Commodious Sailplane?

Old October 8th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Commodious Sailplane?

Add LS-3 to the list; cockpit is nearly identical to the LS-4. I'm 6'3"
and there was more extension in the seatback and pedals in my LS-3.
Though I'm thin (180 lbs.), the cockpit is wide.

But pay attention to the parachute. That can make all the difference.
Even the thinner chutes are often thicker behind the shoulders tapering
as you go down from there. I need the exact opposite to get in my ASW
24 (i.e., reclining further helps).

Also know that removing the seatback is a time-honored remedy for
taller guys in gliders like the ASW 20. And sometimes there are other
steps possible if it's close and the airplane is perfect in every other
respect. My 24, for example, arrived from the factory without a
backrest and it has the rudder pedals extended a few cm and an
aftermarket instrument panel that has higher knee cutouts. Later ASW
models are more accommodating.

There have been many threads on this subject on this newsgroup. Go to
groups.google.com advanced search page and search RAS using terms such
as tall pilot, big cockpit, etc.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old October 9th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

something I've not seen in all of the previous responses..
most of the foriegn built imported into the US gliders that I am familiar
with have a 110kg per seat loading.. that is 242 lbs US.

check the papers , w&b and max seat loading on anything you plan to buy

BT

"Jim" wrote in message
I've been searching for a used sailplane for a month; most are
proportioned
for pilots not-so-large as me. Any recommendations for ships with
commodious
cockpit dimensions?
Jim Hultman
6'3" 240 lb.
Just call me 'Falstaffian".

Old October 9th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

"Jim" wrote in message

I've been searching for a used sailplane for a month; most are
proportioned
for pilots not-so-large as me. Any recommendations for ships with
commodious
cockpit dimensions?
Jim Hultman
6'3" 240 lb.
Just call me 'Falstaffian".

Note that the 242lb is a seatbelt ultimate strength limit, not a weight and
balance issue. A little lead in the tail can sort that out easily.

Personally I doubt I would be interested in the difference between my seatbelt
failing at 15G or 14G, but if you want to fly a certified ship...
Old October 9th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

It may be the seatbelt or anchor point structural limit and may not be
the W/B limit. It's derived from the JAR22 miniumum maximum
specification. Some airworthiness authorities do not recognize JAR22,
however they often do specify operating within the stated operating
manual/POH and placarded limits. Likewise, your insurance underwriter
might have some specific compliance limitations.

YMMV,

Frank Whiteley

Old October 9th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Frank.. I agree.. my books say 242# per seat.. period.. impact integraty for
the required g-impact rating for certification.. put a 300# person in the
seat.. you may be within W&B.. but not impact rating..
so long insurance
BT

ups.com...

Old October 10th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson[_1_]

"Jim" wrote in message

I've been searching for a used sailplane for a month; most are
proportioned
for pilots not-so-large as me. Any recommendations for ships with
commodious
cockpit dimensions?
Jim Hultman
6'3" 240 lb.
Just call me 'Falstaffian".

Note that the 242lb is a seatbelt ultimate strength limit, not a weight
and
balance issue. A little lead in the tail can sort that out easily.

Personally I doubt I would be interested in the difference between my
seatbelt
failing at 15G or 14G, but if you want to fly a certified ship...

Hmmm, you're within w&b, run into a downdraft, big sink, or rainshower
perhaps just as you're getting back to the gliderport, come up short of
the runway and break your bird. Being over 242 lbs. and therefore
exceeding the rating for the seat/seatbelts contributes to the accident
how???? I rather doubt that the insurance company would spend that much
time looking for reasons not to pay. For what it's worth, I've pranged
a glider and didn't get a single question from the insurance company
beyond "give us a description of what happened". If they were that
motivated to find discrepancies, I bet very few people would get payouts.

Now, if it was a passenger that was hurt in the accident and he/she was
over the seat rating, that would be a differnt case, particularly if
there was a seat/seatbelt related failure during the prang.

I don't see it happening in a single seater though.
Old October 10th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars

Oh for crying out loud! Anyone who is over 242# really needs to summon his
willpower and lose 30-40#, then the problem will be solved... along with
numerous other health problems.

Is self discipline no longer in fashion these days?

Old October 10th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Guy Byars wrote:
Oh for crying out loud!

Always amazed me that the 110kg limit stuck around with beer drinking a
national sport in Germany.

Jim,
I agree with the AS-W20 or 19 or B-fuselage Schempp (post-Ventus B),
or LS-3 or 4 ideas. There are probably great deals on 2900-hour Pegase,
too!
AS-W27/28 are as comfy as it gets, but I think you originally were
looking at Ka-6, so a far reach.
Many cockpits can be modified to suit taller pilots. For example, my
LS-6a (they appear at first to be too small for many pilots) got
something similar to the "Harry Wuentzel mod": Cut the headrest off and
bond it back on at more of an angle. This allows the seat back to be
reclined further. Also cut new holes higher up for the shoulder belts,
so they're comfortable if pulled tight against the 5th point. Suddenly,
it's a tall cockpit, although a little tight for wide shouldered
pilots.
Make sure you're doing mods to an "Experimental" glider.
Jim

Old October 10th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
UFO

I bet with all of the G forces when thermaling, it is easier to " dump
your balast" in a "commodious sailplane"?

John Sullivan

Old October 11th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_6_]

Next thing you'll be telling me to stop driving my Navigator to McDonald's!
Looking forward 50 years, when Americans are average 6'6", I wonder who'll
be building our sailplanes?
But your real issue may be an assumption that trim people are 'sharper'
pilots. I welcome your proof, even if anecdotal.
Jim

.. .

Jet sailplane update Bob C Soaring 0 April 13th 06 08:06 AM
HpH 304CZ as first sailplane fcnorton Soaring 29 March 31st 06 01:47 AM
Duster Plans For Sale - BJ-1b fullsize sailplane plans WoodHawk Soaring 0 April 25th 05 04:37 AM
Ultralight sailplane aerotow liability Caracole Soaring 18 April 1st 04 09:17 PM
Electro-self-launching sailplane clement Soaring 5 September 12th 03 05:03 AM