PW-5 US National Contest June 19-29, 2006

Old April 6th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PW-5 US National Contest June 19-29, 2006

The PW-5 (World Class) US Nationals are June 19-29, 2006 at Marfa, west
Texas.

It's time to register for the 2006 PW-5 National Contest via the SSA
website. We are about 75 days away from the first contest day and I
need to consider our logistics, towplanes, social events, budget, etc.
to make the contest run smoothly.

Bill Snead, John Byrd and Tom McKnight have been practicing at Marfa.
Like them, you can park your sailplane here at my hangar and commute
via airline through El Paso (ELP) or Midland (MAF), TX.

The World Class (PW-5) US Nationals will be June 19 - 29, but we fly
year-round at Marfa. Bring your crew and start soaring now over the
Marfa plateau and the Davis Mountains. Fly the terrain seen in the
"Sunship Game" movie! See the current El Paso sectional or WAC CH-23
for flight planning. (Marfa is between Carlsbad Caverns and Big Bend
National Parks.) Bill Snead has placed some of his flights on the OLC.

You'll need oxygen installed in your glider (portable works well) as
Marfa Airport (MRF) field elevation is 5,000' msl and cloudbases are
typically above 15,000' msl. Email me for our "Pre-Marfa Projects"
file for a list of items you should accomplish for your glider and
trailer before hitting the road to southwest Texas.

We strongly recommend you bring a chase-crew to Marfa. ELT's will be
mandatory if no dedicated / assigned crew. Veteran Marfa pilots John
Byrd and Bill Snead always have a crew (Ann & Nancy) ready to roll.

Antennas: Since cellphone coverage is sparse, a tall (about 5 feet)
car antenna is recommended such as the "5/8 wave" magnetic mount Larsen
VHF antenna found at wingsandwheels.com (page 14). The little
rubber-ducky antennas on your handheld crew radio just don't have the
range. A proper (1/4 wave or 5/8 wave) antenna will help that handheld
work well in your crew car, and good radio communications will make
your crew happy, and perhaps reduce your waiting time if you land
off-airport. Check your handheld if case you need a bayonet (BNC) or
screw-on antenna cable adaptor when you order the taller antenna.

Registration for the 2006 World Class Contest is via the SSA website
www.ssa.org (We need more registrations!) Please contact me if you
need more info or an accommodations list. Two movies are in
production near Marfa so the motels are filling up here, but scenic
Fort Davis (just 18 miles north) offers more motel & restaurant
options. RV Camping (hardside only / no tents) is available on the
Marfa (MRF) airport. Let me know how I can assist you!

There is more Marfa info on our website, under the PW-5 button at
www.flygliders.com

Please communicate with us so we can plan a good contest for you!
email:

Burt & Kathie Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.flygliders.com