Silver Distance Denied

Old April 1st 15, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Default Silver Distance Denied

As a newer pilot, I have found the badge pursuit process an outstanding way to continue learning after getting your license.

The increasing level of difficulty and training required at each step proved invaluable. I was really happy for all that training the first time I had to landout. (And the second and the third)

A, B, C, Bronze, and Silver done - working on Gold this year!

Lou

Old April 1st 15, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

True, OLC makes it easy to score by just yoyoing in a cloud street without getting out of glide of your home airport, but it is up to the pilot to decide how far to push the boundary. Here in Central California we always try to push the boundary and not just run the cloud streets, we declare minimum tasks and try to fly much further.
And for those who want true pre declared tasks there is the BHC OLC which requires pre declaration.
Many of our accomplished XC pilots never bothered to apply for badges.

Ramy
Old April 1st 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 12:56:31 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
True, OLC makes it easy to score by just yoyoing in a cloud street without getting out of glide of your home airport, but it is up to the pilot to decide how far to push the boundary. Here in Central California we always try to push the boundary and not just run the cloud streets, we declare minimum tasks and try to fly much further.
And for those who want true pre declared tasks there is the BHC OLC which requires pre declaration.
Many of our accomplished XC pilots never bothered to apply for badges.

Ramy

Why not do both at the same time? The paperwork is straight forward and only slightly painful.
Old April 1st 15, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R. Suppards

=
getting out of glide of your home airport, but it is up to the pilot to
dec=
ide how far to push the boundary. Here in Central California we always

try
=
to push the boundary and not just run the cloud streets, we declare
minimum=
tasks and try to fly much further.=20
And for those who want true pre declared tasks there is the BHC OLC which
r=
equires pre declaration.=20
Many of our accomplished XC pilots never bothered to apply for badges.=20

Ramy

And if they visit Europe (and many other Countries), the lack of a Silver C
will mark them down as a "WOBBLY" and limit what they will be allowed to
fly/do.

Old April 1st 15, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

snip

And if they visit Europe (and many other Countries), the lack of a Silver C
will mark them down as a "WOBBLY" and limit what they will be allowed to
fly/do.

snip

THAT's sort of the point I've been trying to make. Many operations
won't let you leave the immediate area of the airport unless you have at
least a Silver distance. If you have your own glider then do what you
want and have a great time.

Dan Marotta

Old April 1st 15, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Look at this as a blessing in disguise. In future years, you would be embarrassed having a Silver badge leg from Minden. Diamond altitude is the only badge leg a self respecting pilot would take from Minden.
Old April 2nd 15, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Hmm, if someone shows up without a silver badge but with 500km flights documented on OLC those clubs wouldn't count that? I doubt it.

Ramy
Old April 2nd 15, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Not in the parts of Europe I know.

Le mercredi 1 avril 2015 22:31:37 UTC+2, Dan Marotta a écrit*:
snip

And if they visit Europe (and many other Countries), the lack of a Silver C
will mark them down as a "WOBBLY" and limit what they will be allowed to
fly/do.
snip

THAT's sort of the point I've been trying to make.* Many operations
won't let you leave the immediate area of the airport unless you
have at least a Silver distance.* If you have your own glider then
do what you want and have a great time.

Dan Marotta

Acheiving Silver Distance 50KM Scott Alexander Soaring 9 July 19th 08 02:07 PM
ACCESS DENIED! GARY BOGGS Soaring 6 May 17th 08 08:30 AM
Airport Access Denied? GARY BOGGS Soaring 13 May 6th 08 01:47 AM
Silver Distance Graham Hodgson Soaring 58 June 15th 04 09:09 AM
Military Justice Denied ArtKramr Military Aviation 3 January 10th 04 07:20 PM