AD NSI CAP Prop

Old October 27th 04, 09:00 PM
Ghost

Default AD NSI CAP Prop

This summer an RAA member suffered the loss of a prop blade on his =
amphibious 912S Kitfox, that was equipped with a NSI CAP 140 =
propeller.The engine immediately broke from its mount, but fortunately =
was retained by the hoses and cables. The pilot was able to make a =
successful emergency landing with the departed blade stuck into his =
float.

The NSI CAP 140 prop is in-flight adjustable and has three Warp Drive =
blades that are modified by the addition of an aluminum cuff that fits =
into the NSI hub. There have so far been two versions of this cuff, with =
a third version about to be released. Some applications will have their =
effective lives limited by this AD, and others are grounded immediately. =
New version 3 parts are not yet ready, so some planes will be grounded =
until parts are available near the end of this year.

Effective immediately, all 912S Rotax engines with either the version =
1 or version 2 cuff are grounded. These parts may not be used any =
longer. Ship your blades to NSI for installation of the version 3 cuff. =
Lance Wheeler has told me this morning that the cost will be under $500 =
US.

Effective immediately, all 912 engines with the version 1 cuff are =
limited to 500 hours. All 912 engines with the version 2 cuff are =
limited to 1000 hours. Blades must then be shipped to NSI for =
installation of the version 3 cuff.

Effective immediately, all 914 engines with the version 1 cuff are =
limited to 700 hours. All 914 engines with the version 2 cuff are =
limited to 1000 hours. Blades must then be shipped to NSI for =
installation of the version 3 cuff.

In Lance Wheeler's estimate, blades fitted with the version 3 cuff =
will have an effective life of 2000 hours.This estimate has been =
calculated by Finite Element Analysis. The full story on this will be =
printed in the next issue of the Recreational Flyer.

Gary Wolf
President, RAA Canada

--=20
For Sale:=20
Parachute, used once, never opened, small Stain
Old October 27th 04, 09:48 PM
Morgans

"Ghost" wrote

Snip

Effective immediately, all 912S Rotax engines with either the version 1
or version 2 cuff are grounded. These parts may not be used any longer. Ship
your blades to NSI for installation of the version 3 cuff. Lance Wheeler has
told me this morning that the cost will be under $500 US.

Snip

Gary Wolf
President, RAA Canada

Although I have no dog in this fight, it would be a cold day in He**, before
I would pay $500 for the "privilege" to do some more "flight testing" of
this product.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old October 27th 04, 11:53 PM
Dave S

Morgans wrote:

"Ghost" wrote

Snip

Effective immediately, all 912S Rotax engines with either the version 1
or version 2 cuff are grounded. These parts may not be used any longer. Ship
your blades to NSI for installation of the version 3 cuff. Lance Wheeler has
told me this morning that the cost will be under $500 US.

Snip

Gary Wolf
President, RAA Canada

Although I have no dog in this fight, it would be a cold day in He**, before
I would pay $500 for the "privilege" to do some more "flight testing" of
this product.

So.. how much would you pay for the priveledge of flight testing a Lyc
or Continental crankshaft after the most recent recall on those products?

Dave

Old October 28th 04, 03:32 AM
Morgans

"Dave S" wrote

So.. how much would you pay for the priveledge of flight testing a Lyc
or Continental crankshaft after the most recent recall on those products?

Dave

Not very well. If a manufacturer screws up, it ought to foot the bill for
all costs incurred.

I'm not flying at present because of some medical issues, but once I get
that squared away, plus the finances recovered from said problems, I would
much rather test fly my *own* homebrew power plant. g
--
Jim in NC

---

Old October 28th 04, 06:36 AM
Dave S

Morgans wrote:
"Dave S" wrote

So.. how much would you pay for the priveledge of flight testing a Lyc
or Continental crankshaft after the most recent recall on those products?

Dave

Not very well. If a manufacturer screws up, it ought to foot the bill for
all costs incurred.

I'm not flying at present because of some medical issues, but once I get
that squared away, plus the finances recovered from said problems, I would
much rather test fly my *own* homebrew power plant. g

Can I interest you in the Mazda Rotary line of power? Very few
catastrophic failure modes...

Dave

Old October 28th 04, 08:58 AM
Barnyard BOb -

I'm not flying at present because of some medical issues, but once I get
that squared away, plus the finances recovered from said problems,

I would
much rather test fly my *own* homebrew power plant. g
--
Jim in NC

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CORVAIR or Volkswagen derivative?

Barnyard BOb -

Old October 28th 04, 02:41 PM
Morgans

I'm not flying at present because of some medical issues, but once I get
that squared away, plus the finances recovered from said problems,

I would
much rather test fly my *own* homebrew power plant. g
--
Jim in NC

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CORVAIR or Volkswagen derivative?

Barnyard BOb -

I *knew* this would bring you back from the dead. g Simply too much to
resist!

Nothing air-cooled, thank you. I'm thinking water cooled, and smaller, to
fit in the sport pilot class. A Chevy 4.3 would be great, but I would have
to make an airframe that weighed about 57 pounds. g Not likely.

Motorcycle engine? Soob? I don't know. I've got a while to think about
it.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old October 28th 04, 04:17 PM
Ron Webb

.. A Chevy 4.3 would be great, but I would have
to make an airframe that weighed about 57 pounds. g Not likely.

I don't know...when I finished welding my MoHawk fuselage (Kitfox clone) I
weighed it, and it weighed (oddly enough) 57#.

You just can't add wings...or fabric...or landing gear... or paint, ...or...

Old October 28th 04, 09:22 PM
Russell Kent

"Dave S" wrote:
Can I interest you in the Mazda Rotary line of power? Very few
catastrophic failure modes...

Don't get me wrong: I love the Mazda (more properly "Wankel"), too. But the
single most common causes of engine failure apply to it as well: fuel
problems. And because every Wankel installation is a unique experimental
installation, it is perhaps more at risk of problems than your
run-of-the-mill Lycoming installation.

As best as I see it, there's only one certain way to avoid engine or prop
failu fly a glider!

Russell Kent

Old October 29th 04, 04:06 AM
Morgans

"Ron Webb" wrote

I don't know...when I finished welding my MoHawk fuselage (Kitfox clone) I
weighed it, and it weighed (oddly enough) 57#.

You just can't add wings...or fabric...or landing gear... or paint,

....or...

Yep, that's strange.

Thing is, I like skin....and landing gear... and wings...and all that other
*stuff*.
--
Jim in NC

---

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
Prop Pitch Question Eugene Wendland Home Built 2 April 25th 04 03:22 AM
Clup prop Corky Scott Home Built 8 November 15th 03 04:39 AM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM