strips are very challenging. The key in Idaho is don't fly in
the afternoon. Mornings and after 6 pm are much better. For charted
strips, Idaho actually has more challenging stuff than Alaska.

My Husky is for sale, btw. Contact me at
anothername(at)comcast(dot)net. Make the @ and . substitutions.

Doug

Old July 15th 05, 04:09 PM
Matt Barrow

No, the weekend before, thanks. ( I learned LONGGG ago not to travel around
a major holiday)

I'm really looking forward to the trip. This will be my birds first landing
(at least since I've had it) off pavement.

Matt

Old July 15th 05, 04:57 PM
Doug

One thing that works on my Husky is to drag it in, cut the power and
retract the flaps at the point of desired landing from a foot or so off
the ground. This plants me firmly. Then it is a braking contest. How
hard can I brake without nosing over? If the tail comes up during
braking, back off.

There really are two different short field techniques. One where there
is an obstacle, and one with a clear, no obstacle approach. If there is
an obstacle, drag it in along the tops of the trees, cut the power and
come down as steep as possible and get it planted as soon as possible
and on the brakes. You slow down faster on the ground than in the air.
This is where it is good to have a plane with a steep decent
capability.

The other is where you drag it in only a few feet up and flare and dump
the flaps and brake as described.

I really only like to land if I have a times two margin. My Husky can
usually get down in 400' once it touches, at the Idaho 7000' density
altitudes. So I need 900' to be comfortable. Most of those Idaho strips
are long enough. I need less if the landing is uphill. The times two
margin gives me some room for error. I am most nervous on the ones with
no go around.

Biggest problem is winds. If theres much disagreeable wind or
turbulence, just don't do it.

It's nerve wracking to fly around that Idaho wilderness. There are so
many trees, if you lost an engine, not many options. I did a lot of
strips out there on two visits. But I don't go there much anymore. I
guess I think its a little hazardous. Well, more than a little. Some of
those strips, the trees have gotten taller and taller every year. That
and there have been so many fires, the place isn't all that attractive.

But its the place to go for real world small strip experience. If you
can handle those strips, you can handle just about any.

The Alaska stuff is another story. Need inside information to operate
up there. They aren't charted. Nor are they maintained.

Old July 15th 05, 05:30 PM
Mike Rapoport

What I have found to be the best technique in the Helio at about 3100lbs is
to slow way down to about 45kts. This will yeild about 500fpm with 11"MP
which is a steep descent. When I am about 200AGL, I increase speed to 55kts
to provide energy for the flair. You can brake as hard as possible with the
Helio and there is no chance of it nosing over because the gear is so far
forward.

What I found last week is that these speeds and power setting do not work
well at 3400lb. I need quite a bit more speed. I will have to figure out
what the numbers should be. I was quite surprised at the difference.

I agree that there arn't too many options if you have to land but if you hit
the trees at 50-60mph you will live unless you center puntch a large tree.

Mike
MU-2

oups.com...

Old July 15th 05, 05:50 PM
Dale

In article . net,
"Mike Rapoport" wrote:

What I have found to be the best technique in the Helio at about 3100lbs is
to slow way down to about 45kts. This will yeild about 500fpm with 11"MP
which is a steep descent. When I am about 200AGL, I increase speed to 55kts
to provide energy for the flair. You can brake as hard as possible with the
Helio and there is no chance of it nosing over because the gear is so far
forward.

If you're going to end up at 55 on the bottom end why slow to 45?

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old July 15th 05, 05:56 PM
john smith

Mike Rapoport wrote:
What I have found to be the best technique in the Helio at about 3100lbs is
to slow way down to about 45kts. This will yeild about 500fpm with 11"MP
which is a steep descent. When I am about 200AGL, I increase speed to 55kts
to provide energy for the flair. You can brake as hard as possible with the
Helio and there is no chance of it nosing over because the gear is so far
forward.

What I found last week is that these speeds and power setting do not work
well at 3400lb. I need quite a bit more speed. I will have to figure out
what the numbers should be. I was quite surprised at the difference.

Try 50 initial, accelerate to 60 at 3400 lbs.
(that's a guess using math formula based on what you posted)

To be accurate, I need max gross weight and stall speed at max gross.
Old July 15th 05, 07:57 PM
Mike Rapoport

Because the descent angle is too low at 55, it just doesn't want to come
down.

Mike
MU-2

RIP Mike Valentine Mal Soaring 0 December 11th 04 08:27 PM
Rogue's Gallery Update - Mike R's Helio & Mike G's Saratoga Jay Honeck Home Built 1 December 3rd 04 09:16 PM
Rogue's Gallery Update - Mike R's Helio & Mike G's Saratoga Jay Honeck Piloting 1 December 3rd 04 09:16 PM
Rogue's Gallery Update - Mike R's Helio & Mike G's Saratoga Jay Honeck Owning 0 December 3rd 04 08:25 PM
PA28-181 - Stuck Mike - King Silver Crown Roy Page Owning 2 October 29th 04 03:36 AM