The new Fork Tailed Doctor Killer

Old March 17th 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Default The new Fork Tailed Doctor Killer

Time moves along... The old V-tails are no longer the status symbol...
It appears to me that the Cirrus line of aircraft has become the new
"fork tailed doctor killer", along with stock broker, dentist, lawyer,
etc...

http://tinyurl.com/yqt94a

denny
Old March 17th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Denny,

It appears to me that the Cirrus line of aircraft has become the new
"fork tailed doctor killer", along with stock broker, dentist, lawyer,
etc...

And the statistics you base that "appearance" in can be found where? I'd
be very interested...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 17th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AJ

I've heard the therm "doctor killer" before, but I have no idea how it
came to be. Where did it come from? (I have an idea, but I've been
wronf sooooo many times ...)
Old March 17th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Tom, don't have statistic 'one'... What I do have is a set of MK-I
eyeballs... And I know what I see at the airports, and I know what the
'professionals' in my area are buying...
Of the 3 new Cirrus in the area, each one is owned by a professional
who is light in cross country, hi-perf, flying time and heavy in the
wallet... One has already given up flying after pranging his Cirrus 20
for the third time in 18 months and losing his insurance... Good
thing, as we had him ear marked for a black ribbon on the wall... The
other two are still a work in progress...

What I see is the hard charging, 40 something, professionals, buying
this machine and taking it into sloppy weather, going skiing, night
time mountain departures, canyon flying including NYC, and so on...
Just like they used to do with the V-Tails... In sloppy weather -
200/300 and a half - we get primarily two kinds of airplanes hitting
the ramp at my hangout... Pro pilot turbine stuff, and
'professionals' driving a Cirrus or a Malibu... Seems like more Cirrus
in recent years...

denny
Old March 17th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 17, 10:46*am, Denny wrote:
[...]

The fault is not the airplane, it is and always has been this class of
pilot. Piloting is primarily a skillset of judgement and caution,
along with plane handling skills. Many who get into flying tend to
think that plane handling skills are primary, when in fact they are
secondary to judgement, planning and caution. Anyone who pushes their
own limits too far is likely to wind up a statistic.

The simple fact that Cirrus is outselling most other models means that
statistically you are going to have more low time cocky types flying
them, and that is what also gave the Bonanza its reputation.
Arrogance, in flying, is the deadliest sin.

Dean
Old March 17th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Denny" wrote:

What I see is the hard charging, 40 something, professionals, buying
this machine and taking it into sloppy weather, going skiing, night
time mountain departures, canyon flying including NYC, and so on...
Just like they used to do with the V-Tails... In sloppy weather -
200/300 and a half -

Cirrus marketing must come in for some of the blame for this.

They've always sold the idea that the airplane has a safety edge because of
its avionics (not anymore) and parachute. I think new pilots with money
believe it. How can such a slick, technically advanced vehicle get them
into trouble? They don't have the experience to realize that it's still an
airplane and it will auger in just like any of them if they fly it when or
where they shouldn't.

That said, I think the SR-22 is a terrific airplane, especially the model
with a TAT on it. If only the wings were in the right place...

--
Dan

T-182T at 4R4

Old March 17th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:16:09 -0400, Bill Watson wrote:

As time moves along, I've begun to realize that the casual trashing of
Doctor/Dentist/Lawyer pilots is as distasteful and probably as
wrong-headed as other kinds of stereotyping.

I donno... I've more than one instructor tell me that they hate "Doctor
students".

--
Dallas
Old March 17th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Bill - Yup it's probably not PC to call em like I see em, but I do -
when you have been hanging around airports as long as I have you
develop an attitude... See Dean's accurate analysis...

Dean - Right On...

Dan - it is a nice machine... It is a fast and complex airplane- and
needs a pilot of that skill level...

Dallas - Me too!

The facts are simple: He put his son into a single engine plane with
him and made a night takeoff into a no horizon black pit, directly at
a mountain... This is a no margin gamble and he rolled craps...

cheers ... denny
Old March 17th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:34:46 -0700 (PDT), Denny
wrote:

The facts are simple: He put his son into a single engine plane with
him and made a night takeoff into a no horizon black pit, directly at
a mountain... This is a no margin gamble and he rolled craps...

Just like JFK Jr. Tragic.

This sort of accident seems to happen all too often. I don't recall
anything in the private licensing curricula about horizonless night
flight hazards. Perhaps it got overlooked, and it's time the FAA took
steps to include it in pilot training.

It does seem to be addressed in this
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pil...alD_Seeing.pdf.

That said, it is pretty apparent that the pilot failed to plan his
flight on the ground as he was taught before departing. That's a bad
habit to get into.

Old March 17th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This sort of accident seems to happen all too often. *I don't recall
anything in the private licensing curricula about horizonless night
flight hazards. *Perhaps it got overlooked, and it's time the FAA took
steps to include it in pilot training.

Actually that is covered in PPL training. In particular the "Airplane
Flying Handbook" covers the many of the nighttime hazaards.

It's also covered in the checkride but only orally.

I wonder if Denny might enlighten us about what non-pilot profession
gets his thumbs up as far as accident rates go. If the Bonanza and
Cirrus are popularly referred to as "Doctor Killers", then I guess 30
year old C150s and C152s must be the "Average Working Stiff Killers".
Or maybe doctors and lawyers lead the charge there too?