Hurricane Dennis cont'd

Old July 9th 05, 03:57 PM
Dan Luke

Default Hurricane Dennis cont'd

Went to Mobile Downtown Airport this morning to fly my airplane out of
harm's way, and ended up leaving it there.

I saw the line guys putting the bizjets in their hangars and, with
minimal begging and pleading, got them to stuff '87D in there with the
Citations and Lears. The building is supposed to be hurricane-proof up
to cat. 3+, and weathered Ivan last year with no damage. If the
hurricane blows *that* hangar down, well, at least my stuff will be
mixed up with some very expensive debris.

The governor has just issued a mandatory evacuation order for everyone
in my county south of I-10, which includes me by about a mile. My house
is about 150' AMSL, so, like most of my neighbors, I'm ignoring the
order. "Mandatory" does not mean they will come force you from your
house if you don't want to go, but it apparently gives gov't agencies
special emergency powers such as enforcing curfews, etc.

The storm lost a lot of punch crossing Cuba, and the latest wind models
predict it will be a strong 2 or weak 3 when it hits--a bit weaker than
Ivan. Four out of five track models have converged on Mobile Bay.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...504_model.html

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 9th 05, 10:43 PM

Good luck with the hurricane Dan. I was pretty much at ground zero for
Frances (cat 2) and Jeanne (cat 3). I chose not to evacuate either, as
I was interested in seeing the hurricanes. I was in a solid house and
safe from flooding, so it wasn't too idiotic. Anyway, it was very
interesting to see the power and magnitude of the storms. Ended up
documenting some of them he

Frances
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y5AD236A9

Jeanne
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2E32676B

Let us know how it goes and stay safe!

Sam

Old July 10th 05, 12:32 AM
Juan Jimenez

I would not count on Dennis to weaken. It's already picked up energy and is
running 140 mph wind gusts. It's expected to make landfall as either a
strong cat 3 or perhaps cat 4.

Old July 10th 05, 01:08 AM

Yeah, I'd be outta there if it was above a 3. Not worth it IMO.

Old July 10th 05, 02:16 AM
Dan Luke

"Juan Jimenez" wrote:
I would not count on Dennis to weaken. It's already picked up energy
and is running 140 mph wind gusts. It's expected to make landfall as
either a strong cat 3 or perhaps cat 4.

Yes, they've waffled on the earlier predictions. Oh, well, it won't be
the first 4 I've been through.

Old July 10th 05, 02:36 AM
Dan Luke

Yeah, I'd be outta there if it was above a 3. Not worth it IMO.

I'm staying. This will be my fourth hurricane to ride out (or maybe
fifth or seventh, I can't remember); this is just one more in the book.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 10th 05, 03:55 AM

Good luck and let us know how you fared. Looks like it's going to be a
nasty one.

Old July 10th 05, 04:09 AM
Dan Luke

Good luck and let us know how you fared.

Thanks. Wilco.

Looks like it's going to be a nasty one.

The 11pm CDT forecast track has it going directly over my house.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...558.shtml?5day

Old July 10th 05, 05:29 AM
Lynne

Hope you have better decision making skills in the air than you do on
the ground.

Old July 10th 05, 06:00 AM
Montblack

("Dan Luke" wrote)
Yes, they've waffled on the earlier predictions. Oh, well, it won't be
the first 4 I've been through.

-27F (below zero) in January is looking pretty good right about now, eh?

Good luck riding out the storm. Keep us posted.

Montblack
I've got a townhouse (2 miles from the airport) I'll sell you if you choose
Minneapolis - I'll even throw in a couple of snow shovels ...and jumper
cables ...and sidewalk de-icer ...and car survival blankets ...and ice
scrapers ...and outdoor thermometers that read down to -40F/-40C ...and
thick wool socks.

Hurricane Dennis Hotel 179 Piloting 32 July 10th 05 04:49 AM
Hurricane AllanStern Military Aviation 1 September 16th 04 06:42 PM
Bell 47 goes down in Muncie, IN [email protected] Rotorcraft 14 August 17th 04 11:29 PM
Dennis Fetters Mini 500 EmailMe Home Built 70 June 21st 04 09:36 PM